Revisionist History

Yes, running it up on cupcakes sure proves how good our offense is.

Fo stats are not only opponent-adjusted but also only consider plays and drives when the game is "competitive," differing margins by quarter, iirc,

As has been noted a few times, the biggest change between 08-09 and 10-12 wasn't the offense but the defense. We lost many of gailey's players, but we still kept quite a few. We still had nesbitt, allen, and hill leading our offense.

I think what hurt most was hiring groh. It says something when firing your DC half way through a season yields a significant improvement. (although, monken and preston leaving may have hurt as well.)

Have an NFL-caliber front 7? Man that's so easy, dunno why no one else thought of it :rolleyes:

Nope. They went to a modified 4-3 which was really a 4-2 with linebackers outside the tackles and the middle linebacker set deep like a safety. That defense allowed man to man coverage on the wide receivers and two safties plus the middle linebacker to come up fast on the perimeter.

Go back and look just how successful we have been against teams running that defense with really good tackling MLB and safties.

Take the dive man and plant the QB (force the pitch) and let the linebacker and safties come up - works.

Now if the offense can throw more and force a more balanced defense?

Nope. They went to a modified 4-3 which was really a 4-2 with linebackers outside the tackles and the middle linebacker set deep like a safety. That defense allowed man to man coverage on the wide receivers and two safties plus the middle linebacker to come up fast on the perimeter.

Go back and look just how successful we have been against teams running that defense with really good tackling MLB and safties.

Take the dive man and plant the QB (force the pitch) and let the linebacker and safties come up - works.

Now if the offense can throw more and force a more balanced defense?

The bit of hope is that is exactly how we made the Georgia game a Game. Being able to go out and have real success against that defense (maybe not exactly the same defense but similar principle) may help us in confidence against it in the future, with the VT game showing how bad it can get when that confidence isn't there.

The bit of hope is that is exactly how we made the Georgia game a Game. Being able to go out and have real success against that defense (maybe not exactly the same defense but similar principle) may help us in confidence against it in the future, with the VT game showing how bad it can get when that confidence isn't there.

UGA did not play the defense that Iowa used. But, BYU did - two years in a row and we couldn't find a way to make our offense go against it. But, against UGA we did come out throwing the ball and it forced them to play us balanced.

UGA did not play the defense that Iowa used. But, BYU did - two years in a row and we couldn't find a way to make our offense go against it. But, against UGA we did come out throwing the ball and it forced them to play us balanced.

Guess I should say that UGA went with what VT did the last two years rather than what Iowa did, at least seemed more that way.

Revisionism continues. There is no blueprint discovered by iowa which works regardless of team. VPI and BYU have been top 5, top 10 Ds. They slow down and stop most Os. Duke ran that D and we scored 38 leaving points on the field.

Revisionism continues. There is no blueprint discovered by iowa which works regardless of team. VPI and BYU have been top 5, top 10 Ds. They slow down and stop most Os. Duke ran that D and we scored 38 leaving points on the field.

But Duke is Duke. We need to demonstrate we can beat strong programs.

the worst we've performed on offense is against the best d-lines. Even a bad defense with a great d-line has given us fits.

This.

I'd like to see a list of average or worse defenses that have even slowed us down, much less actually stopped us. I'd imagine it's incredibly short.

On the other side of that same coin, I could probably make a long list of average defenses that shut down the pro-style offense we ran under Chan Gailey, even though we had better offensive talent then than now. The ACCCG debacle vs. Wake immediately comes to mind.

Nobody has figured out our offensive scheme. That's just ridiculous.

Until, the offensive line gets fixed we will remain where we are now. Our talent level is no better than what I watched in the SoCon this past year. With an above par OL they can make qb's and rb's look great.

This.

I'd like to see a list of average or worse defenses that have even slowed us down, much less actually stopped us. I'd imagine it's incredibly short.

On the other side of that same coin, I could probably make a long list of average defenses that shut down the pro-style offense we ran under Chan Gailey, even though we had better offensive talent then than now. The ACCCG debacle vs. Wake immediately comes to mind.

Nobody has figured out our offensive scheme. That's just ridiculous.

:thumbup:

Until, the offensive line gets fixed we will remain where we are now. Our talent level is no better than what I watched in the SoCon this past year. With an above par OL they can make qb's and rb's look great.

Dead on. A great qb or rb behind a weak OL will look average at best most of the time. Put an average qb or rb behind a good or great line and they'll put up fantastic stats.

Thanks for the insight. What are you basing this on primarily, run blocking? pass blocking? Both?

Still, I think that you make a pretty good case for CPJ as our coach, regardless. If we can be #17 in yards/carry vs FBS opponents, #9 vs BCS AQ (#8 of teams playing more than 1 BCS AQ team), behind an FCS caliber offensive line, our scheme must be incredible.

For what it's worth, I don't think the talent level of our OL had much impact on Vad's ability to make option reads. In some cases, it did but not in most, imo. If Vad gets better in making reads, we'll probably move from a top 25 offense to a top 15, even if OL talent remains the same, imo.

We are #4 in the country in converting Redzone appearances into TDs against BCS AQ teams (for teams playing more than 4 BCS AQ teams). We did this behind an FCS caliber offensive line. We certainly don't want to be getting rid of our coach.

IMO, the problem with our offense is not the offensive line. We line up in the same formation for almost every play. CPJ sends in a play and it looks like we run it as called almost all the time.

More and more I see good defensive teams stunting to disrupt our option flow. They don't telegraph what they are doing.

We are becoming very predictable.

And true, we don't have a problem against teams without solid defenses, but we have lost a lot of games over the past two years because our offense has not been able to move the ball and eat the clock to put the ballgame away - VA Tech, Miami, Clemson, UGA, etc.

And, I will admit that not having a stud QB like Josh to get the two or three yards when we need them has been a big part of the problem with running ball control offense.

But, if you don't have that guy, you need to go to something that doesn't need him.

Back