Richt Retires

I find it amazing that so many GT fans make comments without keeping up with what goes on in CFB (not you OP)

Part of Kirby's immediate success at UGA is that UGA changed the rules to his benefit that Richt didn't have

UGA changed their stance on drug & alcohol violations and labelled them as a disease, and they changed their policy from punishment to helping the SA "cure his disease" ( how liberal of them), especially since the FB program no longer starts each season with 3 to 6 starters suspended for 2 to 4 games, Richt didn't have this advantage that Kirby has

This was a move by the school of wanting to be more like Bama after Kirby was hired

I can't prove this but I still have a gut feeling that someone from UGAs Athl Dept got to the Clarke Co Sheriff's Dept, maybe they increased the amount they pay the Officers for traffic duty at UGA Athl Events, but something major happened

When Richt was there he couldn't keep his players from getting arrested on petty crap from the good 'Ol Boys working for CCSD--- as soon as Kirby got hired, nothing, nada, not 1 arrest in going on 4 years, that's damn near impossible in Athens

So after Kirby got hired UGA did some things structurally to emulate Bama that they weren't doing when Richt was the HC

Gotta take this into account when comparing the 2

Kirby is one of theirs. Richt never was.
Remember, Richt instituted character education for his players around 01, 02. And then a few went and sold their SEC championship rings sometime after that.

I agree there might be a more "look the other way" approach in Athens these days. Just a gut feeling.

I've never talked to or met Kirby. Did talk to Richt a couple of times. Other than being a Dwag, he was all right.

The Diaz hire just seems like a typical Miami thing to do, like when they hired Larry Coker to replace Butch Davis, or Randy Shannon to replace Coker.

I think he lasts 3-4 years.

Back