Richt Retires

You mean other than play for a national title?
Richt didn’t have the Playoffs. He would have been in the Playoffs in 2002. Uga finished the regular season #3 in 2002. they won the SEC that year. 2003 lost in the SEC championship to Sabans National Champion LSU . They were ranked no. 5 going into the SEC championship in 2003. Almost identical to Kirby.

FSU, UM, UF, Texas, and several others should win 9-10 games every year.
Entrance requirements?
Curriculum offerings?
Unsupportive administrators?
Calculus?
Poor recruiting?
Fundraising?
Wonder what their shibboleths are?

Thank heavens this is still a human game and it’s not all decided in smoke filled rooms based on stats and eye test.

I dunno. Smart in less than a season was able to capaitalixe the same way on UGAg’s talent that richt failed to do with both them and Da U. I think that speaks to how ööööty of a coach he actually was. No clue about why Golden and others weren’t able to have success.

The last thing I want is a coastal division full of 6-7 win teams, but having a Miami team at their full potential in addition to a Clemson and UGA team on our schedule every year scares the öööö out of me.

Salient comments about his coaching ability. That makes his 3-15 run against us hurt more.

Richt didn’t have the Playoffs. He would have been in the Playoffs in 2002. Uga finished the regular season #3 in 2002. they won the SEC that year. 2003 lost in the SEC championship to Sabans National Champion LSU . They were ranked no. 5 going into the SEC championship in 2003. Almost identical to Kirby.
I hate UGA just as much as anybody on this board. It would be crazy talk, though, to say Smart hasn't elevated UGA beyond what Richt accomplished there. UGA recruiting has hit Alabama level and that's not hyperbole. They are dominating everyone in the SEC not named Saban/Alabama. It feels like a matter of time before they take down Bama, who has had to make double digit comebacks two games in a row against UGA. We will see 10 years from now if Kirby can sustain this for a decade+ like Richt.

Kirby has done the same in his first few years that Richt did in his first few years. The question will be, how long will UGA tolerate the intermittent 8-5 seasons that every coach other than Saban has?
8-5 gets you fired at Houston.

Bradley's article was pretty brutal, largely true, but still brutal for a coach with Richt's overall record. A lot of schools would kill, or even cheat, for most of those years. Da U may be as delusional as Houston at this point.

Richt also didn't have as easy a division as Kirby does now. When he first got there, Fulmer still had Tennessee at a high level and the mid to late 2000's were dominated by Tebow and Florida in addition to Spurrier at South Carolina. Give Richt the current SEC East from 2002-2007, he probably wins a NC if not two.

I hate UGA just as much as anybody on this board. It would be crazy talk, though, to say Smart hasn't elevated UGA beyond what Richt accomplished there. UGA recruiting has hit Alabama level and that's not hyperbole. They are dominating everyone in the SEC not named Saban/Alabama. It feels like a matter of time before they take down Bama, who has had to make double digit comebacks two games in a row against UGA. We will see 10 years from now if Kirby can sustain this for a decade+ like Richt.
The east was a lot better when Richt started as compared to the east Smart has. Tennessee is a dumpster fire that is just now being controlled. Florida has been junk post Urban. South Carolina is a shell of what it was under Spurrier. Vanderbilt and Kentucky are better but there was only up for both of them. Missouri is nothing scary.

Richt also didn't have as easy a division as Kirby does now. When he first got there, Fulmer still had Tennessee at a high level and the mid to late 2000's were dominated by Tebow and Florida in addition to Spurrier at South Carolina. Give Richt the current SEC East from 2002-2007, he probably wins a NC if not two.
Didn’t see this before my post.

The east was a lot better when Richt started as compared to the east Smart has. Tennessee is a dumpster fire that is just now being controlled. Florida has been junk post Urban. South Carolina is a shell of what it was under Spurrier. Vanderbilt and Kentucky are better but there was only up for both of them. Missouri is nothing scary.
Missouri is a mistake. They will never win the SEC. Ever.

Please don't hire Tony Elliot. I know people say, "But, yeah, he's got 5 stars at Clemson." He'll get that kind of QB and receivers to Miami, and look what he's done with it at Clemson.

agreed, tho I think Mullen will get Florida fixed fast. He's still got a little bit of work to do but I think they got, for them, the right guy at the right time.
The SEC West, other than Bama, can be pretty shaky. Auburn is up and down like the stock market (or your mom, whichever analogy works best. Or anal-ogy. Stingtalk ... home of the endless your mom jokes. But I digress). LSU is good, but nobody is scared by their offense. A&M has some personnel and I think Jimbo is a big upgrade over Sumlin. If he gets any kind of defense in there, they could be really tough. Arkansas? Bleh. Ole Miss and Missy State aren't pushovers, but I think they may be headed back to the cycle of decent/dogmeat year in/year out again.
Kentucky and Vanderbilt ... yeah, they had a long way to go and still have a bit of a climb. Don't see either getting to the top.
It will be interesting to see how Pruitt does the next couple of years at Knoxvegas. That is not an overnight fix. And they had some highly ranked recruiting classes under Lyle.

Not a false statement but UF did win 10 games this year and UGA still beats up on the SEC-West, generally. Clearly they are on a huge upswing and it is just a matter of time before they take down Bama. Once that hurdle happens, I hate to think about the Clemson-like step up to uber elite status they are about to take.

I don't get the love for Diaz. Resume looks "meh". May be good for us.

Back