Richt Retires

Paul Johnson "copycat"!

"I am retiring" - Translation: I would be shamefully fired otherwise.
Sad but true, it is the nature of the beast. Of course they didnt accept mediocrity as long as GT did

You mean other than play for a national title?
Richt would have had UGA in a 4-team playoff in 2002 and 2007 for sure. There are other years where he would have maybe had a shot too.

Richt was really, really good at Georgia

Richt would have had UGA in a 4-team playoff in 2002 and 2007 for sure. There are other years where he would have maybe had a shot too.

2002 for sure. Maybe his best team. 2005 probably because SEC champs and an SEC team is always getting in a 4-team playoff. 2007, probably. Tennessee lost SEC champ so either LSU or UGA or both go to playoff. UGA was probably the best team in the country but he did lose big to Tennessee. 2012, UGA and Bama were two best teams so he almost for sure gets in and plays Bama again for the NC.

He would have made some playoff appearances but who knows he may have Kirby-ed them.

They were one of the best teams in football every year David Greene was QB

They were one of the best teams in football every year David Greene was QB

Fromm and Greene are both such great college QBs. If UGA goes through both of their careers with no national championships, that is unreal. Hopefully Fromm leaves after his junior year, but he may stay to try and win the NC his senior season if they don’t win it next year.

Fromm and Greene are both such great college QBs. If UGA goes through both of their careers with no national championships, that is unreal. Hopefully Fromm leaves after his junior year, but he may stay to try and win the NC his senior season if they don’t win it next year.
You can thank Chan for them not winning a championship. Chan got Calvin here.

Not a false statement but UF did win 10 games this year and UGA still beats up on the SEC-West, generally. Clearly they are on a huge upswing and it is just a matter of time before they take down Bama. Once that hurdle happens, I hate to think about the Clemson-like step up to uber elite status they are about to take.

UGA is capable but I'm not drinking that kind of Kirby Kool-Aid just yet.

I wouldn't say that UGA beats up on the west. They are .500 over the last 5 years against the West. 1-2 this season.

Who is going to be the one to tell Richt that GT already hired a coach?

I hope it is not too late for him to unretire. Abort Abort!

I don't get the love for Diaz. Resume looks "meh". May be good for us.

I think a lot depends on his OC hire. They have talent on D, though I don't know how much they are losing. Their LBs were damn fast.
If they get any kind of competent QB play, they'll be plenty tough to deal with.
Maybe Richt realized he wasn't taking over the Miami of 1995 and decided ... I'm gonna go do something easier ... like bring the gospel to cannibals.

Wake won't ever win the ACC again

They'll be lucky to win the Atlantic.
Clemson may be in that self-perpetuating mode where unless something really stupid happens, they can just auto pilot into at least 9 wins a year.
FSU ... man, so much talent, resources ... and it's going to waste in the blink of an eye. They ever get straightened out, well, we've seen what good FSU is like.

and dammit, don't remind me of that godawful day in Jacksonville. F---ing bull----. Period. F---.
If I could get a gif of the guy from "The Girlfriend Experience" after he gets fired by his law firm (it's on right now, because these bowl games aren't very riveting) ....

He averaged 10 wins a season at UGAG,we would sell our soul for that

Weren't we talking about Miami? The post you quoted said that he would have been fired if he hadn't retired. Obviously U[sic]GA wouldn't have fired him while he was coaching Miami...

They'll be lucky to win the Atlantic.
Clemson may be in that self-perpetuating mode where unless something really stupid happens, they can just auto pilot into at least 9 wins a year.
FSU ... man, so much talent, resources ... and it's going to waste in the blink of an eye. They ever get straightened out, well, we've seen what good FSU is like.

and dammit, don't remind me of that godawful day in Jacksonville. F---ing bull----. Period. F---.
If I could get a gif of the guy from "The Girlfriend Experience" after he gets fired by his law firm (it's on right now, because these bowl games aren't very riveting) ....
Speaking of auto pilot. With the team we had, we should have been able to sleep walk against Wake and win. How in the hell did we have Calvin Johnson and Tashard Choice and not be able to score a single TD?

Manny Diaz is the most Miami-type of Coach they could have hired. He’s a Cuban-American whose father was the Mayor of Miami.

I find it amazing that so many GT fans make comments without keeping up with what goes on in CFB (not you OP)

Part of Kirby's immediate success at UGA is that UGA changed the rules to his benefit that Richt didn't have

UGA changed their stance on drug & alcohol violations and labelled them as a disease, and they changed their policy from punishment to helping the SA "cure his disease" ( how liberal of them), especially since the FB program no longer starts each season with 3 to 6 starters suspended for 2 to 4 games, Richt didn't have this advantage that Kirby has

This was a move by the school of wanting to be more like Bama after Kirby was hired

I can't prove this but I still have a gut feeling that someone from UGAs Athl Dept got to the Clarke Co Sheriff's Dept, maybe they increased the amount they pay the Officers for traffic duty at UGA Athl Events, but something major happened

When Richt was there he couldn't keep his players from getting arrested on petty crap from the good 'Ol Boys working for CCSD--- as soon as Kirby got hired, nothing, nada, not 1 arrest in going on 4 years, that's damn near impossible in Athens

So after Kirby got hired UGA did some things structurally to emulate Bama that they weren't doing when Richt was the HC

Gotta take this into account when comparing the 2

Speaking of auto pilot. With the team we had, we should have been able to sleep walk against Wake and win. How in the hell did we have Calvin Johnson and Tashard Choice and not be able to score a single TD?

If you ain't got a QB in P5 CFB you're in trouble on OFF

Reggie Ball wasn't a P5 QB, good kid , not a QB

Folks are tripping out on us scoring 3 vs Wake, hell the way the rules have changed with opposing teams running HUNH offenses and RPOs that create more total possessions per game is that really any different from us scoring only 10 vs Minn in 2018

Especially when you consider that Nix was our OC back then vs the HoF genius we had calling plays vs friggin MINNESOTA

I find it amazing that so many GT fans make comments without keeping up with what goes on in CFB (not you OP)

Part of Kirby's immediate success at UGA is that UGA changed the rules to his benefit that Richt didn't have

UGA changed their stance on drug & alcohol violations and labelled them as a disease, and they changed their policy from punishment to helping the SA "cure his disease" ( how liberal of them), especially since the FB program no longer starts each season with 3 to 6 starters suspended for 2 to 4 games, Richt didn't have this advantage that Kirby has

This was a move by the school of wanting to be more like Bama after Kirby was hired

I can't prove this but I still have a gut feeling that someone from UGAs Athl Dept got to the Clarke Co Sheriff's Dept, maybe they increased the amount they pay the Officers for traffic duty at UGA Athl Events, but something major happened

When Richt was there he couldn't keep his players from getting arrested on petty crap from the good 'Ol Boys working for CCSD--- as soon as Kirby got hired, nothing, nada, not 1 arrest in going on 4 years, that's damn near impossible in Athens

So after Kirby got hired UGA did some things structurally to emulate Bama that they weren't doing when Richt was the HC

Gotta take this into account when comparing the 2

Exactly. I'm sure Kirby demanded that they adopt the Bama "process" as a condition of agreeing to become coach.

Back