Rick Neuheisel

and leave for a bigger job in 3 years, probably back to his west coast roots
For that to happen it would probably mean we would have three top 25 finishes with 2 or 3 wins over UGAy, which I wouldn't mind at all; certainly a whole lot better than enduring 6 years of 7 wins and losing to UGAy.

For that to happen it would probably mean we would have three top 25 finishes with 2 or 3 wins over UGAy, which I wouldn't mind at all; certainly a whole lot better than enduring 6 years of 7 wins and losing to UGAy.
:bowdown:

He also knows how to beat his in-state rival: He never lost to Washington State in the Apple Cup while he was there; he even blew them out in 2000 51-3, which is a record in the series.

He also knows how to beat his in-state rival: He never lost to Washington State in the Apple Cup while he was there; he even blew them out in 2000 51-3, which is a record in the series.

Does that mean we can beat UGAG 51-7? Man I'd love that.

Spurrier of the West? Wake up people. They ain't no Spurrier of the West.

HELL NO!! NO RICK NEUHEISEL! didn't the same exact scenario involving an all too familiar dallas cowboys OC play out at Tech over the last 6 seasons? you can't be telling me we're having a deja vous here.

HELL NO!! NO RICK NEUHEISEL! didn't the same exact scenario involving an all too familiar dallas cowboys OC play out at Tech over the last 6 seasons? you can't be telling me we're having a deja vous here.

Do you even know what you are talking about or just saw the name and started shouting?

I think there are reasons to be against him, but this is not one of them. He is much more of a college guy than Chan was or ever will be. Complete opposites.

DRAD had better be sure Neuheisel runs a clean program if he goes that route. Past history is a good predictor, and Neu ... has a couple of chits.

Imagined or real, RN's past "problems" would probably insure a squeeky clean program.

I bet he could also develop at least one QB in 6 years, and maybe hand off to what could have been a great running FB like Mike, and maybe throw to some better than average TEs.

And if he kept JT, can you imagine JT's units playing without always being thrown to the wolves like ccg did?

And, if he did not keep Giff (which any new hire should), I bet he would hire a RC in less than 4 hours, much less 4 years.

I keep hearing people talk about RN not being able to recruit here in the south. Who in the heck knew who Chan Gailey was below the age of 27? I had never even heard of the guy. As far as recruiting goes, I dont think a 19 year old is gonna give a crap if their future coach is from the south or not.

Come to think of it, the only thing I remember from Chan is that he coached Reggie Ball, lost to ugaG 51-7, and he got booed really bad at the Big Boi game (VT game).

Neuheisel is somewhat of an enigma. When I first heard about him as a candidate for the Tech job, I thought, "hell no." I know several CU people, and they hate him and feel he ran them into the ground when he left. Yet, he is a coach with a proven record, and is nationally known. He is an excellent recruiter. He runs an exciting college offense (just throw out his stint at the Ravens - he is a college coach, not an NFL coach). He does not belong in the NFL, which is why he probably contacted Tech.

I'm warming up to him. My only question is if he can run a clean program? If he can, he might be the man.

Imagined or real, RN's past "problems" would probably insure a squeeky clean program.

I agree. We would have to implement the proper monitoring and controls to avoid problems and to make sure that the academic side of GT understands that in no way will we compromise our integrity with regards to educating student athletes in real college degree programs.

I'm warming up to him. My only question is if he can run a clean program? If he can, he might be the man.

The Hill would need to follow Reagan's "trust but verify" principle to guarantee integrity, but assuming that we can get that kind of accountability in protecting our good name and reputation, then Neuheisel's coaching credentials seem to be pretty good.

I would want DRad and GT to do a thorough verification of the alleged NCAA incidents. It is possible that Neuheisel was wrongly accused.

The basketball tourney bet is not a big deal to me, but I do not want GT players to think we in any way condone them getting involved with bookies that could try to influence sports game outcomes.

Actions such as playing poker with friends, betting on a golf game, joining small-amount office football or basketball pools are not a big deal. I may be wrong, but wasn't Bobby Dodd even known to bet on golf games?

However, student-athletes getting involved with bookies is playing with fire, er, correction, make that playing with potential weapons of mass destruction (for GT's academic image and the sports program). The GTAA would have to stress this issue to our student-athletes if Neuheisel is hired to be sure that the student-athletes did not misinterpret the hiring of Neuheisel as condoning student-athlete involvement with bookies.

I think that if you fire a coach like Chan who had a winning record, went to a bowl game every year, was loved by his players and assistant coaches, etc, etc, you have to make a statement (if for no other reason than for recruiting) that GT is serious about winning 9-10 games per season and competing for a BCS bowl every year. That my friends takes alot of money (to hire a coach like Spurrier or Miles) or a little roll of the dice. Of all the candidates mentioned so far, Neuhisel seems like the perfect choice- proven success in the PAC 10 and Big 12 as well as the ability to win the big game. Plus he will proabaly be cheaper than any other similarly qualified coach (other than perhaps Hatcher, who doesn't have DI A experience). For those that are worried about him leaving to go to the pros or PAC 10 after 2 years, that worry is always there- ask LSU with Miles. Money is the only way to prevent that.

For those that are worried about him leaving to go to the pros or PAC 10 after 2 years, that worry is always there- ask LSU with Miles. Money is the only way to prevent that.

Rad seems to be SELLING that idea. Come to GT where you can win big NOW. Put your name out there for and NFL or an A list college job. That is fine by me.

Rad is banking that one of two things happen with a winning coach.
1. By winning big, we get more money and can keep the coach.
2. By winning big, we will have more money to replace a departing coach.

Rad's fall back position is if we end up with a coach who loses, we can't be left in a worse position than we are now. That is why I don't see RN as the next coach. His last two programs were definitely left in bad shape. While his up side is good, his down side is horrible.

I would expect to see the next coaches contract to have no buyout clause for us if the coach leaves. But it will probably have a low base salary with a lot of incentives (hence a small buyout if we fire them).

Back