Roof to Clemson

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I represent myself. No one else. I stand behind my posts in this thread. If you want to trash Collins and his staff, go for it but defend your position on the merits and not some sentimental nonsense about one of our own who couldn't cut it in the big leagues.
It is not trashing him to point out he has moved around about as much as Roof, maybe more. It doesn't trash either one of them because that happens in football. It was a silly way for people to attempt to ridicule Roof.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
It is not trashing him to point out he has moved around about as much as Roof, maybe more. It doesn't trash either one of them because that happens in football. It was a silly way for people to attempt to ridicule Roof.
You can defend Roof as a coach all you want. You will lose.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
You can defend Roof as a coach all you want. You will lose.
Just curious but have you actually looked at Roof’s overall coaching history? He did have some pretty bad squads at some stops but he also had some good defenses as well. His first time with Tech we were decent and his Penn State group was good.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
Just curious but have you actually looked at Roof’s overall coaching history? He did have some pretty bad squads at some stops but he also had some good defenses as well. His first time with Tech we were decent and his Penn State group was good.
I'm very familiar with his coaching history. It pains me to say it but when it really mattered, he failed.

Joe Hamilton would have a Heisman Trophy if Ted Roof was even mediocre. But he isn't and Joe doesn't.

Wreck Em

Dodd-Like
I wish him all the best, except one game out of the year vs Tech.
He's a good Tech Man.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I love how a few folks are using Roof's accomplishments at PSU and Auburn to deflect criticism of his abysmal failure here.

He was at PSU for one year and PSU averaged 36 points per game that year.

And during Auburn's NC year, Auburn scored an average of 41 points per game.

ncjacket

Dodd-Like
I love how a few folks are using Roof's accomplishments at PSU and Auburn to deflect criticism of his abysmal failure here.

Who is? What most are saying is that he’s had successes and failures just like most coaches. You are the one saying be sucks based on cherry picking seasons.

GoldZ

Dodd-Like
Roof won a NC at Auburn. He’s solid.
C'mon TJ, are you actually implying a coach's "performance", is relative to the talent on hand? WTF? That is a strange proposition! Let's see now, Duke and GT-not so hot, yet PSU and AU-pretty damned good.....shocking.

GT 1950

Varsity Lurker
Nonsense. I think I was pretty clear about my opinion of Ted as a person - I was acquainted with him while at Tech. But what am I supposed to do - pretend he's a good coach when its obvious he isn't? He had two cracks at it with his alma mater and he face-planted both times. As long as I live, I will never forget the look on his face when O'Leary grabbed that phone out of his hand. You want me to keep going?
That was pretty embarrassing. When he was done with Coach Roof, he went after the player as well. O'Leary was an equal opportunity abuser.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like

So our offense made Roof look bad. I get that.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
I'm in no mood for your retarded posts so shut the öööö up you ignorant, öööö-stirring loser.

It's not clear from my screen cap but Yukon is quoting his own post then deleting it.

I don't know what he's up to other than his usual piss and run posts.

You guys can deal with him - I'm putting his dumb ass on ignore.
0A061F31-E9B6-4BDB-AB41-E9F1F1506D9B.jpeg

GT65_UGA89

We’re a Coca-Cola school
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"In addition to Gary Lee and a stunning performance by John Dewberry, The guy who contributed most, I thought, to that win was Ted Roof. Roof wasn't expected to play, having severely sprained his ankle. He couldn't push off on it. After Georgia continued to run inside with their big back, Lars Tate, Ted begged to play later in the game.

He finally got in. With great guts and courage, and with total disregard for his own body, he shut down Georgia's inside running game. To me, that was the difference in Tech's win, controlling the inside running game."

Kim King, Tales from the Georgia Tech sideline, Sakes Alive, '85!, describing Tech's 1985 20-16 win over UGA.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Despite the defensive lapses Tech had under DC Ted Roof, for the above, I could never really get intensely frustrated with him.

GTCrew4b

NIL Supporter Strictly On Capitalist Grounds
Roof just simply could not adjust to the new college football offenses. His defenses tended to be very good at stopping pro-style offenses.

00Burdell

Mod Thyself
Staff member
"In addition to Gary Lee and a stunning performance by John Dewberry, The guy who contributed most, I thought, to that win was Ted Roof. Roof wasn't expected to play, having severely sprained his ankle. He couldn't push off on it. After Georgia continued to run inside with their big back, Lars Tate, Ted begged to play later in the game.

He finally got in. With great guts and courage, and with total disregard for his own body, he shut down Georgia's inside running game. To me, that was the difference in Tech's win, controlling the inside running game."

Kim King, Tales from the Georgia Tech sideline, Sakes Alive, '85!, describing Tech's 1985 20-16 win over UGA.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My recollection is that Roof had 23 tackles in that game but don't quote me on it. The dwags did run for 341 yards in that game - astounding that we held them to 16 points.

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like

[/QUOTE
It is universally assumed he coached a better class of players at Penn State and Allbarn, and had much better offenses supporting his defenses.