Rules

techrod

Flats Noob
New ncaa rules on showing progress toward degree ect + Tech standards = making things much harder for our sa's. The only way to correct it is for the board of regents to add majors to Techs curriculum!!I know that hurts you engineers feelings, but that is the only way out of this mess. I predict more of the same in the near future. Either face up to the narrow academics or suffer the inevitable consequences of a porous athletic program!!

Techrod, Bingo! At first I blamed Clough, but after reading many posts, and further reflection, I realize that the Prez doesn't have the authority to do anything about lightening the course load for our academically beleaguered SAs even if he was incined to do so. The recent NCAA 20-40-60 rule was a dagger in Tech's back. Braine and Gailey are hapless and bewildered onlookers. Carol Moore is just doing her job, following the rules, and at least she has spoken out for attribution. I hate to see Gailey get the Bill Lewis treatment, but that is what is in store for him, I'm afraid.

I'm really surprised that people want to expand the curriculum.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't we win a Nat'l Championship in '90 with a much narrower curriculum than we have now?

Maybe your reaction is just because of the new NCAA rules?

I know it's got to be difficult on S-A's to handle the course load at Tech while playing footall, but for the love of God, most of them are MANAGEMENT majors. It's not like Calculus is what's killing them - they don't even have to take it. I swear it's almost impossible to make anything worse than a C in a management class. All you have to do is show up every day.

chilidogking, as a Management Major I can tell you that the courses are harder than what most kids are taking at other schools. And if you don't think it's possible to make less than a C in a managemenet class you either haven't taken many, are a truly ingenious fellow or are really full of yourself.

Stats, finance, production mgt aren't the easiest courses you can find at your typical land grant school. We need to recruit kids who can do the work, but making fun of them (and everyone in the Ivan Allen College) serves no purpose either.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
chilidogking, as a Management Major I can tell you that the courses are harder than what most kids are taking at other schools. And if you don't think it's possible to make less than a C in a managemenet class you either haven't taken many, are a truly ingenious fellow or are really full of yourself.

Stats, finance, production mgt aren't the easiest courses you can find at your typical land grant school. We need to recruit kids who can do the work, but making fun of them (and everyone in the Ivan Allen College) serves no purpose either.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I'm not trying to make fun of management as a major. I'm a recent IE graduate (not exactly the toughest major either) and I just cannot see how anyone who goes to class and has EXTENSIVE tutoring could possibly fall below a 2.0 in mgt. The same applies for IE classes, but not for all classes IE's are required to take. My point was simply that there is already a major out there in which any student who is admitted to GT should be able to maintain a 2.0.

As for my mgt experience, I took 4 of them, yes I am a genius, and yes I am really full of myself. I still think anyone who puts forth the slighest bit of effort can make a 2.0. End of story.

Chili, you are so wrong in that these players for the most part are not your usual Tech scholor!! If there aren't changes made then T ech football will no longer exist as we have known it!!!

Narrow sightedness is snobbery and that is just what all you engineers who can't stand change are. If you are a fan of Tech football then get off your high horse or suffer the consequences! By the way when you climb down call the fire dept who can bring a tall ladder!!!

Chilidogking, since I did not attend Tech and know nothing about its academics, I can offer no comments on this topic.

However, if your last sentence in this thread is true, I admire your candid answer in your last sentence.

wink.gif

You still never answered my question.

Did we not win a National Championship in 1990 with a narrower curriculum than we have now?

And please - do not lump me in with snobbish engineers. I was an IE. That doesn't count. I picked that major only because I heard it was easy.

Again, please keep in mind that we're talking about making a 2.0 in classes that it is difficult to make D's and F's in. Furthermore, from what I have seen in mgt classes, the tests do not vary that much from semester to semester.

Techrod, not sure when you graduated, but you should know that the AA has a VERY extensive collection of old tests that these guys can use to study with. I'm dumbfounded that anyone with the resources they have could possibly fall below a 2.0.

Someone really should be fired for this.

Your are waay off the mark chili, but why do I think u knew that before u posted. '90 has little relevance to today's academic climate due to the new rules imposed by both the NCAA & The Hill.

The courses you mock are in fact considerably more difficult than what is available at schools we compete with on Saturdays.

Also, I can assure u that u would find them MUCH more difficult as well if u had to deal with a football player's demands/pressures. I get the impression u never played much football huh? THWG

You're right - I didn't play football at Tech.
However, I just graduated, and I get the impression that you didn't.

You have NO IDEA how much these guys get their hands held. I swear all you need is a pulse to make a 2.0 in certain majors.

Tech is never going to have the majors that you want, so it's a moot point. The board of regents just isn't going to let it happen.

GoldZ - If you'll notice, I asked if the original post was due to NCAA rules.

Didn't get much of a response.

Techrod's only point is that the school should be dumbed down if we want to compete.

The whole point of my posts is to let y'all know that there's already at least one major to hide in.

Regardless, this never happened under O'Leary and I think Chan needs to head back to the NFL. If the players have no discipline, then I can see how they's flunk out even if they were majoring in General Studies or some other easy major offered at other schools.

Originally posted by techrod:
Narrow sightedness is snobbery and that is just what all you engineers who can't stand change are. If you are a fan of Tech football then get off your high horse or suffer the consequences! By the way when you climb down call the fire dept who can bring a tall ladder!!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">you know, your constant bashing of engineering snobbery is really getting old to me. Believe it or not, a few of us engineers love Tech, NOT just Tech football. Tech has a purpose, to educate students to be productive engineers, scientists, etc, in the real world. Ma Tech is going to be here if the football team goes 0-11 or 11-0 AND I'll support her no matter what.

We can do both, be a good school and have good sports teams. We need the GTAA get its act together and help out the SAs. I'm sure management classes are hard for students who average less than 1000 on the SAT. Guess what? If they wanted to play football and an easy diploma, there are over a hundred schools doing that.

BTW, its not like any curriculum changes will impact any currently enrolled students. It would probably take a couple years to figure out what changes are needed, if professors need to be hired, gettting funding for it, getting the regents to agree with it, and pacifying other schools who think we are stepping on their toes. I can see it being another 6 or 7 years before anyone even graduates from a new curriculum.

Oh, and changing the curriculum so we can have a good football team IS dumbing down Tech. If that makes me an engineering snob, thats fine with me.

Jimbo, with all due respect with you, I gave my definition of snobbery in a previous post so I will not repeat it now, because I think all of my post written last night is pertantent to the problem&gt; Of which this definition is refered to! You do not fit that definition. I also realize a change of such would take much time, but that is the only way out!!Please believe me for I love Tech football for some 46 years.

Originally posted by jimbobGT:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by techrod:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We can do both, be a good school and have good sports teams. We need the GTAA get its act together and help out the SAs. I'm sure management classes are hard for students who average less than 1000 on the SAT. Guess what? If they wanted to play football and an easy diploma, there are over a hundred schools doing that.

BTW, its not like any curriculum changes will impact any currently enrolled students. It would probably take a couple years to figure out what changes are needed, if professors need to be hired, gettting funding for it, getting the regents to agree with it, and pacifying other schools who think we are stepping on their toes. I can see it being another 6 or 7 years before anyone even graduates from a new curriculum.

Oh, and changing the curriculum so we can have a good football team IS dumbing down Tech. If that makes me an engineering snob, thats fine with me.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">JimbobGT,

Your position on GT academics is certainly a valid one to take. Not sure it's the correct one, but valid.

Do you agree, if no academic changes are made, long-term Tech will not remain competitive with schools with very low academic standards (i.e. football factories such as UGA, Auburn, Alabama, FSU, Miami)?

Originally posted by 71Bee:
Do you agree, if no academic changes are made, long-term Tech will not remain competitive with schools with very low academic standards (i.e. football factories such as UGA, Auburn, Alabama, FSU, Miami)?[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You are right, though I don't think we were EVER competitive with FSU and Miami.

I really just don't think that Tech is ever going to offer joke majors.

Interesting fact though, Tech did offer a degree in Hotel Management at one point in time (1950's?) that was extremely popular with the football team. Maybe we can bring it back.

SOMETHING DRASTIC HAS GOT TO TAKE PLACE!!! If not my prediction will call for football tryouts come August of 04 if not sooner!! I'm serious!!

chili, it doesn't require joke majors to improve the situation, but a broader choice of still challenging majors would indeed help. The pool of blue chip D-1 players is very small to begin with and offering such limited choices shrinks the pool that much more.

As for your other remarks...yes I did graduate...from GT and Harvard. Yes I did play football (not at GT), and it was easily the richest element of my "education". And finally, I have a very good grasp of the considerable load an athlete carries. If u could walk in their shoes just 1-2 semesters it would change your perspective a great deal.

By the way, that hotel management major is world famous at Cornell, you know as in IVY League. If you are surprised at this then u might want to rethink a few other "beliefs". THWG

Back