Rumors

I've been done with Collins for a few games now. He just continues to make the same stupid gameday decision-making that shows me he's just not HC material. Forget recruiting (which he is great at) and coaching players (which he doesn't appear to be good at): Just simple time-out usage, etc he seems to really have problems with. Coaching101 stuff.

Maybe a miracle will happen and he will magically understand gameclock mgmt, etc but unless and until that happens, I'm with you: It's up to the next Coordinators.
There are several P.J. Flecks out there waiting to be called.

Well who is the source? We have no named sources saying there are sources...seems legit

Ken already reported it in the AJC yesterday, so this isn't really breaking news. I am sure the paysites are all over it as well.

There are several P.J. Flecks out there waiting to be called.
In the new CFB Economy, they will sit back and wait for a $4 to $6 million Job like Minnesota rather than taking $3MM from us.

We love GT, but HCs with a mercenary like mentality won't work at GT for a discount, they have no emotional attachment to GT.

No comformation but, a source close to the team has said that firings are tommorrow.
Well it's really not a firing since Coach Collins is coming back and six of Collins’ assistant coaches will see their contracts expire after this season. That includes OC Dave Patenaude and DC Andrew Thacker, who haven’t distinguished themselves this season.

This past spring, Stansbury gave two-year extensions and raises through 2022 to six assistant coaches: strength and conditioning coach Lewis Caralla, running backs coach Tashard Choice, receivers coach Kerry Dixon, defensive ends/outside linebackers coach Marco Coleman, assistant head coach/offensive line Brent Key and defensive line coach Larry Knight. I think those coaches are all safe.

I assume the other six will not be retained to include OC and DC.

Well it's really not a firing since Coach Collins is coming back and six of Collins’ assistant coaches will see their contracts expire after this season. That includes OC Dave Patenaude and DC Andrew Thacker, who haven’t distinguished themselves this season.

This past spring, Stansbury gave two-year extensions and raises through 2022 to six assistant coaches: strength and conditioning coach Lewis Caralla, running backs coach Tashard Choice, receivers coach Kerry Dixon, defensive ends/outside linebackers coach Marco Coleman, assistant head coach/offensive line Brent Key and defensive line coach Larry Knight. I think those coaches are all safe.

Maybe a rare insight by Stansbury, those are all the assistant coaches that I could consider retaining (maybe not Key).

All Collins's assistants are underqualified. Patenaude's resume sucks. Thacker's resume sucks. That was apparent from the beginning. He brought them in because they were with him at Temple or ex-Tech players or whatever. Time to drop the sentimentality and hire based purely on merit. I don't expect Collins will do it.

Brent Key will jump ship, in my opinion. I don’t think we are losing that much. If he was “great”, Sa(t)an could have easily paid him to stay. I could be wrong, but he already came close once.

In the new CFB Economy, they will sit back and wait for a $4 to $6 million Job like Minnesota rather than taking $3MM from us.

We love GT, but HCs with a mercenary like mentality won't work at GT for a discount, they have no emotional attachment to GT.
I do believe we could find $5-6M annually if the results justified it. We’re nowhere near worrying about that.

Personally I wouldn't come as a coordinator unless I was given autonomy. I can't imagine an O'leary or Tenuta type putting up with Collins interrupting practice.
Exactly. I'm afraid, check it, concerned that part of what CGC means by 'culture' is this namby-pamby approach he uses. Like he's the D1 football maharishi and his light is going to be what makes the difference. Nevermind the traditional ball busting approach of turning boy athletes into men athletes all these fellas need is the love and nuture of an enlightened one. Someone who can show them the harmonious way of winning. The Culture. The 404. The Juice. I'm afraid, concerned, we may be in more trouble here than we realize.

Both coordinators are gone. Key likely leaving on his own. The money is there to can Collins and Stansbury together but looks like it’s not happening.
Sounds fair. We could try it next year but the 'culture' will have to be adjusted to something sensible at some point.

Let's review a few hypotheticals. Initial premise is that you have enough boosters lined up to pay the buyout as we presumably did.
1) pay the buyout, salary pool relatively unchanged. New coaching candidates will all request budgets above what our finances allow, more support staff than the already increased numbers we've added.
2) convince a portion of the donors that we use the difference between buyout next year and now to increase the coaching salary pool. Some bite, some don't, so you're able to increase salary pool by ~1.5-2 million for next year. You hire new coordinators with the intention that 1 of them will be the replacement if things don't turn around. This gets you a better hire than you otherwise would for the coordinators. Your new coordinators will want to turn over their staff, so most of the six won't be back (maybe 1 retained, depending on the coordinators we get). Key moves on to another role probably for his own good. Choice may as well.

That all said, I don't trust TStan to make the right hires for #2, but it's a reasonable approach on paper if your starting assumption is that the culture we've built is a good one.

That is actually kinda comforting, Tstan might actually have a finger on the pulse.

I have no idea why Yates played the full game. None of our backups ready to go?
Because the guy who calls the offensive plays is also GT's QB Coach. Just look at the OC's resume, like I have said before a village idiot could tell the neither coordinators are qualified to coach at this level.

Disclaimer: I’m drunk at a wedding

yj67b76hxwd61.jpg

I do believe we could find $5-6M annually if the results justified it. We’re nowhere near worrying about that.
Worst case scenario, we do what you suggest but the Guy gives us the same Results as CGC , but with less aggravating Pressers, then if we have to fire him , the buyouts won't be $10 Million, they will be $18 to $25 million in buyouts, and we'll be another Tennessee ,but without the Fundraising mechanisms in place to afford it.

Shake up the staff, tell CGC this is it, do or die next season

Please be true.

Back