Saban retiring

He wasn't at FSU or UW long enough to prove he can recruit and win with his own players.
You do realize Michael Penix Jr, etc he recruited as Portal transfers, right?

And since he’s been at Bama he has already landed the following:

2024 HS:

5* #1 WR Ryan Williams
4* DE Noah Carter

Portal additions:

4* OL Parker Brailsford
4* WR Germie Bernard
4* QB Austin Mack

Bama will load up on the Spring Portal, so it looks like Debour has stabilized everything rather quickly. The guy can coach, and Bama recruits itself.

Real question is, can he deal with 1. the pressure of being Bama’s HC and 2. following the GOAT CFB HC Saban? 2024 will likely be a 3 loss season, but I’m sure Bama will rebound in 2025.

2024 HS:

5* #1 WR Ryan Williams
4* DE Noah Carter

Portal additions:

4* OL Parker Brailsford
4* WR Germie Bernard
4* QB Austin Mack

Bama will load up on the Spring Portal, so it looks like Debour has stabilized everything rather quickly. The guy can coach, and Bama recruits itself.

Real question is, can he deal with 1. the pressure of being Bama’s HC and 2. following the GOAT CFB HC Saban? 2024 will likely be a 3 loss season, but I’m sure Bama will rebound in 2025.
On last year's team, the AVERAGE player on the 1-85 Alabama roster was a Top 100 player. Think about that for a minute. No one is going to come in and match that. That said, there should be some concern why all these 5* players are leaving. That concern is NIL. Alabama's NIL game is surprisingly weak when you compare it to who they are and the success they've had. The podcast pundits call it the "Saban Discount." Kids will take less to play under Saban because he gets dudes drafted in the first round, guaranteed. Now that's not to say DeBoer can't do the same, but he hasn't yet compared to Smart and Day. Add that to the fact I get more money, I'm gone.

On last year's team, the AVERAGE player on the 1-85 Alabama roster was a Top 100 player. Think about that for a minute. No one is going to come in and match that. That said, there should be some concern why all these 5* players are leaving. That concern is NIL. Alabama's NIL game is surprisingly weak when you compare it to who they are and the success they've had. The podcast pundits call it the "Saban Discount." Kids will take less to play under Saban because he gets dudes drafted in the first round, guaranteed. Now that's not to say DeBoer can't do the same, but he hasn't yet compared to Smart and Day. Add that to the fact I get more money, I'm gone.
I agree with you on both parts. Players went to Bama to play for Saban, knowing his obvious CFB success and NFL draft pick rate. DeBoer has a lot to prove still, but Day and smart had no experience before taking over tOSU, uga. That said, both had a long time to get their feet wet and establish themselves before the NIL, Portal came to fruition.

Alabama’s NIL has been reported ”weak” compared to others, but supposedly UF, uga‘s aren’t great either. It’s hard to tell where programs really stand in the NIL game.

From what was said this week on XM College Sports by “insiders” on multiple shows, there are a lot of HC’s willing to take NFL OC, DC jobs just to get out of CFB. Coaches are fed up with having to deal with NIL, Portal, in-season tampering, handlers taking visits with players requesting bogus $1+ million payments, and continually having to re-recruit your own roster. These reasons led to Saban retiring. Coaches are extremely pissed at the state of CFB and the inability to build rosters now.

Chip Kelly is an example of a HC actively looking to go back to the NFL as an OC at this point. He won’t be the only one.

2024 HS:

5* #1 WR Ryan Williams
4* DE Noah Carter

Portal additions:

4* OL Parker Brailsford
4* WR Germie Bernard
4* QB Austin Mack

So Bama hired a guy who will lose more games in his first season than he lost in each of his two seasons at UW. And as many as he lost in total in NAIA. And matching his worst years at FSU.

Is Saban truly against student athletes receiving money, or is he against schools using NIL as an unregulated weapon of sorts to poach athletes? Not sure what the whole story is, but he's mentioned time and again that he supports students receiving funds, just doesn't like the unregulated nature of it. Not sure what could have changed his stance since.

Is Saban truly against student athletes receiving money, or is he against schools using NIL as an unregulated weapon of sorts to poach athletes? Not sure what the whole story is, but he's mentioned time and again that he supports students receiving funds, just doesn't like the unregulated nature of it. Not sure what could have changed his stance since.

I believe he is fine with students profiting from their playing at a school like Alabama. He just wants control. Isn’t that true of most coaches - they want to minimize the variables.

We could have kept schools out of paying players and just let the market forces determine what players are worth for their NIL. Saban hated that because rich people and business folks could negotiate directly with the athlete, leaving him out. That created far too many variables for his liking.

Option 2 is paying players as employees. He does not like that either for similar reasons. Too much has to be fully disclosed. Labor laws and fair labor practices have to be observed and followed. Unionization can take place. So, he prefers collectives and revenue sharing plans that keep decision making and distribution in the hands of the schools. It is all about control.

I believe he is fine with students profiting from their playing at a school like Alabama. He just wants control. Isn’t that true of most coaches - they want to minimize the variables.

We could have kept schools out of paying players and just let the market forces determine what players are worth for their NIL. Saban hated that because rich people and business folks could negotiate directly with the athlete, leaving him out. That created far too many variables for his liking.

Option 2 is paying players as employees. He does not like that either for similar reasons. Too much has to be fully disclosed. Labor laws and fair labor practices have to be observed and followed. Unionization can take place. So, he prefers collectives and revenue sharing plans that keep decision making and distribution in the hands of the schools. It is all about control.

Well there's not much of that in football right now.. If he's using his retirement has a weight to pull things one way or another, he's not bigger than football for sure. I try not to get involved in what all is going on because this that and the other thing is constantly changing. It's enough to make the head spin. I'll just exit stage left then and try to make sense of it what I can from those more knowledgeable, and read the cliffs notes version on the forums..

I think Saban is talking about players who no longer see any value in the education and all of whom believe they are entitled to significant compensation which is not true. Saban liked to believe that his program was preparing his players for life. Either by getting them a degree or training them for the NFL or both. What NIL and the transfer portal have done is reveal that for many players it’s just about money. It’s not about school or preparing or whatever it may have been before. There’s no sense of joining an overall community like there may have been prior to allowing infinite transfers.

He’s pissed about investing time in recruiting and developing players for them to leave for a bigger paycheck after a year or two. At least in the past they were more stuck at his school with transfers losing a year.

It’s not the paying players (which already happened to an extent) or the ability for players to transfer more freely… but the combination of the two that really sucks. Players are literally being purchased off of other rosters on an as needed basis.

I think Saban is talking about players who no longer see any value in the education and all of whom believe they are entitled to significant compensation which is not true. Saban liked to believe that his program was preparing his players for life. Either by getting them a degree or training them for the NFL or both. What NIL and the transfer portal have done is reveal that for many players it’s just about money. It’s not about school or preparing or whatever it may have been before. There’s no sense of joining an overall community like there may have been prior to allowing infinite transfers.
He’s pissed about investing time in recruiting and developing players for them to leave for a bigger paycheck after a year or two. At least in the past they were more stuck at his school with transfers losing a year.

It’s not the paying players (which already happened to an extent) or the ability for players to transfer more freely… but the combination of the two that really sucks. Players are literally being purchased off of other rosters on an as needed basis.
Everything said is why he retired. Kids don’t go to a school for the coach anymore, they go to the highest yearly bidder. Saban had leverage as pointed out by stating you can 1. Come to Alabama and potentially make it to the NFL in 4-5 years. 2. Get a quality education, and in some cases be the first college grad in your family.

It allowed Bama the opportunity to build the dynasty they were. Now with 1-2 years and transferring/having to continually recruit your own players, I don’t blame him for saying enough is enough at his age. He has nothing left to prove.

It would be in P4 CFB’s best interest if Saban would be commissioner for 2-3 years once that comes to fruition. The NCAA is all but done being a part of P4 CFB.

Rules, Portal regulations, and contracts need to be implemented to sort of try and get CFB back under control. NIL is it‘s own component that will be hard to regulate.

Players are literally being purchased off of other rosters on an as needed basis.
isnt this how a free open market works? isn't a free market what most of you here want?
a large percentage of these kids aren't going to nfl, and when they leave college, aren't actually going to have a good education or marketable skills. with nil, this may be their one shot in their whole life at a decent income. how can you fault them for taking the highest bidder. not sure why saban upset about kids wanting to get theirs when his contracts literally stated he had to be one of the highest paid coaches. cry baby. reality check, some people don't care about "getting prepared for life", when you come from nothing, you care about looking out for number one to hopefully help your family out. saban butthurt kids dont want his life advise when he making millions off their back. what a joke.

isnt this how a free open market works? isn't a free market what most of you here want?

1710422406397.jpeg

a large percentage of these kids aren't going to nfl, and when they leave college, aren't actually going to have a good education or marketable skills. with nil, this may be their one shot in their whole life at a decent income. how can you fault them for taking the highest bidder.
Except NIL stands for name. image, likeness. You're not supposed to be getting paid for your football skill. A lot of these guys getting paid have no marketable name, image, likeness. If it was about NIL, you would see more players than the ones with actual marketable NIL shilling for the people paying the money. So, yeah, it's a free market for football players, but don't hide behind NIL (I don't mean you).

Back