Sad to say: Tech Football Is No Fun Anymore

Con someone tell me honestly how this guy is wrong? What is fun about watching this team?

Change is exciting. We are changing a ton about the program and if you can't embrace that and be interested then I'm not sure why you follow sports. It is not fun how we get behind so early that really takes the enjoyment out of that particular game but watching Sims and Gibbs is fun. That is one reason that for a season or two, you should embrace the off the field stuff (like recruiting) and be patience about the on the field stuff.

Johnson's teams weren't a lot of fun his last few seasons. Games were hit and miss: killed mediocre teams, struggled against good teams; plus there was nothing happening different than the previous seasons.

I don't think I've 'had fun' watching Tech football since middle of the last decade. A major change needed to happen and anyone who understood what needed to happen also knew it was going to take a few very difficult years. I watch the games to see progress but for the most part it isn't fun yet.....probably won't be til season after next. But I am seeing progress (especially off the field).

CPJ won 2/9 games against Clemson after the ACCC game. He was on a 4 game losing streak against Clemson where we were getting dominated by Clemson's DL. If it weren't for Justin Thomas and Shaq Mason, we'd be on a longer losing streak against them. They were absolutely in control of our option game. Tackling the BB at the handoff. Tackling the QB for no gain on the keep. Our outside option game was getting strung out and snuffed. Our passing game was throw a hope and a prayer.

I am tired of the lame excuse that GT cannot recruit Clemson type players. GT has grown from 16k students or so 15-20 years ago to pushing 30k students now. Not every major at the school now is 1970's EE where an opposing coach can scare off a potential recruit with a calculus book.

We live in what has become the center of the college football universe. It wasn't like that even a decade ago. We absolutely ought to be able to field a team at Georgia Tech, being located in the center of the college universe of Atlanta, that competes directly with Clemson, UGAg, and Alabama for top tier talent.
So when will we start recruiting like Clemson?

What coach said the following (paraphrased and names deleted to protect the innocent) after Saturday's game:

________ said the team has "miles to go" after their fourth loss. "We played hard. I thought we played sloppy and dumb at times," he said. "You know, that team is a team that’s been put together for over a decade and they have a culture that’s extremely hard-working and competitive that permeates their entire program. We’re a program trying to get there.

"The good news with us is we’ve got some young guys that are going to be around awhile. This is a good starting point for them. Some of them probably wouldn’t be starting, but out of necessity, but I think the reps and experience are going to pay off."

This thread turned into a Facebook sharing group for the blue hairs. Hopefully they back up their words, stop watching, and we never hear from them again.

I suggest the rest of you dip out.
So if the blue hairs dip out and take their contributions with them, who is going to help make up the tremendous deficit we keep hearing about?

So when will we start recruiting like Clemson?
When you get the corn cob out of your ass. I am certain you would have picked a top tier coach who would have immediately gotten us to that level. Sadly, it will take 3 to 5 years. In the meantime, try really hard not to kill yourself because that would be a shame.

What coach said the following (paraphrased and names deleted to protect the innocent) after Saturday's game:

________ said the team has "miles to go" after their fourth loss. "We played hard. I thought we played sloppy and dumb at times," he said. "You know, that team is a team that’s been put together for over a decade and they have a culture that’s extremely hard-working and competitive that permeates their entire program. We’re a program trying to get there.

"The good news with us is we’ve got some young guys that are going to be around awhile. This is a good starting point for them. Some of them probably wouldn’t be starting, but out of necessity, but I think the reps and experience are going to pay off."
Not a clue. Dabo? Saban? Satan?

Change is exciting. We are changing a ton about the program and if you can't embrace that and be interested then I'm not sure why you follow sports. It is not fun how we get behind so early that really takes the enjoyment out of that particular game but watching Sims and Gibbs is fun. That is one reason that for a season or two, you should embrace the off the field stuff (like recruiting) and be patience about the on the field stuff.

Johnson's teams weren't a lot of fun his last few seasons. Games were hit and miss: killed mediocre teams, struggled against good teams; plus there was nothing happening different than the previous seasons.
If I change my 115 pound wife for a 280, don't find that exciting at all.

I don't think I've 'had fun' watching Tech football since middle of the last decade. A major change needed to happen and anyone who understood what needed to happen also knew it was going to take a few very difficult years. I watch the games to see progress but for the most part it isn't fun yet.....probably won't be til season after next. But I am seeing progress (especially off the field).

There are different levels and types of “having fun.” Being new to following CFB, I didn’t really understand what I was seeing from a historical perspective in 1990.

The Joe Ham era was fun, and we won enough to make the games we lost (UVA, Wake) really crushing.

Gailey was mostly not fun, because we could never take that next-level step, even with Calvin. It was usually nerve-wracking and stressful.

I’ve never had more fun watching Tech than in 2008-2009 (we had an identity and were breaking curses and setting offensive records), but there was still a little of that “makes the losses hurt more” downside to being pretty good. 2014 was also a blast, because we were so good on offense, but we still had that frustrating midseason lull against Duke and UNC.

Toward the end of the CPJ era, it became more of a hopeless slog, as it became evident that we were unlikely to get back to where we had been.

In some ways, the Collins era has been stress free, mostly because there’s no reason to expect that we’ll win any given game. I’ve sort of accepted that, and I just kick back and bask in the “how bad can it get” against Clemson or Citadel or whoever. That’s better for personal mental health, but it’s also the saddest state of affairs for Tech football since I’ve been paying attention for around the last 30+ years.

Tech football won’t really be fun again until we can get back to a place where losing hurts again.

JRjr

So if the blue hairs dip out and take their contributions with them, who is going to help make up the tremendous deficit we keep hearing about?
It can't get any worse than CGC, right? :dunno:

Stop threatening us with a blessing and actually leave.

This is the first time in any season that Tech was heading into an off week and I didn't care. Watching this is not fun. It's sad, pitiful, hopeless and embarrassing. Of course, I'm 70. I don't have ten years for Collins to learn how to coach. I've been through this before. Curry was exasperating, but he was a Tech man, and he did seem more like a football coach than Collins. Bill Lewis was bad, but he was gone pretty quick. Ross's first two years were winless in the ACC, but his teams were always well coached. There was no question about whether he knew what he was doing. But Collins has not given me any reason to have any confidence. I can't wait for the off season. I think young fans should stick with this. Maybe Tech will be good again one day. I hope so. I thought the Notre Dame game was pretty good compared to others. But, when you lose 31-13 at home to a team that had the ball on your one yard line when the game ended, it's hard to get very enthusiastic. Nobody respects Tech football right now. It is very sad to me. Our coach and our AD seem totally clueless. I'm past worrying about it. I hope I live to see Tech be good again. But, I'll be surprised if I do. If you had been alive and seen Bobby Dodd coach, you would be very sad, too.
Yeah I'm sure the last couple of years were really fun before we finally changed coaches. I've never read anything so pathetic. So when things are bad you quit, got it. It's suppose to be "when the going gets tough, the tough get going." I can appreciate watching this year, despite the record or how bad it's looked at times, because I believe that we are seeing the very infancy of something special. If you can't get a smidgen of excitement for watching a player like Gibbs than I guess it is time to walk away. For whatever reason, there's a vocal minority with our fans that just flat out hate CGC and I don't really think it's all based on the performance of the field. If you're so bothered by the so called shenanigans just remember it's not directed to you. CGC is trying to create a fun atmosphere for the kids and attract some great young men to turn Tech into a place to be. Despite whatever you've be told how many times about why Tech can't do certain things, CGC is changing that and a bunch of our ööööty fans mock him for it. But if you do walk away, remember when the times become "fun" again that you're now just a band wagon jumper and not a true fan.

I started to write about my disappointment in this season, but I don't think it would be constructive. You're right that we needed a change, and we got one. Turning this ship around is going to take time, but the clock is ticking.

One thing I will say is that with few exceptions (week before last against B.C. was one) both last year's team and this year's team seems to play hard. And effort is harder to maintain when you're losing than when things are going well. The coaches and players both deserve credit for that. Really, that's all one can ask - just do your best. If they keep doing that, there's hope that good things will happen.

This is the first time in any season that Tech was heading into an off week and I didn't care. Watching this is not fun. It's sad, pitiful, hopeless and embarrassing. Of course, I'm 70. I don't have ten years for Collins to learn how to coach. I've been through this before. Curry was exasperating, but he was a Tech man, and he did seem more like a football coach than Collins. Bill Lewis was bad, but he was gone pretty quick. Ross's first two years were winless in the ACC, but his teams were always well coached. There was no question about whether he knew what he was doing. But Collins has not given me any reason to have any confidence. I can't wait for the off season. I think young fans should stick with this. Maybe Tech will be good again one day. I hope so. I thought the Notre Dame game was pretty good compared to others. But, when you lose 31-13 at home to a team that had the ball on your one yard line when the game ended, it's hard to get very enthusiastic. Nobody respects Tech football right now. It is very sad to me. Our coach and our AD seem totally clueless. I'm past worrying about it. I hope I live to see Tech be good again. But, I'll be surprised if I do. If you had been alive and seen Bobby Dodd coach, you would be very sad, too.
Hang in there, Ciraldo. I've been a fan since '65, and I feel your pain. Things are gonna get better.

I'm having fun this year. That thing called a 'forward pass' is pretty interesting. I think with a few more big offensive linemen and the wide receiver we have coming in next year, it should be pretty exciting.

The defense has been terrible for the last decade, but I do see moments of life from them occasionally. I think we are heading in the right direction.

The only not so fun moments this year is watching us trying to execute a field goal or extra point. That my friends has been a total disaster on biblical proportions.

Not sure what you really expected. The game was evolving at the same time that we decided to turn back the clock in order to have a slight, temporary, schematic advantage. Then we couldn't even recruit to a level that maintained that system's advantages. You can't turn that around immediately. Could we be more disciplined; sure. Would it really make a difference; no.
ewZadlv.jpg

You know, it's almost as if a few people around here told you all this was going to happen.

And it happened because GT fans suck.
It happened because CPJ started losing too much. I don't know if that was the scheme's fault, him getting old, him not keeping a good group of assistants, or what.

Until CGC came along and proved that it was possible to get top talent interested in GT, we all thought the primary problem was CPJ's inability to hire the right DC.

Back