Sad to say: Tech Football Is No Fun Anymore

Maybe I’m weird but I am enjoying this season and I enjoyed last season. Why? For the same reason I enjoyed the early Johnson years. Change is good. How many of us were ready to eat a gun after 9-6? Johnson brought some energy, a new scheme, and he had the pieces and the coaching acumen to make it work. It was fun. But then the imagination left the offense and the ACC got a whole lot stronger and he limped into retirement with converted position players playing QB.

Collins can recruit and has brought in players but he’s had 1 class. There is no quick fix. I am enjoying watching a program be built from the foundation to the shingles. Right now we are still working on the foundation so we are getting rained on and the yard is a muddy mess. I have full faith that Key will get the OLine up to par. It may be 2022 until we see it but time Is not an issue. You can look at the most important position in college football, the QB, and know we have a guy playing a free season without a full fall camp who has the ability. Sims is the real deal. Again, it may take till 2022 when the OLine is ready to show it but there are a lot of teams in the ACC right now who would trade their QB for Sims in a heartbeat. We were totally outmanned by ND across the board. I would say Gibbs is the only player who would crack the ND starting lineup. That is why Collins was hired. He deserves more than 1 recruiting cycle for GT fans to jump ship.

Maybe I’m weird but I am enjoying this season and I enjoyed last season. Why? For the same reason I enjoyed the early Johnson years. Change is good. How many of us were ready to eat a gun after 9-6? Johnson brought some energy, a new scheme, and he had the pieces and the coaching acumen to make it work. It was fun. But then the imagination left the offense and the ACC got a whole lot stronger and he limped into retirement with converted position players playing QB.

Collins can recruit and has brought in players but he’s had 1 class. There is no quick fix. I am enjoying watching a program be built from the foundation to the shingles. Right now we are still working on the foundation so we are getting rained on and the yard is a muddy mess. I have full faith that Key will get the OLine up to par. It may be 2022 until we see it but time Is not an issue. You can look at the most important position in college football, the QB, and know we have a guy playing a free season without a full fall camp who has the ability. Sims is the real deal. Again, it may take till 2022 when the OLine is ready to show it but there are a lot of teams in the ACC right now who would trade their QB for Sims in a heartbeat. We were totally outmanned by ND across the board. I would say Gibbs is the only player who would crack the ND starting lineup. That is why Collins was hired. He deserves more than 1 recruiting cycle for GT fans to jump ship.
We have 4 300 pounders committed for 2021, iirc. All 6'4"+ with the biggest being 6'7", 330lbs iirc.

This is the first time in any season that Tech was heading into an off week and I didn't care. Watching this is not fun. It's sad, pitiful, hopeless and embarrassing. Of course, I'm 70. I don't have ten years for Collins to learn how to coach. I've been throuIgh this before. Curry was exasperating, but he was a Tech man, and he did seem more like a football coach than Collins. Bill Lewis was bad, but he was gone pretty quick. Ross's first two years were winless in the ACC, but his teams were always well coached. There was no question about whether he knew what he was doing. But Collins has not given me any reason to have any confidence. I can't wait for the off season. I think young fans should stick with this. Maybe Tech will be good again one day. I hope so. I thought the Notre Dame game was pretty good compared to others. But, when you lose 31-13 at home to a team that had the ball on your one yard line when the game ended, it's hard to get very enthusiastic. Nobody respects Tech football right now. It is very sad to me. Our coach and our AD seem totally clueless. I'm past worrying about it. I hope I live to see Tech be good again. But, I'll be surprised if I do. If you had been alive and seen Bobby Dodd coach, you would be very sad, too.
I was, and I am.

We have 4 300 pounders committed for 2021, iirc. All 6'4"+ with the biggest being 6'7", 330lbs iirc.
This is the kind of öööö we should be talking about. Those are the kind of kids that are going to make it actually reasonable to compete with a team like Notre Dame. At least there will be a respectable size comparison.

2015 was a disaster just as bad as Collins’s teams.
I disagree. The 2015 team wasn't as bad as the record. We came up on the wrong end of a lot of close games, like UGA 14-7, thanks to an early spate of injuries. We didn't lose to an FCS team.

In 2015, the average margin of loss was 9 points. In 2019, the average margin was 22.4 points. 2020 so far, 30 points.

We can correct that for number of possessions if you want and 2015 will still come out better.

I'm not going to post any more until the football season is over. Maybe we will win some more games by then. I hope we do. Good luck to all Tech players, coaches and fans.

The buzzword "transition" is now the go to for those that disagree with your point of view on the state of GT football. One's age and length of time as a fan will tend to force some to view things in a different light. I understand your point of view based on the "eye test" and results that we've witnessed.

"Transition" is no excuse for an apparent lack of preparation that many have touted on this board throughout the season. The great transition doesn't excuse a basic lack of assignment football in many cases, as well as stupid mistakes, penalties, and other "football" plays not associated with athletic ability, or lack thereof, when compared to the opposition.

I, like yourself, am optimistic that CGC and staff are on the right track to turning this crap show around in a reasonable period of time. It's apparent that the staff does a fairly good job of convincing perspective student athletes to buy in to the "transition". I'm hoping that the coaching/game planning part of the "transition" is soon to follow, as there has been no evidence of that occurring up to this point in the process.

At this point, if weekly improvement is observed, even the slightest bit, then all that can be hoped for is that an accumulation of improvement leads to an improvement in minimizing mistakes, penalties, and other associated football miscues which in turn lead to better overall results which translate into wins.

I am tired of the lame excuse that GT cannot recruit Clemson type players.

We absolutely ought to be able to field a team at Georgia Tech, being located in the center of the college universe of Atlanta, that competes directly with Clemson, UGAg, and Alabama for top tier talent.

GT has never brought in a Top 5 or Top 10 class. Those schools you listed do it every year and they have significantly more resources and advantages. You've been a fan too long to think that GT is going to be recruiting any where near their level on a sustained basis or heck, even as a one off.

My hope is to string together a few top 20 classes and see some quality coaching.

Last edited:
GT has never brought in a Top 5 or Top 10 class. Those schools you listed do it every year and they have significantly more resources and advantages. You've been a fan too long to think that GT is going to recruiting any where near their level on a sustained basis or heck, even as a one off.

My hope is to string together a few top 20 classes and see some quality coaching.
They have money
We have Atlanta.
Have you seen the campus lately? New dorms going up across North Avenue. New Student Center being built right now. Technology Square is unparalleled by Clemson or UGAg or Bamalama. Downtown is vibrant. The corridor from GT to Mercedes Benz stadium has transformed and continues to transform.

This is no longer the GT from 25 years ago where every building looked like a 1970's dinosaur. We are shiny new hotness. Even the new frat building and the new sorority house on the north end of the stadium are nice. I expect Peter's Parking Deck to eventually be razed and replaced with greenspace.

Fair enough then. For clarification, will that be because we have improved, Clemson has regressed (Dabo to Bama) or a combination of both?
Improved, dumbass. Now STFU already. I answered your question. Come back in 2023 to apologize or gloat. Meanwhile.......
:gtfo2:

Have you seen the campus lately? New dorms going up across North Avenue. New Student Center being built right now. Technology Square is unparalleled by Clemson or UGAg or Bamalama. Downtown is vibrant. The corridor from GT to Mercedes Benz stadium has transformed and continues to transform.

This is no longer the GT from 25 years ago where every building looked like a 1970's dinosaur. We are shiny new hotness. Even the new frat building and the new sorority house on the north end of the stadium are nice. I expect Peter's Parking Deck to eventually be razed and replaced with greenspace.

I have and I do at (nearly) every home game. None of the new academic buildings nor greek houses are going to make a difference in recruiting or elevate GT into recruiting at that level.

As long as you've been a GT fan, you really think that GT is going to recruit at a sustained level that it never has in its history? The school would have to undergo a cultural change that isn't likely, not too mention a significantly higher amount of giving from donors. I just got an email from Stansbury that sounds like cuts are likely for next season, btw.

What I do think is attainable and would be "fun" (in keeping w/the theme of the thread) is to string together a few top 20ish classes and then see them coached with a superior play caller.

Anger issues. Trying to have a civil conversation but guess you are incapable of doing that with someone that has a differing opinion. Typical keyboard bad guy.
No, you asked me a question. I answered. You came back with a question because you didn't get the answer you apparently needed. If you don't want me to answer your question, don't ask. I answered your question. Move along. Don't go all high spectrum bullshit on me because you can't deal with a different opinion than yours. This isn't the 100 questions board where you get to keep asking me questions until you somehow get some semblance of an answer you want.

I suggest putting me on ignore if your fee-fees are so delicate

Bobinski-hate should absolutely be the unifying issue for all GT fans, regardless of their coaching or schematic preferences.

We should be very thankful to CPJ - all of us - for sticking it out despite hating his life while working for Bobinski. He said himself that he was about to leave and then Todd S showed up and reinvigorated the program. Bobinski choosing GT's football coach would truly have been the death of us.

Hey, I am the same age as cbee. All of us are not like him. Granted, your knees hurt, your back hurts, you have to pee all night, you friends are passing, you know you are in the middle of the 4th quarter, it is depressing. However, if you lose all optimism, you just become a burden. Our football team has a long way to go, but I truly think Collins will get us back to the O’Leary/Fridgen level. At least I hope so, I don’t have that many 5 year plans left.

OK, so in what year do you expect that he will recruit on the level with Clemson?
Clemson didn’t even recruit like Clemson ten years ago. And I remember when Bama couldn’t pull top recruits under Perkins. And where was Ohio State before Urban brought them into the new era? Point being, no one knows rather future direction of college football. Who would have thought FSU, Miami, and Florida would be irrelevant? Say what you want, but Clemson hired a young dynamic coach 10 years ago and look where they are now. No one would have predicted that. Not saying GT will become that, but Collins is our coach and what’s wrong with supporting him for more than hot minute. He’s had 1 recruiting class and he was hired to recruit. He has a seven year contract so my time frame is seven years.

Back