Sadly,it is time to drop UGA...

stingpower

Varsity Lurker
8 wins at BDS since 1955...57,61,63,69,77,85,99...we can't recruit the same players,and the joy of beating the Mutts helps mostly in 1-selling tickets to our bowl,and 2-that "feel good"karma for players,coach's alumni and fans....I doubt it matters to most recruits when we beat UGA,most HS seniors looking at FCS/FBS schools care most about playing time and then their education/future career.....the bad PR from losing to UGA can't be measured,of course,but in lost ticket sales to our bowl it would have to be a lot.....One Idea would be to replace UGA with GA Sou or Ga State.We have enough of a conference rivalry with Clemson,Miami,VT....We will never get The Hill or BOR to change or help...so time to re-think GT-UGA!

I have the ticket stubbs and car rental and

motel receipts to show my loyality to GT sports....

I don't think it's a terrible idea to drop them, but I think the act of actually doing it would provoke such a backlash that the Governor of Georgia and the Legislature would get involved, and who knows how that'd break.

We would need some kind of Pearl Harbor event to justify dropping the series, like a shooting or something.

Why would you be willing to sacrifice history and rivalry for the sake of satisfying your selfish needs of "fandom"? The rivalry is competitive (from a game to game perspective, although the final results suck) and the kids obviously like playing in the game. When you lose at something in life, you make yourself better and come back to try again; you don't pick up your ball and go home.

Things in life that are difficult to achieve make the accomplishment that much sweeter.

Or we need them to hire Dooley Jr. That's how Vandy caught Tennessee.

I wouldn't be to upset about it, that's for öööö sure.

That would be 50 dollars a year in my pocket.

People who think things will never change always baffle me. Things change so rapidly, so frequently, especially in football. Yeah the odds are against us right now, just man up and weather the storm. If you don't keep competing then you don't get to enjoy it when some day it's skewed in your favor.

It would be the ultimate shame. No way. We will get better and beat them. Should have beat them this year. 4th and 6 to almost surely win the game and they convert.

8 wins at BDS since 1955...57,61,63,69,77,85,99...we can't recruit the same players,and the joy of beating the Mutts helps mostly in 1-selling tickets to our bowl,and 2-that "feel good"karma for players,coach's alumni and fans....I doubt it matters to most recruits when we beat UGA,most HS seniors looking at FCS/FBS schools care most about playing time and then their education/future career.....the bad PR from losing to UGA can't be measured,of course,but in lost ticket sales to our bowl it would have to be a lot.....One Idea would be to replace UGA with GA Sou or Ga State.We have enough of a conference rivalry with Clemson,Miami,VT....We will never get The Hill or BOR to change or help...so time to re-think GT-UGA!

140 posts...since 2001. A Real. Passionate. GT. Fan.

Were you aware that...

*O'Leary is no longer coaching GT?
*George Godsey & Joe Hamilton have graduated
*These things called iPads were invented
*Space Shuttles stopped flying
*The dot-com bubble burst
*The cant-miss real state bubble burst
*An Anfrican-American was elected US President
*GM stoppped making Camaros & Firebirds

Wow. Just so much to get you updated on.

I'm pretty sure that UGA is in the middle of their most successful streak period. When St. Richt finally leaves/dies/gets canned, things will be real different for them.

Let me make sure I understand you.

Two teams with identical records play, and have an identical score after 60 minutes. So we should drop them because of that?

I don't think it's a terrible idea to drop them, but I think the act of actually doing it would provoke such a backlash that the Governor of Georgia and the Legislature would get involved, and who knows how that'd break.

We would need some kind of Pearl Harbor event to justify dropping the series, like a shooting or something.

Simple. Just run back a missed FG for a winning TD.

It was easy enough in Alabama.

Why would you be willing to sacrifice history and rivalry...

I might argue that GT already sacrificed both 'history' and 'rivalry' by choosing not to compete at the same level as UGA in the sorts of things necessary to win at football.

140 posts...since 2001. A Real. Passionate. GT. Fan.

So the number of posts on Stingtalk is the measure of one's passion for GT sports? I have a friend I need to inform immediately. He's had season tickets for 30+ years, but never posted on ST. He's probably under the misconception that he's a Tech fan.

Let me make sure I understand you.

Two teams with identical records play, and have an identical score after 60 minutes. So we should drop them because of that?
Those same 2 teams have played the last 13 years and we have 1 scratch in the so called rivalry. I would not mind at all dropping the game.

It would not be hard to develop a actual RIVALRY with Georgia Southern, Ugag just counts the GT game as a win every year anyway.

Back