Sadly,it is time to drop UGA...

By the second sentence you've now charged me with playing an easier schedule (never said that)

Fact: Annually Tech plays one of the toughest schedules in Division 1.

Go look that up. Then go look up Duke, who played a schedule comparable to ours, sans an SEC team at the end of the season. Then get back to me and tell me how you think playing a barely above average schedule is hard and how playing an even softer schedule will make Tech a better football team.

And ignoring your really, really dumb ideas about dropping the series isn't disregarding anything but a really, really dumb idea.

And John Davis is my evidence. Because, unlike you (I assume) and I, he played football. For Georgia Tech. At a high level. And was given the chance to play for Georgia and chose not to. He was the type of athlete you'd need to recruit to win.

You want to drop UGA because you think it will somehow make us better. So, like this, right?

Gnomes_plan.png

Your post is well supported by others including myself. The reason is simply that as a businessman I realize how powerfully negative the UGA loss is on our program. We lost to FSU 11 straight or something and it meant nothing, although it was frustrating at the time.

Please explain to me what "being a businessman" (whatever that means) has to do with a football game? You somehow think that that the UGA loss is massively negative for our team. You know what would be really, really negative for our team from a recruiting and financial? Not playing them anymore.

That game sells out BDS every other year, with ticket prices that are 2-3 times more than any other game. How are you planning on replacing that revenue?

If you think losing to UGA hurts us in recruiting, think of the negative recruiting that will come out of us backing out of the series. We will lose a ton of recruits from Georgia.

We lost to FSU 11 straight or something and it meant nothing, although it was frustrating at the time.
Losing to UGA is going to continue regularly and since it happens at the end of the year regularly Tech's future is going to dwindle more and more.

I don't think losing to FSU meant nothing. A win against FSU would have indicated that our program was good, which would have meant improved recruiting as a result (or a MNC if we're talking about 1998). You have a very defeatist attitude, especially considering that we have definitely not lost 11 in-a-row and have been very close to beating UGA in 3 of the last 5 games.

As a minimum we should play them the first game of the year (if UGA doesn't want to, then drop it). We have no depth considering all the constraints at Tech, playing what we make to be our most important opponent should not be when we are at our weakest. It's just plain DUMB scheduling.

Generally our weakest is probably mid-season, after we've played 5-6 consecutive games. That's when we have the most injuries, guys are tired and burned out from classes + football, etc. Last game of the year is not our weakest, we are playing at our best at the end of the year 9 out of 10 times.

I could get behind scheduling them at the start of the year, but our strength/weakness has nothing to do with it. If we get them at the start, we have a whole season to redeem a loss, they have more players out due to suspensions, and hopefully they are not fully "gelled" on O and D.

As a business decision it's a very good one.

See start of post. Its absolutely not. But continue your trolling.

Between this and claiming GT-UGA womens basketball would begin out out-draw mens, he's been on fire lately.

Good Lord, that comment was a compliment to Tech's Women's Basketball and a knock on UGA men's basketball. Tech's men's team is slowly trying to climb out, but UGA's is just plain awful and very poorly supported. Meanwhile, when Tech and UGA women played each other recently and of late, they were close to both being in the Top 25, something UGA has enjoyed for a long time.

On a completely unrelated topic, this is what some of us non-kool aid drinkers among the Georgia Southern fan base use to describe Georgia Southern's plan to move to the Sun Belt.

It's such an appropriate reference for so many poorly thought out ideas.

Good Lord, that comment was a compliment to Tech's Women's Basketball and a knock on UGA men's basketball. Tech's men's team is slowly trying to climb out, but UGA's is just plain awful and very poorly supported. Meanwhile, when Tech and UGA women played each other recently and of late, they were close to both being in the Top 25, something UGA has enjoyed for a long time.

Attendance for this year's games, both in Athens:

Top 25 UGA women vs. just outside Top 25 GT women - 3,084

Miserable UGA men vs. unranked GT men - 10,523

Go look that up. Then go look up Duke, who played a schedule comparable to ours, sans an SEC team at the end of the season. Then get back to me and tell me how you think playing a barely above average schedule is hard and how playing an even softer schedule will make Tech a better football team.

And ignoring your really, really dumb ideas about dropping the series isn't disregarding anything but a really, really dumb idea.

And John Davis is my evidence. Because, unlike you (I assume) and I, he played football. For Georgia Tech. At a high level. And was given the chance to play for Georgia and chose not to. He was the type of athlete you'd need to recruit to win.

You want to drop UGA because you think it will somehow make us better. So, like this, right?

Gnomes_plan.png

Gosh, for the last time, I do not remember ever saying I wanted a softer schedule.

I am no John Davis, the closest I got to playing for Tech was at tryouts. However over multiple sports I have had a fairly elite career. But see this response below.

Yes I believe dropping or moving UGA to the first game will ultimately help Tech reach much higher goals within ten years. Thanks for the reply.

Gosh, for the last time, I do not remember ever saying I wanted a softer schedule.
No, you said Tech already played a hard schedule (we don't) and you're advocating removing the only thing from our schedule that even keeps it in the upper half of college football.

No, you said Tech already played a hard schedule (we don't) and you're advocating removing the only thing from our schedule that even keeps it in the upper half of college football.

Don't worry, mid thinks (incorrectly) that teams like Texas, Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, etc. will jump at the chance to play us non-conference if we dropped UGA.

Don't worry, mid thinks (incorrectly) that teams like Texas, Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, etc. will jump at the chance to play us non-conference if we dropped UGA.
Especially since we'll be on a magical, unexplainable rise to greatness.

Please explain to me what "being a businessman" (whatever that means) has to do with a football game? Running a football team is exactly like running a business. You train, motivate people, you analyze numbers, you are creative, you sell yourself to your supporters...all with the intent of growing your market share/beating your competition. Like I said before, RC Cola would destroy themselves if they took their (last) resources and took on Coke and Pepsi head on. That does not mean however that RC Cola can't be number 1 one day. These two thoughts are mutually exclusive just like Tech/UGA and Tech #1 in the nation (and state) could be mutually exclusive.

You somehow think that that the UGA loss is massively negative for our team. You know what would be really, really negative for our team from a recruiting and financial? Not playing them anymore.

That game sells out BDS every other year, with ticket prices that are 2-3 times more than any other game. How are you planning on replacing that revenue?

This is an excellent point and I appreciate it and believe it offers the most risk to any plan. However, as it stands, we are tethered to UGA and their ticket sales. I happen to believe that we can do a whole lot better on our own and breaking away from UGA allows us that chance(better).
An analogy to my thoughts would be the bully on your street as a kid. He's twice your size but boy do you want to kick his ass. He's the best player, draws the game to him, sets the field you play on and what time of day, etc. You keep getting the crap beaten out of you as your half his size. But one day, you grow up and leave the anger and the bully alone. You go work on your own game. You get back to enjoying it fully. You start to draw your own friends and create your own games and dang the season is longer and richer. The whole time the bully is making fun of you but because you've just ignored him, you start to find a way on your own, and people notice. And one day the bully is completely forgotten by everyone except you meet him back at high school. You're now the 6' tall handsome, highly intelligent, highly skilled young man and look across the field and see that that the bully is still 5'2" and hasn't changed a bit. It happens all the time in life, football and business. (I actually am not recommending go so far as to completely avoid the bully.)

If you think losing to UGA hurts us in recruiting, think of the negative recruiting that will come out of us backing out of the series. We will lose a ton of recruits from Georgia.
Like I said before, I think this is a given already. We are not getting anything close to our share of the elite state recruits. It could be academic and I see that we're looking nationwide now. I think that is a smart move and I can assure you that those New Jersey recruits could care less about UGA.

I don't think losing to FSU meant nothing. Thank you for this. I didn't make myself clear. Each game versus FSU was very important of course. I meant in the end, it didn't hurt us like losing to UGA does.

A win against FSU would have indicated that our program was good, which would have meant improved recruiting as a result (or a MNC if we're talking about 1998). You have a very defeatist attitude, especially considering that we have definitely not lost 11 in-a-row and have been very close to beating UGA in 3 of the last 5 games.
Yes, on the FSU comment, I agree. See above. As to UGA, if you step back and look at it like a coach would, we haven't been close. I don't want to lose but I really thought this last game would wake more of ya'll up. We played darn near perfect football...and lost.

Generally our weakest is probably mid-season, after we've played 5-6 consecutive games. That's when we have the most injuries, guys are tired and burned out from classes + football, etc. Last game of the year is not our weakest, we are playing at our best at the end of the year 9 out of 10 times.
Playing better at the end of the year in relation to other teams doing the same gets you no advantage. The single biggest killer we have is lack of star D1 athletes that can do Tech. That is, no depth. I'm sorry but lack of depth is more and more of a killer as the season goes on. (There are outliers of course.) Again, losing 2 OL out of 6 is much worse than losing 2 OL out of 10.

I could get behind scheduling them at the start of the year, but our strength/weakness has nothing to do with it. If we get them at the start, we have a whole season to redeem a loss, they have more players out due to suspensions, and hopefully they are not fully "gelled" on O and D.
Yes I do believe playing them early plays into our strengths a bit better but I prefer to believe that it has to do with added irregularity to teams starts in general, the fact that school has only just started (huge advantage to Tech), the fact that UGA can recruit 4/5 star three year players so they should have more turnover (equalizer for us if played early), less injuries (huge advantage us), etc.

But I am no coward and am facing the firing line straight on here. It also has to do with managing our opponent better, or more specifically, managing the overwhelming advantage that they have on us.

See start of post. Its absolutely not. But continue your trolling.

Not everyone with a different opinion is trolling and I have been here for years and was the 50th person on the Hive (i.e. a while). Look, as per above's post, I could brag about my personal athletic prowess but this is a coaching/management issue.

I coached about 2000 games in the last ten or fifteen years in multiple sports/clubs. I am not John Davis and I am not Paul Johnson, two guys I admire. As a club coach, I actually get to pick out the path of how the team gets there. You have to compete for players at every age, you have to find your own resources, you have to develop kids. And it's no different in college football. Two big things I learned in coaching/managing a club is that kids can change up or down very quickly and you'd better be open to find new ways and open at always reviewing the situation and kids.

I've had my own business for 25 years and the same applies (which looks nothing like 25 years ago). I happen to believe it all applies to college athletics too. There is always a best path to find and to sit stuck on the same one without positive results is really dumb.

Navy is not in state with Notre Dame and i hope we arent being compared to Navy.

You missed the point in glorious fashion.

We are discussing longstanding rivalries, geographical location is ancillary to the point.

Further, we are discussing rivalries where one team has dominated the other in recent history. Notre Dame has completely dominated Navy, irrespective of a recent win, yet Navy still plays the game and no fan suggests they stop.

We have a much better chance of beating UGA more often than Navy does of beating Notre Dame, but that is the point. That fact does not cause Navy fans to consider stopping the rivalry.

The fact we are in the same state, and that we have been more competitive are both reasons we should man up and play the game despite any disadvantages we have relative to the football factories. Navy-ND is just an extreme example of a team that plays the damned game despite any competitive disadvantages.

OK, he has to be trolling. No one says "I could brag about my personal athletic prowess" straight faced.

We are discussing longstanding rivalries, geographical location is ancillary to the point.

Further, we are discussing rivalries where one team has dominated the other in recent history. Notre Dame has completely dominated Navy, irrespective of a recent win, yet Navy still plays the game and no fan suggests they stop.

We have a much better chance of beating UGA more often than Navy does of beating Notre Dame, but that is the point. That fact does not cause Navy fans to consider stopping the rivalry.

The fact we are in the same state, and that we have been more competitive are both reasons we should man up and play the game despite any disadvantages we have relative to the football factories. Navy-ND is just an extreme example of a team that plays the damned game despite any competitive disadvantages.

I don't argue your general point but I will point out that Navy is a second tier independent who depends on ND's generosity every year. If Tech could play the Falcons for example, and make a lot of money, maybe we would. It is abusiness after all. The truth is that Navy and Tech are similar, we are both tethered to the money machine and sell out for the buck. However, Navy has no choice, we do.

OK, he has to be trolling. No one says "I could brag about my personal athletic prowess" straight faced.

Cute. You insinuated I wasn't worthy of an opinion, brought in your boy John Davis as your example and then jump subject matters again. Calvin Johnson just texted me and he agreed that you can't hang.

Ridicule from in state alums, players and fans doesnt apply at all if its not locally. If you dont live in close confines it doesnt pour as much salt in the wounds. There is no way this board was ever upset as much when Fsu whipped up about 10 times and how it feels with UGAG.

Cute. You insinuated I wasn't worthy of an opinion, brought in your boy John Davis as your example and then jump subject matters again. Calvin Johnson just texted me and he agreed that you can't hang.
Did you ask him his opinion on your moron idea?

Back