"say it ain't so"

oldfoggy

Dodd-Like
"say it ain\'t so"

Damar. were you the one who posted yesterday with a secret? If so was it the rumor that Tony H is out of school? If so is there any truth to that rumor or is this just more hype from the butt sniffers?

Re: "say it ain\'t so"

The Hive just deleted any posts related to students athletes flunking out even though under the premium section there is a post from Master B titled "BAD BAD news for the football team".

I don't understand the Hive's reasoning when there appears to be some confirmatin from Master B, but it is their board.

Anyone got the scoop?

If this reigns true, I'm particularly sorry for Tony! I had the wonderful opportunity to meet and talk with him at length last season...he's a fine young man.

I was looking forward to him being back in the lineup!!!

Looking at the subject lines of the Master B's thread on the premium Hive site, it looks like Hollings won't be the last one.

Thanks jbGT, They didn't ban me but I guess I was lucky this time. I only asked a question and you would have guessed I had committed a mortal sin. So was it a total out or can it be made up in summer school?

It's worse than that. According to 92buzz, there are 11 (eleven!!) players out. Out, not having to bust ass in summer school, but out. Gag. What happened to the puke Gramlin?

I cut and pasted 92buzz's post before it got nuked:

Subject:
I am afraid we just had ELEVEN players fail out...
. Posted By: 92buzz

Posted At: 5/14/03 9:51:04 am

and yes, T.H. is among them. And it gets worse: apparently the OTHER T.H. is ALSO among them.

I just heard this not 2 minutes ago from an unimpeachable source. (Note: I believe this is the FIRST time I have ever posted something like this, so take that for what it is worth).

I am in shock, and I am angry.
92buzz

i have quit posting on the hive, i am not politically correct and i have tendency to tell it like it is. i know one thing for a fact.we had better upgrade our quality of athletes in football if this expansion takes place or we will be mire near the bottom forever. our first priority should be hiring a head football coach who can take us to the level of miami,fsu,syracuse and maryland.

I swear I am not going to say "I told you so". But I will say "fire his ass now". I'm not sure of my facts here, but if I'm not mistaken not Bill Lewis, Curry, Ross, O'Leary, maybe not even Pepper and certainly not in one year, have we lost 11.

If this turns out to be confirmed and true, I would ride his ass out now. Losing to Fresno short of 8 was bad enough, how well will we do short of 11? Doesn't look good comrades.

WASP... just a FYI... I don't have time right now to go and get the names but I can try if you'd really like, but... over a 2 year span O'Leary lost THIRTY players that were not seniors. I've posted this in the past during conversations over attrition and recruiting strategies. Just wanted to put that out there. Not defending anyone certainly just stating something most people do not remember. I think this problem potentially is different and maybe worse in the big picture.

gnats,

Hopefully it's just another bad rumor.

Unfortunately, it seems like all the "rumors" lately (i.e. Nelson and Bosh leaving) have been true.

I can't remember the last big false one.

Master B,

Just curious. How many of those 30 were transfers and how many were due them failing out of school?

Obviously some transfer in order to avoid failing out but I can't recall this many big names failing out at the same time. Hopefully this will turn out to be only partly true (i.e.-warning not failed out) but it sure doesn't look good.

Please, all academic snobs remember post no. 602 above by MS Tech Analysis. It will come in handy as we continue to lose and/or not sign to begin with, QUALITY young PEOPLE/players. We WILL however get to see them play...against us. THWG

Pilot, I don't have the info with me here at work, but there were all kinds of reason for the attrition in those numbers, not just grades. That's why I say that if this is as extensive as it might be then it may be a bigger concern than even the high rates of turnover from the O'Leary regime. This looks like it could be a higher up "problem" with possibly tougher academic standards.... I don't know just guessing. I just want to make it clear to those that don't remember that our turnover in the past 5 years has been unreal... this is no different in that respect. The difference this time is all could come at once and for the same reason when all players wanted to be here and it wasn't just a bunch of 5th years seniors that weren't playing much and were ready to graduate with eligibility left over... like was the case a lot in the past. If I get the chance I'll post a list of the past few years as far as I can go back to. If I can get around to it, I'll post it here and on the Hive.

There are 2 things that have to be considered here.

First is the one everyone is piling onto - how did the athletic support infrastructure - up to and including the coach - allow this to happen on this scale.

The second - and potentially more troubling long term - is is GT structured and aligned for success in competing with the Miami/FSUs of the FB world? And this is regardless of who the coach is.

Right now we are trying to recruit at a level to compete athletically with UGA, FSU and eventually Miami but we don't have the ability (on a broad scale) to recruit and retain kids who have those athletic skills. And to this outsider, I don't see the hill doing the things to bring these 2 goals into alignment.

IMO a lot of folks are looking at our being able to compete in the potential ACC south as a given. This terrible news, if true, worries me to death that we will find ourselves really frustrated with the constraints our FB program operates under.

GoldZ - I agree ( I think anyway
smile.gif

See my point on parallel thread...

The academic standards at Tech will DOOM us in my opinion. we either have to have a more diverse curriculum, OR relax the standards =- at least SOME

Thanks Master B. I've longed believed that Tech should adopt some more diverse degrees not because of athletes but because of all students in general. Too many hard working kids have failed out of this school and that "we will try to make you fail" attitude that Tech has had for years is starting to lose its luster.

Adding a few extra degrees will do nothing to the reputation at Tech (especially the engineering side) and (with the increased graduation rates) will likely improve it. There are plenty of schools (with much looser degree programs) that are rated ahead of us.

Seems to me clough is the CEO who should bee responsible. I think we should also remember that GT is a state school supported by state taxpayers and we have a responsibility to the state of Ga students first. If we have to adjust to the state's current standards then that is what is required, not adjusting to New York's or Korea's.

Back