SC State band

Only problem I had with them is that they actually played DURING a play (while our offense was on the field) during the fourth quarter. They're not supposed to do that.

This was really the only thing that I found more than annoying. They also did it when it was their own team on offense. And when refs were trying to call a penalty.

No offense to anyone on this board that is a GT band member or family/friend of a GT band member........but I wish our band was more like SC State. I liked their swagger, I liked how they played the same long song in between plays when on defense, I liked their halftime routine better and don't even get me started on the drum majors. How awesome would it be if we played "put on" or "f-tuning" for a whole defensive series? The players would love it!

Bottom line:
The band SHOULD be annoying to the other team and other team's fans (within the game rules).

No offense to anyone on this board that is a GT band member or family/friend of a GT band member........but I wish our band was more like SC State. I liked their swagger, I liked how they played the same long song in between plays when on defense, I liked their halftime routine better and don't even get me started on the drum majors. How awesome would it be if we played "put on" or "f-tuning" for a whole defensive series? The players would love it!

Bottom line:
The band SHOULD be annoying to the other team and other team's fans (within the game rules).
I'm pretty sure SC State is an HBCU, which completely explains why their band was so good.

Bottom line:

SC State's band is pretty typical of HBCUs. They all take a large amount of pride in the band (sometimes more than in the football team).

It'd be awesome for Tech to have a band like that, but I don't think we have the "personnel" to fit the scheme.

I liked their band, and in fact, typically enjoy the style a historically black college band brings to a football game. Down on the high school level I'd much rather hear SWD's band at a game than Lassiter.

When we are on the road and the third quarter ends our pep band strikes up Budweiser, whether or not the home team is playing or not. We just aren't loud enough to bother anyone.

If we want to diminish the effect big bands have at Grant Field/Bobby Dodd Stadium, move them over one section. Have them in the last section of the lower East, Sections 101-103 will hear them loud. But, with the opposing band in a corner you maximize their sound over the whole stadium.

I don't know why people like schools that play only rap songs. I just wanna hear music that fits the school.

They played after our first score during Rambling Wreck, then were completely silent until our second score and played during Rambling Wreck again. Same for the Budweiser song. Seriously? WTF?

I was in the South stands and we all booed them.

Yeah, I was there too. Kinda felt bad to have cheered for them on field, then boo them in the stands, but they were obnoxiously loud.

Then again, most teams have 4th quarter songs that they play in other stadiums too (GT does), but they played non-stop.

I will admit, their version of "All I Do Is Win" was pretty cool. But you have to understand that HBCUs take an enormous amount of pride in their bands, so to them their band is sort of a 12th man or second team out there.

It'd be awesome for Tech to have a band like that, but I don't think we have the "personnel" to fit the scheme.

I know, but I felt the need to respond to the OP.

For us to have a band like that and CPJ at the same time would just not be fair.

Question: Why the hell would you put the away band in a corner? To make sure they are louder than our band?

Question: Why the hell would you put the away band in a corner? To make sure they are louder than our band?

Why wouldn't you let people into the season opener? Why wouldn't you have decent online ticket sales? Why wouldn't you let local alumni clubs send out e-mails? Why wouldn't you allow season ticket purchases after your first win over U[sic]GA in seven years? Why would you give a coach a lifetime contract? Why...

Why wouldn't you let people into the season opener? Why wouldn't you have decent online ticket sales? Why wouldn't you let local alumni clubs send out e-mails? Why wouldn't you allow season ticket purchases after your first win over U[sic]GA in seven years? Why would you give a coach a lifetime contract? Why...

Should have gone with "Why wouldn't you think about it before giving a coach a lifetime contract?"

Mixing up the "woulds" and wouldn'ts" killed it.

Back