Schadenfrude (am i doing this right?) from Miami = "Go after the coaches son"

Usually nepotism is just a ploy to get two salaries. It would be hard to convince anyone that Jon Richt is the most capable OC available for a job at the University of Miami.

Eh, he's just the qb coach, who in my mind isn't to blame for anything

It must be really frustrating when you invest $25 in a hat and tshirt from the strip mall next to the pill-dispensing doctor's office and the team lets you down. Could have spent that money on more Oxy. I feel for them.

Whoa on there....don't over do it.

I hate VT much worse. WV is the biggest hillbillies in sports.

VPI fans were bad up there up until they had that shooting, bad enough that girlfriends and wives in my traveling party refused to go back. More annoying than threatening (random girls flipping you off from cars driving by, people yelling at you from tailgates as you walked by). Since the shooting (I don't know if this was also tied to anything else), it's been nothing but quiet and peaceful up there. Nobody messes with you or says anything to you, not even the students. They do their thing before and during the game (and it is pretty exciting) but leave the visitors alone.

Miami fans really are literally the worst (the sidewalk fans, at least - I've never really met any alums). Demographically, they seem to have a lot of lower class (in terms of socio-economic status and behavior) fans. A lot of loudmouth Yankee / NFL mentality. U[sic]GA fans will get in your face and harass you sometimes, but Miami fans seem to take pride in it, like it's the thing that you're supposed to be doing as a fan. (And at least with U[sic]GA, there's real hate and rivalry there - Miami's just some team we play every year recently, like Pitt or UVA.) I've had drink vendors walking the aisles talk öööö to me at Miami. Occasionally, it's been mostly in fun - I was in a crowd of them waiting on the gates to open down there, and one guy was kind playfully yelling at me about how I was around a bunch of people with bad credit now (whatever that means). But then I've also had people run by and knock my hat off and call me a [slang for homosexual that the board apparently censors], too. The fact that they sell liquor in the stadium fuels things, as does the ridiculous overemphasis on "swagger." I've never encountered another fanbase like them - at most places, even when things get intense, there's still an undercurrent of southern hospitality or midwestern niceness or whatever that keeps things in check. They've got none of that - their fan culture really is based around how loud and obnoxious you can be to demonstrate your swagger to the haters.

Most places, if you tell them their fans are obnoxious, they'll deny it as an exception. At Miami, they revel in it.

JRjr

Last edited:
It's amazing how quickly they went from thinking Richt was going to be da U's Lord and Savior to wanting him gone.

VPI fans were bad up there up until they had that shooting, bad enough that girlfriends and wives in my traveling party refused to go back. More annoying than threatening (random girls flipping you off from cars driving by, people yelling at you from tailgates as you walked by). Since the shooting (I don't know if this was also tied to anything else), it's been nothing but quiet and peaceful up there. Nobody messes with you or says anything to you, not even the students. They do their thing before and during the game (and it is pretty exciting) but leave the visitors alone.

Miami fans really are literally the worst (the sidewalk fans, at least - I've never really met any alums). Demographically, they seem to have a lot of lower class (in terms of socio-economic status and behavior) fans. A lot of loudmouth Yankee / NFL mentality. U[sic]GA fans will get in your face and harass you sometimes, but Miami fans seem to take pride in it, like it's the thing that you're supposed to be doing as a fan. (And at least with U[sic]GA, there's real hate and rivalry there - Miami's just some team we play every year recently, like Pitt or UVA.) I've had drink vendors walking the aisles talk öööö to me at Miami. Occasionally, it's been mostly in fun - I was in a crowd of them waiting on the gates to open down there, and one guy was kind playfully yelling at me about how I was around a bunch of people with bad credit now (whatever that means). But then I've also had people run by and knock my hat off and call me a [slang for homosexual that the board apparently censors], too. The fact that they sell liquor in the stadium fuels things, as does the ridiculous overemphasis on "swagger." I've never encountered another fanbase like them - at most places, even when things get intense, there's still an undercurrent of southern hospitality or midwestern niceness or whatever that keeps things in check. They've got none of that - their fan culture really is based around how loud and obnoxious you can be to demonstrate your swagger to the haters.

Most places, if you tell them their fans are obnoxious, they'll deny it as an exception. At Miami, they revel in it.

JRjr
My worst experience with opposing fans at an away game was FSU 2009. Thank God we won

In terms of obnoxiousness, my worst experiences, in order, have been uga, Awbarn, and Clempsum. I’ve always had generally pleasant experiences with VPISU and Miami fans.

Syracuse fans were mouthy but left at halftime and missed the 50+ points we put on them.

Miami by far the worst fans I've ever encountered, 10x worse than UGA. Went down there for 2009 game. From the parking attendant to the beer vendors, "fans", etc., it was a disaster. Although I do not believe any were alumni.

My worst experience with opposing fans at an away game was FSU 2009. Thank God we won

That lightning delay was brutal. I remember FSU fans chucking full gatorades from the stadium ramp down on tech fans already standing outside the gate

In terms of obnoxiousness, my worst experiences, in order, have been uga, Awbarn, and Clempsum. I’ve always had generally pleasant experiences with VPISU and Miami fans.

Syracuse fans were mouthy but left at halftime and missed the 50+ points we put on them.
I have never had a problem with Clempson fans. They treat us like long lost family members when we play there, and always seem gracious when we play them at BDS@GF.

I have never had a problem with Clempson fans. They treat us like long lost family members when we play there, and always seem gracious when we play them at BDS@GF.

That’s why they’re third on my list. Their more sober fans will apologize for the obnoxious ones, but I doubt their sincerity.

That lightning delay was brutal. I remember FSU fans chucking full gatorades from the stadium ramp down on tech fans already standing outside the gate
It was bad, but the year before, I went to UF/FSU as an impartial fan in Tallahassee (2008, same day we beat UGAg in Athens). I witnessed monumental nastiness and folks being horrible people all day long. Weather was awful. FSU fans were awful to the outnumbered Florida fans. Tebow then proceeded to kick Seminole ass in the monsoon weather

It was bad, but the year before, I went to UF/FSU as an impartial fan in Tallahassee (2008, same day we beat UGAg in Athens). I witnessed monumental nastiness and folks being horrible people all day long. Weather was awful. FSU fans were awful to the outnumbered Florida fans. Tebow then proceeded to kick Seminole ass in the monsoon weather
I was in the Virgin Islands that day. Got laid. Drank cheap-ass island rum.

It was glorious.

Auburn fans were fine at their place. One kid threw a box of Nerds at us, which was kinda clever, and hey, free Nerds! Nobody else said or did anything.

I've been to Clemson 10+ times and I can remember maybe 2 instances where a drunk student said something, and even then, their friends apologized. They've been uniformly gracious (in victory and defeat) and friendly. They pushed my car out of the mud when it got stuck after one of the rain games. I can't imagine having a negative experience with Clemson people.

I had negative experiences with some FSU frat boys in like '99 and '01, but 2009 was as peaceful as it could be for me.

JRjr

Worst fans I've dealt with

1- Yankees
2- Phillies
3- Dawgs

Best fans I've dealt with are probably Clemson & Red Sox. The college aged Clemson fans can get pretty rowdy, but enemy territory is usually pretty nice all around.

I guarantee that if Richt were to leave Miami under anything other than a severe losing seasons or actual criminal/NCAA violations. F$U would pick him up in a heartbeat. And signal the return to the Bowden glory years.

This all goes in to my theory that GT will forever be in an orbit of playing a better resourced team that Richt coaches. He would not go to the big ten or somewhere we would never hear from him again.1

If you are a head coach of a high profile program, and you choose to put your kid on your staff, I would think you might know from the start that this could happen. You probably know what you are setting yourself up for from the start.
I think it’s crazy that Dabo has his son playing for him. Thats a lot of pressure on the kid.

I yelled out “inbreds(inbreeds) wear red” in 2015 and got stared at pretty heavily by a guy who looked like he wanted to punch me.

Last edited:
Back