Scrimmage

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, I meant to ask before but who is Isiah Willis (#29)? Maybe a dumb question but I don't recall seeing the name and he appears to have played pretty well during the scrimmage.

Also, I meant to ask before but who is Isiah Willis (#29)? Maybe a dumb question but I don't recall seeing the name and he appears to have played pretty well during the scrimmage.
Walk on, hence 'new Godhigh'.

GTBJWs alter ego

After reading this thread, I'm sending my season tickets back today via priority overnight.

Jesus. It was a scrimmage. Don't let it ruin the 6 times this year that you get to spend at Grant Field.

After reading this thread, I'm sending my season tickets back today via priority overnight.

Jesus. It was a scrimmage. Don't let it ruin the 6 times this year that you get to spend at Grant Field.

Funny that when the performance is poor, everyone wants to say, "It's just a scrimmage." What do you think we'd be talking about today if one of the AB's had rushed for 150 yards and 3 TD's? We wouldn't be dismissing it as "just a scrimmage," I can promise you that.

Funny that when the performance is poor, everyone wants to say, "It's just a scrimmage." What do you think we'd be talking about today if one of the AB's had rushed for 150 yards and 3 TD's? We wouldn't be dismissing it as "just a scrimmage," I can promise you that.

Actually, you'd be bitching about how Isaiah Johnson can't tackle.

Some would be saying the defense sucks and it's going to be a long season.

Actually, you'd be bitching about how Isaiah Johnson can't tackle.

Some would be saying the defense sucks and it's going to be a long season.

:lol:

Dead on.

Exactly. Because scrimmages DO tell you something. Talent always shows up. Sadly, it was absent on Saturday.

It's a glorified practice with a bunch of players missing time or nursing injuries. I wouldn't read too much into the results.

Exactly. Because scrimmages DO tell you something. Talent always shows up. Sadly, it was absent on Saturday.

The point is, no matter what happens in the scrimmage, whether it's three touchdowns or no touchdowns, we still suck. Amirite? If so, then scrimmages are going to tell you what you want to hear.

The point is, no matter what happens in the scrimmage, whether it's three touchdowns or no touchdowns, we still suck. Amirite? If so, then scrimmages are going to tell you what you want to hear.

I'll grant you a scrimmage is a bad measuring stick for overall team health, but it will tell a lot about individual players. Of course, if guys are mailing it in, then you'll never know, but most don't do that. The effort and talent you see at a public scrimmage is often what you get on a Saturday - especially from the skill positions. Do you recall what people were saying about Hollings coming out of practice? Most of us couldn't believe it, but there were people saying he was the real deal.

I hear next years class in Georgia has much more of the type athlete we are looking for at the positions we need. Don't worry!

Laskey is not a playmaker. It all rests on Thomas. Tech has an offense with three RBs on the field at the same time. Too bad none of them are anything special.

Pretty bad post if you ask me. Laskey may not be a home run threat, but a near 6 ypc average and 7 TDs in 84 carries are nothing to sneeze at. He had nearly as many yards as Vad, in nearly 100 less carries. His per carry average (5.8) was higher than Sims and was the best 60+ carry average for a BB at GT since Dwyer in 2009 (5.9).

Just for reference: Dwyer averaged 7.0 in 2008 and 5.9 in 2009.

Allen averaged 5.5 in 2010.

Lyons averaged 4.6, 4.3, and 6.0 in about 100 career carries over three years.

Sims averaged 5.2 in 2011, 4.5 in 2012, and 5.5 in 2013.

I'll grant you a scrimmage is a bad measuring stick for overall team health, but it will tell a lot about individual players. Of course, if guys are mailing it in, then you'll never know, but most don't do that. The effort and talent you see at a public scrimmage is often what you get on a Saturday - especially from the skill positions. Do you recall what people were saying about Hollings coming out of practice? Most of us couldn't believe it, but there were people saying he was the real deal.

I've seen Synjyn look like God in practice and he hasn't been able to put it together on the field.

The point is "talent" is all relative. If we have a really good defensive line, they could make our run game terrible. If we have bad DBs, they could make our receivers look great. PLUS, you have no idea if our coaches are trying to look at certain things. They may put in guys on the left side of the line to see how they block together, even knowing that the play is likely to get blown up. They will probably be calling the plays we need to work on, not the plays that we run the best.

The point is, its practice. It's about getting better. It's not about doing the things we do best, it's instead about trying to do the things we don't do well better.

That's why things like preseason football in the NFL are completely meaningless. The coaches aren't trying to win the games, they are working out certain players or working on certain things in a live environment. It's a different consideration when teams are trying to win.

BB is not a flashy role in the offense. It's the workhorse. It's all about taking what you can get up the middle, but when 2 yards is what you need, you have to get it. I'd rather have a guy that gets those 2 yards every time, than a guy who can dance for the highlight reel once a week. Laskey is plenty good enough.

Thanks for the information, good to hear that it isn't all bad and we are hopeless.

I feel like we're in the exact same position as we were last year, except our QB isn't riding a wave of internet hype. Since I was never a Vad supporter, I am actually more optimistic this year than last year. Unfortunately, that means 8 wins.

I'm not trying to overreact, but I think it will be difficult to match what we did last year. We had a lot of turnover on defense, which was our big strength last year. We lost nearly all of our defensive linemen and defensive playmakers.

I think we will pick it up on offense, since we can't get much worse at running the option, but we aren't going to have near the changes of possession that we did last year. The sad thing is, if we have a PJ offense from any other year last year we probably end up with 9-10 wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back