Should UGA have been in the playoffs instead of Notre Dame?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m thrilled that UGA did not get into the playoffs. However, to pretend that UGA is not better than Notre Dame, Oklahoma and Ohio State is silly. UGA would be 4-7 point favorites against Oklahoma and Ohio State and 7-10 point favorites against Notre Dame. They would be 10-14 point favorites against UCF.
Eye test

Notre Dame has been recruiting Georgia for 30 years. Long before they got Darius Walker out of Buford, they were getting Adrian Jarrell out of Athens. Wasn't Wes Pritchett, a LB on their last title team (1988 ... two years before Tech's last national championship), from Marist?

You may be correct, but I thought maybe Westminster. IDK

UGA's loss to LSU kept them out of playoff not losing to BAMA. Their playoffs odds went way down after that. Having said that I'm still a surprised they lost the LSU game. Overall the 2018 UGAg team just not quite as good as the 2017 iteration.

Is UGA a better team than Notre Dame and Oklahoma? Probably so. Should they have made the playoffs? No. They have two losses. One was a close one to Bama and the other an ass kicking by LSU. Look at their division - finishing first ahead of UF, USC-E, Vandy, Ky, Tenn & Mizzou is a Pitt like accomplishment. The eye test talk is stupid. If losing two games does not matter because you played Bama so close then three losses do not matter if you beat the Dawgs like a drum. LSU wins the eye test.

Herbstreit is playing everybody. He knew his Buckeyes were not getting in no matter how he argued. So, he figured it would be a good year to advocate for UGA and the eye test over his beloved Buckeyes and Sooners. He would have been a hypocrite to argue for UCF after applauding their exclusion the year before. Tell me, if UCF had lost a game and Oklahoma had lost to Texas, and the obvious number four choice was Ohio State, would Herbie have started the Dawg train rolling?

Last edited:
You may be correct, but I thought maybe Westminster. IDK

I don't remember Pritchett being from Marist. But ND did have guys from Marist on their team throughout the 80s. Also, that stud RB from Woodward in the late 80s. Kenny Spears was his name. Trying to remember some of those Marist guys who went to ND.

Last edited:
Yall who keep saying this have no idea whether it’s true or not. What’s certain is that we know that Bammer is better than UGA. We don’t know if they’re better than OU or ND until the games are played.
So if UGAg was #4, played Bama and lost a close one again, could they lobby for one more do over?

So if UGAg was #4, played Bama and lost a close one again, could they lobby for one more do over?

This was the main problem with the idea of UGA going as I see it. Probably not in this case cause you'd be arguing better than Clemson, but it's an argument along basically similar lines as putting UGA in the playoffs in the first place and an even stronger similar case would be saying the first playoff should of had a rematch of Ohio St and Bama in the final, since most would prolly think they were better than FSU and Oregon.

Notre Dame has been recruiting Georgia for 30 years. Long before they got Darius Walker out of Buford, they were getting Adrian Jarrell out of Athens. Wasn't Wes Pritchett, a LB on their last title team (1988 ... two years before Tech's last national championship), from Marist?

I played NYO (Chastain Park) football with Pritchett. His talent was evident even as a kid. Also, played with Shan Morris (Auburn) - Larry Morris’ son. Don’t know if either even considered Tech.

How funny would it have been had they got in?

Getting stomped by Bama (with a now healthy Tua) again.

Back