Still on board, who's with me?

Yukonwreck

Dodd-Like
He did that in his first 3 games? That's weird. I seem to recall Dabo being hired in the middle of the 2008 season and Venables not being hired until 2012.....after they gave up 70 points to West Virginia in the bowl game and fired Kevin Steele.
Do we have to give up 70 points to Duke before we fire Thacker?

gtrower

Dodd-Like
Still on board of course. You have to give a new coach some leash to implement his plan. And he’s not gonna be able to do that without fan support.

But 3 games in and we’re seeing cracks. We keep hearing “Player Based Scheme” but what we’re seeing is basically no offensive scheme at all. Yes some of that is OL issues. But I fundamentally disagree with some of the decisions CGC is making both in-game and on the depth chart.

- Kicking situation. Changing weekly is simply a dumb way to do it. You returned a guy that hadn’t missed. Ride him. There’s probably 30 P5 teams that would have happily returned Wells over their current kicker.

- QB situation. They’re scripting games for the QB situation based on the number of possessions. That’s something you do if you’re using this season as a throw-away. And they’ve made some weird QB swaps mid-possession. Pick a guy and develop him. Pick another guy for change of pace if we need it during a game.

- Endgame. CGC showed a general lack of knowledge/awareness on that final Citadel drive in regulation. Any way you slice it he managed the last few plays poorly.

These are things that are independent of the offensive scheme change.

daBuzz

Dodd-Like
CPJ never lost to multiple FCS teams as a FBS head coach.

I’ll never get over the fact our used car salesman of a HC has that horrendous black eye.
Yeah but Johnson damn sure did break our continuous bowl games streak that even someone so sucky as Chan Gailey maintained...with one less regular season game per year to hit the needed 6 wins.

GT98

Dodd-Like
PJ won with Gaileys players. Get over it.
And with his own as well--"get over it." Sorry, you can't erase the good he did no matter how butthurt you continue to be.

Let's hope that CGC can get things going on the field and lead GT to future success.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.

rfjeff9

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
Where can I get what you're smoking?

2015 Matt Rhule 10–4 7–1 1st (East) L Boca Raton Bowl
2016 Matt Rhule 10–4 7–1 T–1st (East) L Military Bowl
2017 Geoff Collins 7-6 4–4 3rd (East) W Gasparilla Bowl
2018 Geoff Collins 8-5 7–1 2nd (East) L Independence Bowl

Collins took a 10-win team and turned it into a 7 win team.
That is what concerned me with the hire. I am still nervous about it, but he is our HC. I’m behind him for 3 years and will re-evaluate then.

Allen Koholic

Likes dick drawings.
That is what concerned me with the hire. I am still nervous about it, but he is our HC. I’m behind him for 3 years and will re-evaluate then.
Thankfully, Citadel isn't on the schedule for the next three years, are they? Maybe we can squeak by....

BEEFENSE

Helluva Engineer
My apologies--but--any question about "still being on board" offends me. "On board" implies being on a ship (ie. TECH fandom)--well--I for one have experienced a LOT of stormy weather being on board the GT "ship" and have NEVER considered ABANDONING SHIP. It ain't always smooth sailing being a true Tech fan but past storms came and went and the "ship" sails on.

TampaBayJacket

Dodd-Like
And with his own as well--"get over it." Sorry, you can't erase the good he did no matter how butthurt you continue to be.

Let's hope that CGC can get things going on the field and lead GT to future success.
Great post. Just because a lot of us didnt like the triple option doesnt mean it didnt work for us. He did beat UGA three times (3x!) and go to the ACCG three times. That's a helluva good record any way you look at it. However, it also doesnt erase the fact that the criticisms of committing to the triple option were coming true, too, and change was necessary. I both loved and hated the triple option but once we started competing with the Coastal Carolinas and other lower GoF for recruits, thats when I really got restless with PJ.

Great post. Just because a lot of us didnt like the triple option doesnt mean it didnt work for us. He did beat UGA three times (3x!) and go to the ACCG three times. That's a helluva good record any way you look at it. However, it also doesnt erase the fact that the criticisms of committing to the triple option were coming true, too, and change was necessary. I both loved and hated the triple option but once we started competing with the Coastal Carolinas and other lower GoF for recruits, thats when I really got restless with PJ.
I loved watching the triple option flexbone offense because it reminded me of how football used to be. Unfortunately, it’s not had a charismatic salesman to excite recruits. Can you imagine CPJ’s offense with a backfield like what Auburn, Nebraska, Oklahoma, or SMU (pre-death penalty) had in the 1980s?

goldmember

Damn Good Rat
"Sure, Geoff is a marketer and branding guy, but isn't that the game today? Isn't that Dabo? In any organization you have to set the vision for where you are headed. The vision is that GT is going to become an elite program, and I have no doubt that Geoff is sincere in driving for that."

Dabo is a marketer and branding guy; but beyond that he has surrounded himself with great coordinators. I don't think most here are convinced Geoff has done that.
Dabo has a ton of money to hire and retain those coordinators though.

I'll always be with GT. That's what happens when you graduate from a school. Or at least what ought to. Only thing that might cause me to abandon Tech would be a morally reprehensible scandal of some kind. And even then, I'd come back if we cleaned house and made a commitment to not let whatever that was happen again.

Bad results on the football field are generally temporary. I expect we'll be back. Hopefully sooner rather than later.

Sure, Geoff is a marketer and branding guy, but isn't that the game today? Isn't that Dabo?
There is a thin, thin line between Dabo and Butch Jones. Both are enormous goobers, IMO. The big difference is W/L ratio. I hope Collins can end up on the right side of that in the next couple years.

GT98

Dodd-Like
I agree. Was he trending down the last 2 seasons? Yep. And clearly, he wasn't able to replace the magic of a Justin Thomas. And the recruiting criticisms were fair. However, crapping on his tenure here as if he never had any good seasons w/Chan's or his own players is stupid.

I'm behind CGC and hopes he smashes it here. My concern about CGC and staff was related to gameday coaching. No doubt, he'll recruit better than CPJ did, but I wonder about his ability to out scheme the other coach. In my lifetime, the best GT teams had an offensive mind (Fridge, CPJ) that could out scheme the other coach and cover up weaknesses with similar or less talent than the other team. I don't believe that GT will have a similar talent level to the best teams on the schedule, so I'm hoping that CGC can close the talent gap a bit and can find an offensive coordinator that can do the rest.