Stop Blaming the Previous Coach

BuzzLaw

StinGTalk destroyer
We are blaming CPJ for the roster composition, not the coaching so far.

The defense has shown more life this season in a new scheme than we’ve seen since probably 2008. That with a seriously lacking front 4 and youth all over the place.

The offense is atrocious (as it was for most of 2008 with way more talent). If anyone recalls 2008...we would go for long stretches without moving the ball for öööö...then Dwyer or BeyBey (with their NFL talent) would bust like a 70 yard play. I’m not sure Patenaude has the answers, but this transition on O was always going to be a major uphill climb.

People need to get over themselves and support the program. Enjoy the ride, and appreciate progress towards the end destination...don’t get so fixated on the W-L in 2019. The program needs your support now more than ever.
So, basically, GC is doing more with less on defense, and he’s doing less with more on offense? So just support the team and give him time to get the offense worked out?

Seems reasonable to me

aeromech

Dodd-Like
I didn’t realize that accepting a crap coaching job and öööö losses was “supporting the program”. Thanks for letting me know that wanting to beat FCS schools was being a bad fan.

Take this öööö to the Hive.
To be a good fan you have to criticize every player CPJ recruited apparently. You "support the program"; because "the program" apparently does not include the players.

ElCidBUZZingFAN

Dodd-Like
CGC doesn't have "more" on Offense, have you watched any of our games?
We’re dead last in FBS in PPG at 13.

We have seemingly equal massive talent and depth problems across key positions (DL/LB) on D, unless you want to argue CPJ could surprisingly recruit well enough on D, but that would be a surprising admission.

05GTCorndog

Staff member
We’re dead last in FBS in PPG at 13.

We have seemingly equal massive talent and depth problems across key positions (DL/LB) on D, unless you want to argue CPJ could surprisingly recruit well enough on D, but that would be a surprising admission.
But we haven't had big injury problems on those thin positions. If we were to drop 2 on the DL or at LB we would be in a world of hurt on D too.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Jesus ööööing Christ! I’m tired of seeing this öööö, please go be a fan of a team that runs the triple option.
No. I'm a fan of Georgia Tech, so I want us to win as often as possible. The last guy (and the 2 before him) won more than he lost. The current guy isn't showing any signs of that.

The OP was directed at people who hate the previous coach so irrationally that they belittle the best achievements our program has had in 30 years (OB, ACC title). They insult and belittle unpaid amateur GT student-athletes and one particular asshole repeatedly advocates for kicking them off the team because he thinks they're not good enough.

If any of that applies to you, then please reevaluate your fanhood. "Fans" don't do any of those things.

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd
No. I'm a fan of Georgia Tech, so I want us to win as often as possible. The last guy (and the 2 before him) won more than he lost. The current guy isn't showing any signs of that.

The OP was directed at people who hate the previous coach so irrationally that they belittle the best achievements our program has had in 30 years (OB, ACC title). They insult and belittle unpaid amateur GT student-athletes and one particular asshole repeatedly advocates for kicking them off the team because he thinks they're not good enough.

If any of that applies to you, then please reevaluate your fanhood. "Fans" don't do any of those things.
I'm not the only one on this board that believes in Processing players, thanks to Saban & Meyer this is the way the game is played in 2019

A scholly is no longer a Southern Gentlemen's agreement to make sure someone son gets his degree, I can almost guarantee that any players that GT processed would get a degree from another college debt free and play where they fit in

They are called FB SCHOLLIES, not try real hard schollies, you should be able to play FB at a certain level to keep that scholly, injuries are the exception

Techbert

Dodd-Like
You guys that are blaming PJ sound like people who cry about the President for 4 years, and then when their guy gets elected and is even worse, they still blame the previous guy because they can't process the fact that they were wrong. You went from complaining about games where we scored 30 points but got stopped on a key drive, to trying to justify getting blanked by Temple.

Paul Johnson was a very good coach at GT. Not perfect, but usually good and sometimes great. He almost always had us punching above our weight, at times incredibly so. Those of you who thought he was a problem that we needed to be rid of should be embarrassed, especially after what we've seen so far. It was time for him to go, but saying he drove us to where we are now is absurd. We almost won our division just last season.

That being said, it's still too early to definitively judge Collins. He's obviously a better program salesman than PJ, so if he becomes anywhere near as good of a coach, we'll have some fun football to watch. Until then, we get to watch what happens when we no longer out-scheme our opponents on a weekly basis.
I think, and any fair person would agree, that the best way to stop "blaming" the former coach is if you guys would stop bring him up. And stop blaming a guy with mebbe 10 of his own players running out onto the field, most of which are true freshmen.

Recruiting is going well. The future is bright. We just have to get through the transition.

NotTomNotPhilButGCollins

Banhammer'd
Ban Hammer'd

Ask a Bama, UGA, tOSU, Clemson, Oklahoma, Texas, ND Fan would they rather process players and make the CFP or or not process players and just get a NY6 Bowl

I'm guessing a large percentage would say process away

Also, it is my theory that the players themselves don't mind processing, my guess is that the players want only those guys in that locker room that are all in and give them the best chance to win

CFB is a brutal sport, and when you're not winning it is misery for the players

My guess is those alpha males types would rather cull the herd in order to lessen the chances of being miserable

How else do you explain all the talent that keeps going to places like Bama & tOSU where the chances to play early are slim

GEETEELEE

We suck this much.
Then GT fans need to stop being so thin skinned

GT fans are confused why Recruits didn't respond to our OB season and I'm telling guys why and they're arguing with how the rest of CFB perceived our OB season

Just like last season's Sugar Bowl that UGA lost it meant little to UGAs players but it meant a ton to Texas that hasn't made a CFP

How we see our program is less important than how Recruits see our program

Anyone take time to ask how the 4* & higher Recruits perceived our OB, they didn't become more interested in GT FB after our so called big win in the OB

Every analysis that GT Fans don't like isn't without merit
You, of all people don’t need to be instructing GT Fans how to behave. All you’ve done for the past few coaches and seasons is to belittle, tear down and undermine the program. Shut your ööööing pie hole until you learn what it means to support the program.

johncu

Dodd-Like
I think, and any fair person would agree, that the best way to stop "blaming" the former coach is if you guys would stop bring him up. And stop blaming a guy with mebbe 10 of his own players running out onto the field, most of which are true freshmen.

Recruiting is going well. The future is bright. We just have to get through the transition.
I'm not bringing him up. He's retired. That's why it's so ridiculous to see him being blamed for our current failures.

johncu

Dodd-Like
You're not bringing him up? Wtf are you talking about?!? You mention him in practically every post you make.
Show me a post where I brought him up in a thread where he wasn't being blamed for this season's failures.

Techbert

Dodd-Like
I'm not bringing him up. He's retired. That's why it's so ridiculous to see him being blamed for our current failures.
Plenty of fonts bring him up.

The cupboard is bare. The recruiting class of 2016, which should be the backbone of the team, is gutted. Fact. We have no upper class quarterbacks. Fact. Our offensive line was undermanned before injuries hit it. Fact. Our defensive line, expected to be a weakness before the season, is holding up but like most of the position groups is very thin. Fact. Wide receivers have a deficit in passing game reps. Fact. Tight ends are whoever could be gathered since last year's last days of recruiting. Fact. Quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, and offensive linemen were valued for skill sets not highly relevant anymore. Fact. And so on.

I don't like the above, but that does not make it less true. You may not want to accept the above, but that does not make it less true.

Who is to "blame"? I don't really care, but I am pretty sure it is not the guy who just walked in the door. Pretty darn sure.

But many fans of the retired coach are compelled to assign blame, and they are quick to blame any GT coach not named Johnson. They are viscious of any coach before or after their favorite, and that needs to stop.

johncu

Dodd-Like
Plenty of fonts bring him up.

The cupboard is bare. The recruiting class of 2016, which should be the backbone of the team, is gutted. Fact. We have no upper class quarterbacks. Fact. Our offensive line was undermanned before injuries hit it. Fact. Our defensive line, expected to be a weakness before the season, is holding up but like most of the position groups is very thin. Fact. Wide receivers have a deficit in passing game reps. Fact. Tight ends are whoever could be gathered since last year's last days of recruiting. Fact. Quarterbacks, running backs, receivers, and offensive linemen were valued for skill sets not highly relevant anymore. Fact. And so on.

I don't like the above, but that does not make it less true. You may not want to accept the above, but that does not make it less true.

Who is to "blame"? I don't really care, but I am pretty sure it is not the guy who just walked in the door. Pretty darn sure.

But many fans of the retired coach are compelled to assign blame, and they are quick to blame any GT coach not named Johnson. They are viscious of any coach before or after their favorite, and that needs to stop.
Those fans are still bitter about the fact that Johnson was never accepted by a segment of fans and former players. I understand the frustration, but Johnson is gone and they need to let it go.

That being said, the cupboard is not bare in comparison to Temple, USF, and Citadel. That's the thing. We're not getting edged out by ACC teams who have more experienced QBs making big plays in crunch time. We're getting completely stuffed by teams full of 2 star players.

The transition this year was going to be tough, and the OL injuries made it tougher. But it shouldn't be THIS bad.