Take Steps Now to Keep Tenuta!!

Father WASP

Flats Noob
I'm hoping someone in positions of authority at GTAA share my appreciation for the work that Tenuta did this year with the defense. As far as I'm concerned, he took an undersized front and some average DB's and molded them into a tough defense. Fundamentally, this team started tackling and looked better than anything I've seen in a decade.

I think it would be somewhat of a shock to everyone that if after the winter O'Brien were still here. My recommendation then is if he were to leave, walk down the hall, give the "asst. head coach" title to Tenuta, give him a hugre raise ala Friedgen and say "Job Well done", we want you at Georgia Tech.

Anyone have any scoop? We need to keep him!

Father, I agree. Tenuta has done a great job, and we need to do anything necessary to keep him. Wake seems to have figured out how to exploit the quick pursuit of his defenses, but he will take care of that before next years game.

Padre: I agree with you. If feels good to have confindence in your DC and know that he is never at sleep at the wheel, but always looking for ways to adjust. He may not hit it 1000% but he sure does not seem the type to stay static. I visualiz continued improvement under him, and hope that it shall be.

Well, I guess I will have to be the odd ball on this subject. Although, Tech looked good in many games under Tenuta, they looked horrible in others. The tackling was attrocious in many games.

I have not seen the consistency in pass defense to be a good defensive team. We are still playing the pass to loosely, especially on third down.

The team was better defensively this year than last year, but still has major problems. I will be watching closely this year to see if it corrects the problems we had this past year.

Frankly, it Tenuta decided to accept a pro offer after the season, I would not be too upset. I am still convinced Spencer could do the job. Not condemning Tenuta, nor calling for his head, but I do have a few doubts.

wink.gif

ahsoisee, if Tenuta were to leave I seriously doubt Spencer would get the DC spot. I would expect Chan to find somebody with some credentials as a Div 1 or pro DC if he could.

NCJacket, you may be right. My thought is more wishful thinking than anything, however, I am going to bring his bio back up. I have to go search for it, be back later.

wink.gif

I hadn't looked at Spencer's bio in a while and it's more impressive than I remember. I wouldn't have any trouble with Chan selecting him if the opening came up, I just would be surprised if he didn't go for someone more established. But then again, as you said in the other post Chan could be very high on Glenn and think he is ready.

Originally posted by ahsoisee:
Well, I guess I will have to be the odd ball on this subject. Although, Tech looked good in many games under Tenuta, they looked horrible in others. The tackling was attrocious in many games.

I have not seen the consistency defense to be a good defensive team. We are still playing the pass to loosely, especially on third down.

The team was better defensively this year than last year, but still has major problems. I will be watching closely this year to see if
corrects the problems we had this past year.

Frankly, it Tenuta decided to accept a pro offer after the season, I would not be too upset. I am still convinced Spencer could do the job. Not condemning Tenuta, nor calling for his head, but I do have a few doubts.

wink.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">i could not disagree more. tenuta did the best job of coaching we have seen since ralph left. he inherits a d-line that did not put alot of consistent pressure on the qb in 2001. take away gathers and rogers, 2 fr. 2 so. starters, malone the only starter weighing more than 265. improved as the year went (spencer gets alot of this credit as well)

now throw in a secondary that could not match up with speed, especially in the slot. (wake/grobe proved this one)

and as far as the bad tackling goes, the same guys who missed them this year were the same guys who missed them in 2001....and 2000...

all things considered, he did an outstanding job

Ahsoisee, I saw the same thing and posted earlier in the year about the loose play of the DB's in the first several games - but after that they were pulled up - they made the adjustments. As for the tackling, it improved dramatically, the later games saw Tech defenders finally moving people toward their goal vs. getting dragged along.

The Georgia game was the exception - I'm with you there - we reverted back to ride em cowboy and get out of the way.

What I like about Tenuta is he seems to share my enthusiasm for doing SOMETHING to try to stop the opponent other than just sitting back under a "bend but don't break" philosophy. When this guy gets a larger front and some more athletic DB's we are going to be tough.

Until the UGA game, I thought he did a good job with our D. The UGA game through me for a loop. But I've written that off as a once-in-a-lifetime bad day for everyone...offense, defense, special teams, coaches. Absolutely no one played well that day except the guys with red shirts. To me, the bottom line is that the defense improved this year over last year. I hope Tenuta stays around and makes even more improvements, especially in the consistency department.

A defense will NEVER be good if we keep switching coaches. We need someone to stay for a few years to implement their system so we can get kids who grow up in the system and understand it. I think Tenuta is a good enough coach to give that chance to. Roof had the opportunity; and frankly didn't have the talent but still did ok in his two years as DC. I also believe had roof stayed for another two years; we would be great in the front 7 but still lacking in the secondary scheme. This is where Tenuta helps and why it is necessary for him to stay a few years before we judge him. But all in all I think he has got great potential.

Out of all aspects of the game the defense was both the most consistent AND the most improved... for the first time in years we had a defense that put the team in position to win... the WF game coaches self admittedly were out coached... Maryland I think the 'D' just got tired of standing up repeatedly after 'O' mistakes... UGA game (still shaking my head... more to it than X's & O's)
Were there areas in the defense that were not strong??? YES... but in response did the defense take a step back from previous seasons??? NO... the defense as I said before was much improved over the past 4-5 seasons and I for one give Coach Tenuta the majority of the credit for TECH having a 7-5 season instead 5-7... he should be rewarded however possible...

I agree Tenuta needs to be offered an opportunity to stay, if Gailey wants him (head coach should pick his staff and not have any forced on him).

Having said that, I think they look good only because they are standing next to the offensive unit....

pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif

Originally posted by 71Bee:

Having said that, I think they look good only because they are standing next to the offensive unit....

pat.gif
pat.gif
pat.gif
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You must have missed a few GT games this year. Defense was the reason that we beat UNC/UVA/NCSU and played FSU tough. Outside of the obvious (2nd half Maryland/Ugag game--team issues, not just defense), the defense had the team in a position to win every game; the offense did not execute late in games or very consistently at all. Tenuta did a good job of working w/what he had--an undersized d-line. It should be a major priority to ensure that he is here next year.

GT98,

We just have a different opinion of "looking good".

As an old school buddy once said, if you never cull any, you always get lucky on Saturday night.......
wink.gif

Originally posted by beeware:
This defense was a very inconsistent defense. At times they looked great and at other times they looked terrible. Wake, Ugag, and the second half of Maryland games were terrible.
This defense is getting a lot of praise on here, but if Roof had been back this year and had done exactly the same job that Tenuta did, I doubt he would be getting all this praise.
Why did Roof get so much grief over the Virginia and Clemson games last year but Tenuta gets a pass on the Ugag and Maryland games?
Apparently it is just whatever lense is in your glasses.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Actually, the whole team deserves the admonishment for the 2nd half of the Maryland and the Ugag games. Roof caught grief because of his lack of adjustments in game. Tenuta did adjust. A friend knows Bill Musgrave (UVA's offensive coordinator) and he gave us good seats for the UVA game last year. After the game, he told us that he knew the offense would get rolling because Roof never adjusted. The blitz package was the same and the same people always came. Musgrave adjusted the blocking scheme and Spinner looked like Joe Montana in the second half, doing whatever he wanted. Complete defensive collapse on our part, mostly falling on the coaching.

I really liked Roof as a player, but he has yet to show the ability to adjust in game. Our defense last year typically started the game w/a good gameplan, but 2nd half adjustments were never made and the defense generally looked clueless as to whatever different the offense did. Without adjustments, I think that we lose to BYU/UNC/NCSU this year.

Again, the defense was not perfect nor outstanding. They were however, much improved over last year, without the same talent level (ie. one defensive end, Rogers now in the NFL and another all-american in Gathers not playing). Given our defecencies (sp)on the d-line, I thought that the defense played well. Hopefully, the d-line will get stronger in the offseason and continue to improve--I like the younger players like Parker, Henderson, et. al. and think that once they have more size on them, our d-line can be very good.

beeware is going to bash current coaches unless they were from the other staff. He's going to praise the last coaching staff. Just about everything he post is slanted that way. He by no mean in my opinion a supporter of Georgia Tech football. He might could change my mind on this, but it will not be an easy task.

I think it is reasonable to view MD and UGA as total team collapses, rather than just focusing on Tenuta. This is not the same as giving him a "pass". It just recognizes the fact that there were more problems in those games besides the defense.

As stated above, Tenuta does make adjustments in games...something that GOL/Roof could never accomplish.

There are still alot of issues to deal with on this team. Consistency is one of them. The entire team was up and down all year. You could blame that on Gailey, and you wouldn't get much argument from me. However, first year coaches often have that problem when they inherit a team. Let's see what happens next year.

I don't think that there any doubt the D did better.But what I don't know if they did it on the natural evolving of the players and maturation.We had a lot of upperclassmen so I would expect with that experience,there would be decent play and there was generally.
We will never know how we might have been with a well (and ready) Gathers.
The Ga game needs to be addressed.The game plan was based on the Def doing their normal job.They didn't and tenuta has to be dinged.
Overall an 8 on a 10 scale without Gathers.

It is easy to say that the defense was better but the stats don't seem to confirm it.

2002 versus 2001 defensive stats:

Scoring allowed per game....19.8 versus 22.2...slightly better this year.

Average rushing yardage allowed per game....130.3 versus 117.1....slightly worse this year.

Average passing yardage allowed per game....223.8 versus 216.2....slightly worse this year.

Total offense allowed per game.....354.2 versus 333.3...slightly worse this year.

Sorry, but I just don't see the improvement. This was a more experienced defense this year. We played without Gathers this year, but played without a healthy Daryl Smith last year. Last year we held 4 major opponents to 1 offensive TD...Syracuse, Maryland, Ugag, and Stanford.

Like I said earlier, if Roof had coached this defense exactly like Tenuta, he wouldn't be getting all this praise that Tenuta is getting... but statistically has not earned.

It all depends on how thick the tint is on the glasses apparently.

Back