Texas A&M too SEC ?

Once again you miss the TV and recruiting issues.

I think you are so aggro into disliking me and telling me I'm wrong you missed the point of my post. It wasn't a thesis on the issue, my point was there aren't a whole lot of good expansion candidates in the southeast and that Clemson is better than most.

EDIT: Some of you are so gung-ho on Clemson adding nothing, you don't look at the other side of the coin - who are the candidates who are better than Clemson? I agree with the general consensus that FSU and A&M are the best choices. WV? Their population is less than half of SCs and they aren't too close to any other schools aside from Kentucky (kinda). Miami? Missou? Louisville? I'm not sure I'd agree that Clemson is a worse add than those schools. Maybe the SEC doesn't go to 16, but if it does I don't see a lot of candidates for team #15 and 16 that are substantially better than Clemson.

A lot of people seem to dismiss DRad's SEC connections from LSU. Maybe there's a lot going on behind closed doors that he is privy to because of those connections. I'd hope he's well prepared for what's coming in the not too distant future, whether that be ACC, SEC bound, or Big Integer bound.

GT to the SEC does nothing but add a security blanket for the TV market to ensure our eyes are still watching SEC football on CBS. The Big Integer could do a lot to cause a fraction in the market but I wonder how much of a difference it would make if we went to the Big Integer. The alumni would obviously buy into the network but I don't see traditional southerners turning their sets from the SEC games to the Big Integer games.

...and don't ask me how they get over 100%, I don't know...

The stadium's capacity is based on permanent seating. By using temporary seating or standing room only tickets teams can get over 100%.

I'm not buying the F$U/Clemson/Missouri reports. I think it may be aimed at Oklahoma.

If it doesn't work, I'm watching the F$U situation. Their boards are funny - they're salivating at the thought of getting away from Swofford and the NC mafia.

Tech, Clemson, and F$U are going to be opposed by ugag, USCe, and Florida respectively. Why give away one of their biggest recruiting advantages to their most hated rival - for nothing?

I'm not buying the F$U/Clemson/Missouri reports. I think it may be aimed at Oklahoma.

If it doesn't work, I'm watching the F$U situation. Their boards are funny - they're salivating at the thought of getting away from Swofford and the NC mafia.

Tech, Clemson, and F$U are going to be opposed by ugag, USCe, and Florida respectively. Why give away one of their biggest recruiting advantages to their most hated rival - for nothing?
The bolded comments sum up what I'm thinking as well.
(Plus ESPN has reported that Mizzou denies interest in the SEC)

Because of a threat that the Big Ten could step in. There is a huge Big Ten presence in Atlanta.

Because of a threat that the Big Ten could step in. There is a huge Big Ten presence in Atlanta.
I don't believe the SEC is interested in a defensive maneuver any more.

That huge BigTen presence is one of the things I'm hoping gets us an invitation to the BigTen. If not, looking beyond I see a very dark and cold place...

There's no timeline for the BigTen to react, unless the Pac12 makes a move and the SEC continues on to 16. If the SEC stops at 14, this may settle down again until the next round. It's kind of like earthquakes, which is the Big One and which are the fore-and-after shocks.

I don't believe the SEC is interested in a defensive maneuver any more.

That huge BigTen presence is one of the things I'm hoping gets us an invitation to the BigTen. If not, looking beyond I see a very dark and cold place...

There's no timeline for the BigTen to react, unless the Pac12 makes a move and the SEC continues on to 16. If the SEC stops at 14, this may settle down again until the next round. It's kind of like earthquakes, which is the Big One and which are the fore-and-after shocks.
The issue is more of whether Ugag feels there needs to be a defensive maneuver. Between them, AL and Auburn they think they own GA from a recruiting standpoint. Would they really want OSU, Michigan, Iowa, etc., with regular games in ATL if the Big 10 did come calling?

GT to the SEC does nothing but add a security blanket for the TV market to ensure our eyes are still watching SEC football on CBS. The Big Integer could do a lot to cause a fraction in the market but I wonder how much of a difference it would make if we went to the Big Integer. The alumni would obviously buy into the network but I don't see traditional southerners turning their sets from the SEC games to the Big Integer games.

That doesn't matter in the short run. All that matters is the subscribers that have it in their plan. It's $.07/subscriber/month out of footprint and $.80/subscriber/month in footprint. There are a LOT of Big Ten alumni in the ATL market, and the BTN is on plans down here already. If ATL becomes a footprint market, they increase revenue 11.5-fold.

And legal jacket, I don't dislike you at all. Not sure where you got that from. I think we're better than Clemson for several reasons, and I think Oklahoma, OSU and Texas are better than us.

That doesn't matter in the short run. All that matters is the subscribers that have it in their plan. It's $.07/subscriber/month out of footprint and $.80/subscriber/month in footprint. There are a LOT of Big Ten alumni in the ATL market, and the BTN is on plans down here already. If ATL becomes a footprint market, they increase revenue 11.5-fold.

And legal jacket, I don't dislike you at all. Not sure where you got that from. I think we're better than Clemson for several reasons, and I think Oklahoma, OSU and Texas are better than us.

Yeah the sweetheart deal is Oklahoma, OSU, Texas, and A&M. I think the SEC would take that in a heartbeat w/ Texas, A&M, OSU, OU joining LSU, Ark, MSU, Miss in the West and Bama, Auburn moving over to the current east. Guess you could also do 4 team divisions.

Do you think the SEC would stand pat at 14 with FSU/A&M?

See the other thread, BTN is only 51% owned by the Big Ten and 60% of their revenue is from ads. Also, there is no guarantee that the BTN is on the basic packages given that the vast majority of Georgians aren't GT fans. It's not the windfall that you think and there are other markets more attractive like DC.

Guys... Delaney has openly stated that they are looking for larger TV markets to move into south of their current footprint. It's been quoted. This is all driven by the expansion of the BTN. Atlanta is one of the footprints he's alluded to. Texas is another and DC is another. There is a reason that UT, GT and UMD keep coming up in these conversations. We can debate the relative merits of their business plan, but the plan is what it is, as far as we know.

Guys... Delaney has openly stated that they are looking for larger TV markets to move into south of their current footprint. It's been quoted. This is all driven by the expansion of the BTN. Atlanta is one of the footprints he's alluded to. Texas is another and DC is another. There is a reason that UT, GT and UMD keep coming up in these conversations. We can debate the relative merits of their business plan, but the plan is what it is, as far as we know.
Well put.

I remember the quote also. Big TV market, looking south, and someone threw in the AAU thing although that isn't a codified requirement.

And the BTN is arleady on a lot of basic and HD plans like U-verse, and if Tech manages to get into the BigTen, consumer pressure would increase that too. There is a massive BigTen alumni presence here. The BigTen's model is about households, not eyeballs like the SEC.

It's not the fans deciding, and the people deciding are not posting on any damn message boards.

I get that, I'm just saying that for all the "B1G would be stupid to not invite GT" talk on here, most websites looking at potential Big 10 targets have been ignoring GT. I agree with the logic that GT would have to be in a Big 10 expansion conversation, but I don't think GT is as obvious a choice as some on here want to believe.

I get that, I'm just saying that for all the "B1G would be stupid to not invite GT" talk on here, most websites looking at potential Big 10 targets have been ignoring GT. I agree with the logic that GT would have to be in a Big 10 expansion conversation, but I don't think GT is as obvious a choice as some on here want to believe.

See my post on The Big Ten, AAU, and TV Markets.

See my post on The Big Ten, AAU, and TV Markets.

And I think that is what is going on behind the scenes. This is not about what the fans want to see, this is about how revenue can be maximized.

Since we are one of only two major DIA programs in the state they have to take us to maximize profits in the state. UGA is not leaving the SEC. Our top shelf academics make it that much more appealing to the decision makers. Hell, I would not be surprised if the Pac 10 put an offer to us as well.

Back