The BYU game

BYU has, historically, been better than its conference affiliations. Its a shame that they never have an opportunity at a BCS bowl.

It has been a while though since I've seen a really good BYU team. You can't say too much for the recent Cougar team that won 13 or 14 games only to get crushed by Hawaii.

All in all, it is a good matchup and a must win for both teams. IMO, GT has a great shot at this one.

Let's run down the 'ol record vs. southern teams.

Your record against:
Alabama 0-1
Arkansas State 1-0
FSU 0-2
Georgia 0-1
Georgia Tech 0-1
Louisville 0-1
Louisana Monroe 1-0
Miami 1-1
MSU 1-1
Virginia 1-2

4-10 ain't too good against southern schools - and that's giving you Louisana Monroe and Arkansas State, two teams usually scheduled for an SEC homecoming game (otherwise 2-10). Mississippi State ain't exactly giant killers. They seemed to be breathing fine when they whipped you 44-28 in that thin air that us southern teams have so much trouble breathing in.

And since when is a 38-35 OT victory over Virginia in 2000 considered a cakewalk? By the way, we beat them 35-0 that year.

One more point (nothing to do with this guys smack)

Playing at high altitude --> and its conditioning has nothing to do with conditioning in heat and humidity.

The altitude factor has everything to do with the blood cells ability to carry oxygen..Tech players would not have had enough time @ BYU for their bodies to have adjusted --> This, IMO gives a big advantage to BYU...

not really taliking smack merely responding to GT posters. I have apologized for starting the smack and have stopped (doesn't include responses to smack). I am on this board because you are on our schedule this year and I am interested in the flavor of your team and fans. No ill will is intended.

yes altitude is an advantage. If the game is close in the third quarter the remainder of te game heavily favors BYU. In fact playing in Laramie is tough for us (and everyone else) even though we live at 4500 ft, they are at 6000 and it makes a difference. Dont even think about taking a basketball team to Laramie.

"How did you do on the west coast last year".....Thats pretty good smack IMO...

Anyway, I do agree on the altitude thing - and with Tech's lack of depth, I predict the 3rd/4th quarter will favor BYU --> especially when passing against the Tech secondary (with them getting winded/tired late in the game)

Well 4549' does not even classify as high on the altitude list. There are a copule ofthings that lend themselves to acclimating to altitude faster which are mild excercise and Diamox.

Maybe we should stock up on the Diamox.

Then again MISS ST seemed to handle the altitude pretty well a few years back.

Originally posted by byublue:
The VA game was a cakewalk. That was there opening game in their new stadium. The VA team jumped to a 21 -0 lead first half. Our players said that the first half they were talking all kinds of smack the entire time but they were conditioned like a bunch of baby momas boys. The third quarter they got tired and stopped talking and quit. Our players knew they would win the game after the first minute of the third quarter. VA had no grit- could never play a national schedule and win. Playing close to home all the time is a lot different than traveling all over the country. How did you do on the west coast last year?
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">So 35-0 would be like taking the cake, putting a few bricks in it, and slamming it into Virginia.

By the way, I LIKE smack talk. Makes things interesting. If we beat y'all, I'll be posting all day. If we lose I go into mourning. Don't worry about me though. I'd never do anything desperate, bordering on lunacy, like becoming a UGetanA fan.

Originally posted by byublue:
you actually bring up an excellent point. If BYU can be picked to finish so low in the MWC and the ACC is so superior why would Tech have a problem with BYU? Many on this board say it will be a good game or "think we can run with BYU". This shouldn't be: it should be a blow out by Tech. On the other hand BYU fans expect a win even though they know they are weaker than normalbecause GT is no better than BYU and they know it. Facts are the MWC is much stronger than you realize.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I agree that the MWC is much stronger than most easterners realize. However, GT was picked 8th out of the 9 team ACC. In the USA Today poll, the ACC has 4 teams ranked in the top 17. The 'new' ACC has 6 teams ranked in the top 17.
As best that I can tell the MWC has zero.

The VA game was a cakewalk. That was there opening game in their new stadium. The VA team jumped to a 21 -0 lead first half. Our players said that the first half they were talking all kinds of smack the entire time but they were conditioned like a bunch of baby momas boys. The third quarter they got tired and stopped talking and quit. Our players knew they would win the game after the first minute of the third quarter. VA had no grit- could never play a national schedule and win. Playing close to home all the time is a lot different than traveling all over the country. How did you do on the west coast last year?

Back