The Case for Thacker

athensjacket

Varsity Lurker
It’s cause games become lopsided in the first quarter
Games were lopsided early last year and the team didn't quit. It was the team's most admirable trait of 2019.
The opposite of that attitude has become the teams' most troubling trait of 2020.

BrentwoodJacket

Dodd-Like
The coaching staff has been fairly honest in describing that last year and this year would be written off in favor of developing for the future. Perhaps that is what is going on. We are not going to worry about W's and L's until next year. The present is for development.
If that is the case, why are we playing so many seniors?

knoxjacket

Dodd-Like
If that is the case, why are we playing so many seniors?
the only thing I can think of is these guys don’t want to bench seniors in their final season, but that fact of the matter is if we are going to move forward we need to stop giving a crap about feelings.

play for 2021.

GTLiebs

Dodd-Like
the only thing I can think of is these guys don’t want to bench seniors in their final season, but that fact of the matter is if we are going to move forward we need to stop giving a crap about feelings.

play for 2021.
Another possibility is the coaches took the stance that the currently better players play rather than playing someone not as good yet to get them experience. Or could also be that, with the other threads talkin about dissatisfaction among the Johnson player alumni and possibly among the current Johnson recruits, may be doing it to avoid possibly loosing that part of the team.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
The thing I worry about the secondary is if they aren't listening to the coaches or have given up on trying. Seeing the past few games and hearing from the post-game last week that they aren't really sticking to their assignments (what I remember, but could of gotten it wrong), not really sure whats going on back there.
They don't trust the other members of the defense.

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
The coaching staff has been fairly honest in describing that last year and this year would be written off in favor of developing for the future. Perhaps that is what is going on. We are not going to worry about W's and L's until next year. The present is for development.
But they're not playing the young guys they recruited.

Walton

Damn Good Rat
On playing young players. There is a huge difference between the Gibbs type player and most of the recruits. Most are not ready to start from day one. They need time to develop and learn to play at this level. You see this at all teams; their best players are 3rd/4th year guys plus a coupe of young studs.

UGA has a freshman QB rated about like Sims; even though they don’t have a good choice, they haven’t even thought about playing him this year. Sims shouldn’t be playing but he is the best we got.

Plenty of NFL type players sit on the bench at most schools for 1 season or at least play limited snaps.

The timing of the DL injuries might have been especially harmful coming very late in camp.

bonham

Dodd-Like
Did you guys see Curry completely whiff on a third down sack? See him constantly take bad angles and get beat on routine tackles that a regular LB would make?. That he is the supposed leader of the defense tells you all you need to know about the talent level.

We need DL and LB's. Kirby Smart couldn't do anything with this bunch.

ThisIsAtlanta

Break In Case Of Emergency
Staff member
Did you guys see Curry completely whiff on a third down sack? See him constantly take bad angles and get beat on routine tackles that a regular LB would make?. That he is the supposed leader of the defense tells you all you need to know about the talent level.

Kirby smart can't do much with his own bunch either...

Walton

Damn Good Rat

I still think Curry is one of our better defenders but maybe that is too hard to consider for most. He is in there because he is a leader and is in the right position most of the time and more than anyone that could replace him.

Now, I also think if GT has a good defense in a year or two, then the LB positions will be better than it currently is.

TechAKnee

Flats Noob
I still think Curry is one of our better defenders but maybe that is too hard to consider for most. He is in there because he is a leader and is in the right position most of the time and more than anyone that could replace him.

Now, I also think if GT has a good defense in a year or two, then the LB positions will be better than it currently is.
I understand where you are coming from but it doesn’t matter if you are in the right spot 100% of the time if you rarely make the play.

midatlantech

Dodd-Like
Curry’s problem is turning his head in coverage (why qb’s can run up the gut for 70 yards in one game) and simply too slow on the outside.
What happened to our LBers of the past? Maybe we should play the 4-3 and bring back C. Thomas?

LongforDodd

Dodd-Like
With the greatest transition in football on offense, people tend to forget the transition that’s needs to happen on defense. We need an infusion of talent on the front 7 fast. Too many guys who have been playing 3 + years are making the same mistakes when they first arrived in the flats
Doesn't the line play on the run defense seem to be decent, at least? The back seven don't help much at all but the line play seems to be the best part of our D.

WracerX

Dr. Dunkingstein
We were leaving the middle wide open. There wasn’t a talent differential, there was a mismatch in scheme. Maybe the scheme needs more speed. We’ll see when we get another recruiting class. We’ve got another two years of head scratchers.

79tech

Damn Good Rat
No gap responsibility being done. no secondary responsibility being followed - it's pretty ugly and an AD may need to step in and say something. Like we need a new coordinator. The o coordinator is making progress thankfully