The fake punt

justafan

college sports doomer
After the controversial fake field goal against Clemson years ago where we had a guy (Demaryius Thomas?) pretend to run off the field but actually line up next to the sideline, Paul Johnson mentioned that usually before the game the refs will come and ask you if you have any trick plays you're going to run, and so they had been made aware of the play. That way the refs can be prepared for trick plays, I guess. I wonder if they still do that. If so, it's extra inexcusable that they'd miss a blatant hold on the only player on that play where holding matters.

Would love to know how the game would've turned out if we hadn't gotten screwed there.

I don’t blame the officials for last night in the least because that was really the only egregious call I witnessed all evening.

Naturally it didn’t go our way.

When the flags started coming (late) they were all in our favor - that one series with the hold and the false start before the sack gave us some hope of getting back into the game before the defense collapsed.

The fake punt was weird, because it was so telegraphed. I was like “there’s only one protector lined up back there, this is probably a fake.” I don’t fault the decision really - it could have worked.

The only things that really annoyed me were the “chain malfunctions” (three times, always when we were driving) and the Ole Miss player flopping after a late score to give them time to review and reverse the call. But we ended up walking in on the next play, so no harm done.

JRjr

The fake punt was extremely telegraphed. Even the commentators mentioned "whoa, that's an unusual formation". Everyone was on high alert for something unusual to happen and it did. I would think if you want to run a fake, you should line up as normal so the other team is caught unawares? Definitely did not like this move, even if the refs had properly called the defensive holding.

The fake punt was extremely telegraphed. Even the commentators mentioned "whoa, that's an unusual formation". Everyone was on high alert for something unusual to happen and it did. I would think if you want to run a fake, you should line up as normal so the other team is caught unawares? Definitely did not like this move, even if the refs had properly called the defensive holding.
The fake didn't work because of a hold. All that would have been needed was the catch and turn. When the defender knew he was had, he grabbed our player.

It's not like our punter could actually kick the ball at that point.

It is amazing how the only kick we seem to be good at is kickoffs.

To be fair to Shanahan, he was the holder on the blocked FG and got hurt in the scramble to fall on the ball. He was helped off the field holding his back or hip and worked on in the tent a couple of times. He was limping and holding his hip on the sideline. I’m frankly surprised we didn’t put in a backup, honestly.

JRjr

To be fair to Shanahan, he was the holder on the blocked FG and got hurt in the scramble to fall on the ball. He was helped off the field holding his back or hip and worked on in the tent a couple of times. He was limping and holding his hip on the sideline. I’m frankly surprised we didn’t put in a backup, honestly.

JRjr
He still is an "OK" kicker healthy. Takes too many steps sometimes, rugby kicking or regular punt. Doesn't get a lot of coverage air. Can't remember the game, but we have line drived punts to the returner.

I thought it was cool, Everybody knew something weird was going to happen but the formation was so f‘d up that it actually worked, should have been a first down either way if the ref had called the blatant penalty

We did use the backup punter late. Short kick but it rolled ok

David was hurt bad. He tried one punt after the injury and shanked it.

He has only punted normal this year and had a very good game against UofL. Didn’t punt against SCST and only had the one against OM. I expect we are done with Rugby style.

The two picked up and waved off flags seemed pretty bad and impactful, as well.
Yeah and the stupid SEC announcers had the audacity to say both players were guilty on the PI but after replaying they pretty much shut the hell up because they knew it was obviously interference on the Ole Miss DB.

I didn't love the call that backed up and within two scores, but with the defense playing like hot garbage I understand the need for a momentum change. Should have gotten the penalty and Key would have looked like a rambling gambling genius.

Not only the penalties, but did everybody conveniently forget about the "chain malfunctions?" Only happened when we had the ball driving after big chunk plays and we tried to go tempo:

1st time - big completion over the middle to Leonard down to their 37. Hurry to the line... *Chain Malfunction* Takes a while to fix, it looks like it just came unclipped from the stick after looking at the TV replay... how hard is it to hook it back? They act like they don't know what's wrong or how to fix it. After their lengthy breather, OM gets pressure on 1st down but we still almost complete the long TD to Boyd. Next play they get a stop in the backfield. Next play Haynes converts a 3rd and 12. Then right after busts off another 9 yard run. Which leads to...

2nd time - Hurry up to the line and rush for 2 yards to pick up the 1st down, back to the line going tempo... *Chain Malfunction* This time, when they show the guys on the sideline, there is nothing apparent that is wrong with the chains. The guy is pulling on it like it's not connected or something but it is. It doesn't appear kinked, in a bind or anything, but again another break. Let's break out the backup set... oh it's all tangled up... :bfd: . After that they stop a run, pass incomplete OOB, then on 3rd down Walton levels Rutherford in the back right as he catches it. Every other time I've seen that type of play it gets called unnecessary roughness, hit on a defenseless player. Either way, forced to kick the FG. We had them reeling twice on that drive helped out by "chains" and had to settle for a FG.

3rd time - come out to start 3rd quarter. On 3rd and 4, King scrambles out of the backfield for a big gainer across the 40. Team hurries to line to go tempo... *Chain Malfunction* Even Key is questioning the officials at this point. OM regroup, next play tackled in backfield 4 yard loss. Pressured on 2nd down, had to throw away, pressured on 3rd down and sacked. Forced to punt.

I wonder if they pull that nonsense on SEC opponents or do they save that for OOC games?

Not only the penalties, but did everybody conveniently forget about the "chain malfunctions?" Only happened when we had the ball driving after big chunk plays and we tried to go tempo:

1st time - big completion over the middle to Leonard down to their 37. Hurry to the line... *Chain Malfunction* Takes a while to fix, it looks like it just came unclipped from the stick after looking at the TV replay... how hard is it to hook it back? They act like they don't know what's wrong or how to fix it. After their lengthy breather, OM gets pressure on 1st down but we still almost complete the long TD to Boyd. Next play they get a stop in the backfield. Next play Haynes converts a 3rd and 12. Then right after busts off another 9 yard run. Which leads to...

2nd time - Hurry up to the line and rush for 2 yards to pick up the 1st down, back to the line going tempo... *Chain Malfunction* This time, when they show the guys on the sideline, there is nothing apparent that is wrong with the chains. The guy is pulling on it like it's not connected or something but it is. It doesn't appear kinked, in a bind or anything, but again another break. Let's break out the backup set... oh it's all tangled up... :bfd: . After that they stop a run, pass incomplete OOB, then on 3rd down Walton levels Rutherford in the back right as he catches it. Every other time I've seen that type of play it gets called unnecessary roughness, hit on a defenseless player. Either way, forced to kick the FG. We had them reeling twice on that drive helped out by "chains" and had to settle for a FG.

3rd time - come out to start 3rd quarter. On 3rd and 4, King scrambles out of the backfield for a big gainer across the 40. Team hurries to line to go tempo... *Chain Malfunction* Even Key is questioning the officials at this point. OM regroup, next play tackled in backfield 4 yard loss. Pressured on 2nd down, had to throw away, pressured on 3rd down and sacked. Forced to punt.
Coach Key had a big no comment about the chain breaks. Was amazing it only happened after WE got a big play. Obviously, we like to hurry up after a big play.....whoops, chain malfunction.

Back