The fake punt

When the flags started coming (late) they were all in our favor - that one series with the hold and the false start before the sack gave us some hope of getting back into the game before the defense collapsed.

The fake punt was weird, because it was so telegraphed. I was like “there’s only one protector lined up back there, this is probably a fake.” I don’t fault the decision really - it could have worked.

The only things that really annoyed me were the “chain malfunctions” (three times, always when we were driving) and the Ole Miss player flopping after a late score to give them time to review and reverse the call. But we ended up walking in on the next play, so no harm done.

JRjr
The SEC offices in conjunction with the likes of Paul Finebaum and the ghosts of Bear Bryant, Vince Dooley, Shug Jordan, etc al put on weekly Zoom meeting 'clinics' that explain when and how to perform these mysterious occurrences during live game action. It is especially important to master the art of these momentum shifting techniques when playing out of conference games in order to maintain an 'heir of superiority' on the college sports landscape. @itaintcheatingifyoudontgetcaught

We did use the backup punter late. Short kick but it rolled ok

David was hurt bad. He tried one punt after the injury and shanked it.

He has only punted normal this year and had a very good game against UofL. Didn’t punt against SCST and only had the one against OM. I expect we are done with Rugby style.
It's too bad because there are many schools now that use it.

PJ's fake FG-TD pass vs Clemson is the last trick play we've pulled IIRC. Lotta debacle since then.

I don’t blame the officials for last night in the least because that was really the only egregious call I witnessed all evening.

Naturally it didn’t go our way.
There were several bad calls against us. Even the SEC Network commentators made that comment.

We didn’t lose because of it.

Also it seems like holding ought to be reviewable by challenge in certain circumstances, like where the result of the play is a change of possession. Wouldn't the game have been better if that had been reviewable?
All penalties that could lead to first down/change of possession/score should be reviewable. It's pretty unreal to give that much control to referees. End of BYU vs Utah game had a similarly egregious no call with a massive impact.

I wonder if they pull that nonsense on SEC opponents or do they save that for OOC games?
They absolutely do it to their own. Only when it benefits the conference though. Playoff contender teams get those calls in close games so that the conference keeps more teams alive. They're not going to let a middle of the pack SEC team ruin the dream if they can help it. The more SEC teams standing at the end, the better.

Threw an absolute dime. Best qb under the clown.
Yeah, I remember that play. Pressley stroked it. I can't remember who caught it either. Seems like it was some special teams guy. Nate Burton? Was he still here? That other guy. What was his name, That had some flashes but never really starred. Who was that guy?

Back