The move is now on to buy out Braine....

GTechsta, it must have been a misprint. DB is off fishing for his fly - not fly fishing as in rivers and streams.
wink.gif

Braine fundraising? The only funds Braine could raise would be people throwing pennies at him.

BDG... why buy Braine out? Let's just tear up his contract & can him... if he tries to sue take part of the money from his contract, hire King & Spalding and tie him up in the courts 'til the next millenium...

When you get right down to it.. we have grounds to not pay him a nickel more due to negligence & breach of contract...

Agree BeeBad. It would be almost comical to see him in court trying to make a case that he did anything to improve things at Georgia Tech.

Where is Braine going fundraising next? Probably in Alaska. I here the fishing is not bad there either.

Just curious, I can see why some would say he hasn't done a good job but where do you get negligence? and especially breach of contract? Do you know something in his contract that he hasn't done?

NCJacket, I am not pro or con on Braine, but you know facts never stand in the way of some on the board.

Even though I am not a lawyer, I would be willing to bet Braine would win the case just made against him by some on the board.

You could not claim negligence on the firing of Cremins. He would have been fired regardless of the AD. He might have been fired sooner by another AD. The majority of Tech basketball fans I know were glad he was gone.

I see no negligence in his hiring of Hewitt, Joseph, or Gailey. In fact, the courts would prove his hiring of Gailey was based on a superb set of credentials.

So, all in all, it is the same as a certain political party, if you can't produce facts, then try to smear the person.

The only possible point that might bring up a case of negligence would be the grade-gate. It appears someone was negligent in this matter, but it is not clear who the guilty party was in this instance. Since Braine was ultimately responsible, he must share some responsibility, and I believe he admitted that.

rolleyes.gif

Originally posted by ahsoisee:

So, all in all, it is the same as a certain political party, if you can't produce facts, then try to smear the person.

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Those damn Republicans!

A quote from the confused ahso

"The only possible point that might bring up a case of negligence would be the grade-gate. It appears someone was negligent in this matter, but it is not clear who the guilty party was in this instance. Since Braine was ultimately responsible, he must share some responsibility, and I believe he admitted that."

After criticizing the elusive "someone" (gee I wonder who that is) for not having facts, you then lay out the facts which Father & I were intimating... You rip us for 3 paragraphs, then agree.. (can anyone say bipolar?)

I am not a lawyer. That said, on the surface I don't see a case for negligence or breach of contract against Dave Braine or Chan Gailey. But something that falls between the letter of the law has occured and they are responsible. I can understand the emotions of Father Wasp,Beebad and others. Especially graduates of Tech. In all honestly if Tech is your alma mater I expect your emotions to be strong in this case. I never would have expected the leadership to have dropped the ball as Braine, and Gailey have done. Again I mention what I said in a earlier thread that got no feedback. How did the Baseball and Basketball teams escape the academic problems that has befallen the football team. Somehow Coach Hall and Coach Hewitt must have had a foot in the academic door when Gailey did'nt. Dr. Clough and Carol Moore don't appear to share any passion for Tech athlectics that we do. Pressure from the big contributors and sponsors seem to be the only answers to getting anything done. I love Tech football dearly. Have since I was 8 years old. These should be happier times. But the new Bobby Dodd Stadium and the recent success of the Football team are largely the work of people who are no longer at Tech. This is all my thoughts of course. I maynot be qualified to judge Braine and Gailey's efforts but I surely have seen much better results from the prior leadership and I think they should be held to higher standards than they apparently have been holding themselves to.

stateline... I didn't respond to your comment that baseball & basketball did not have the academic casualties as football. But the astuteness of your observation was duly noted. Its a darn good question that I'd like to hear answered...

NC.. anytime an individual is granted a trust to oversee the welfare of others they are held accountable if there is failure... Reading Webster's definition of negligence in relation to the Law: "failure to use a reasonable amount of care when such failure results in injury or damage to another"... In this case there are "10 anothers"... (potential class action suit)

My original point being, let's can Braine & not pay him a nickel.. if he sues for it we have reasonable grounds to countersue... Let's send a message that we take the trust that is bestowed on those who are paid so handsomely very seriously... even if THEY don't...

BellySeries, on the "Damn Republicans", that was a good comeback.

Touche!

Statelinejacket, I agree someone was negligent on grade-gate and possibly some other matters. I was just showing how foolish it would be to think he could be convicted in a trial.

I'll let BeeBad and Father Wasp to defend their remarks to the board.

wink.gif

If MIke Price violated his contract then Braine-less has surely violated his.

I think a "poor performance" may be sufficient to abrogate the contract and I would say he performed poorly in his responsibilities to expand the stadium and reseat all the season ticket holders satisfactorily.

Fire him, let him sue and demonstrate by the preponderance of evidence his performance was not poor.

And does not the Attorney General's office represent Georgia Tech for free. So let him sue and pay legal fees while we let the AG's office handle it and get it out of our hair.

Here's my thing. However poor you may think the reseating thing went, that doesn't even register IMO for a couple of reasons.

1. The first thing I would think an AD's contract would talk about is financial performance. I would guess the second is performance on the field. While I don't know the finances I assume we're okay, or at least not worse than we've been in most years. On the field 15 or 17 teams made the playoffs. Even as disappointede as we are with both football and basketball, both has winning records and played in the post season. It would be pretty hard to make that case IMO.

2. Not everyone seems to think reseating was so bad. I don't live in Atlanta or have tickets so I don't have an opinion. It sure would be a silly reason to go to court IMO.

I just think the discussion is petty and beneath Tech. If we want to make a change we should do it the right way and that's to buy him out. He has done some good things for Tech athletics since he's been here. Personally I would be very disappointed in the school if we took that kind of stance.

According to ESPN, or maybe USA Today, not sure, for the most current years available, GT & Puke were the only ACC schools with a deficit. This was in an article about the expansion issue. Do not see the deficit issue getting better with the go'l "buyout" bungling, 51 - 7, lack of academic support, arrogance towards long time supporters, lack of leadership. It will be interesting. Hopefully prayer works.

Beebad, I'm not getting between you and ahso... ya'll have at it. I was trying to ask a serious question of you though. Negligence and breach of contract have specific legal definitions and tests to determine if they have occured. Wondering if you are just willing to let the court decide everything or have any reason to believe either happened? Making a decision that doesn't turn out right isn't negligence BTW. It may be stupid, but that doesn't mean it's actionable.

Ahso, even though I wasn't referring to his hiring ability, if you bring it up I would say he pretty much bungled the whole mess.

What I was referring to was HIS decision to change the organizational structure and personnel in the area of academics, which has not only resulted in the loss of eligibility in record numbers but also no doubt our public perception, which will be huge in recruiting.

It's hard enough overcoming the old throw out the calculus book trick, now you can add a follow up line coming from that Georgia coach as he stuffs Red Man into his mouth, "You may want to TAKE that stuff, son, but even if you do at Tech they pretty much give you this book and cut you loose on your own."

The facts you always seek are these: (1) Braine's decision, self-admitted publicly, led to the loss of 11 football players, with a high liklihood of more to come at the end of the summer. (2) His decision to remove the head coach hampered the coach to continue the previous practice, if he had wanted to, of disciplining or encouraging players - in short - the policy was "butt out", Carol Moore will handle it. (3) As Athletic Director, he reports directly to Clough, and as such has a two- way responsibility, one to maintain and support high academic standards, but also to be an advocate for the athletic department. His direct hiring of Carol Moore, based on NUMEROUS people's opionions - former players, former staff, etc. indicates she is indifferent at minimum and possibly hostile to the duty she is being paid to perform - supporting student athletes needed help in academics due to the immense time pressures they live with as Division I football players. (4) Braine is the one link from the past regime to his current hire - Gailey. HE is responsible for the changes that took place, and SHOULD HAVE KNOWN BETTER. Gailey is obviously complicit and should have known better as well.

We have been at this problem since Tech has been around. To get hit broadside with this situation is unthinkable.

That's just the flunkout situation. Other matters, such as his tinkering with the seating plan, scheduling (do you remember his forgotten - let's move our home UGA game to the dome suggestion - to sell tickets to 30,000 more rednecks suggestion), interference in the assistant coaching assignments (hey, if your going to meddle you accept the responsibility, O'Brien, etc) would give him one hard case to make in court. I rest my case.

FW, but we'd have to make the case not him. And as I said above, decisions that don't pan out don't prove negligence. I don't see where we have any kind of case. If we want him gone, we need to do what the contract calls for and bite the bullet.

Back