The move is now on to buy out Braine....

I agree, my note about it being comical was in jest, but felt I needed to respond to the merits(lack of) of Braine's performance.

The reality of this situation is that it will take a long time to change it. The football coach is much easier to change than the AD. Plus this AD is an insider to Clough. Whether it is deserved or not, Braine could always buy himself another couple of years just by firing Gailey, much like head coaches do with their assistants.

Hmmmm...

I wonder if one of the eleven or their parents might have grounds for a suit against Tech.

Promises made for a certain level of academic support?

So many unknowns, actual grades, class presence, SA's use of the support services available.

Nice thought 71. At current rates it might even turn into a class action.

Buyout or firing, Braine needs to go. As long as he's around we're going downhill.

There are probably few who really know all the details. I can't fault his hires, because Hewitt, Joseph, and Gailey all were good hires according to their assessed abilities.

So, on hiring, there is really nothing to blame him for at this point.

The two big things I see as question marks or flags are the grade-gate incident and the indebtness of Tech athletics.

When I saw the margin of money made by North Carolina and NCSU last year and GT showing a loss, it brought a huge question to my thoughts.

We seemed to be out of kilter on the financial sheets. Maybe there is something I don't understand about those figures. Maybe someone on the board has some good inside information why we are in the red and most of the ACC schools are in the black.

Not looking for gas from those who just want to guess.

It seems wise to have a rule where a President of the school can not hire an AD that has been their good friend or close associate in the past. It becomes very hard for that President to see the situation without bias when questions arise about the AD.

It would also be great if the AD was a qualified Tech alumnus and dedicated to athletic competition.

drinking.gif

From what writer "Ahsoisee" has stated about the financial margins: Is that data available for just anyone or is this something that he has privy to?
If available for anyone, how?

Romejacket, that data is available under another post on the board. I am not sure where, you will have to search for it.

One of the posters gave these figures several days ago.

smile.gif

05/18/2003 - Updated 06:07 PM ET

Romegajacket, I found the figures.

Atlantic Coast Conference

School (Revenues) {Expenses} [Profit-Loss]

Florida State ($32,529,988) {$28,168,004} [$4,361,984]

Georgia Tech ($30,567,357) {$31,392,170} [-$824,813]

Maryland ($34,650,662) {$34,650,662} [$0]

Duke ($16,073,590) {$20,661,405} [-$4,587,815]

North Carolina ($30,793,235) {$21,223,716} [$9,569,519]

North Carolina State ($19,066,332) {$10,752,476} [$8,313,856]

Wake Forest ($23,967,121) {$23,648,812} [$318,309]

Clemson ($35,162,039) {$32,324,285} [$2,837,754]

Virginia ($35,067,418) {$34,437,275} [$630,143]

smile.gif

Ahso - check those numbers before you use them for making a case of financial malfeasance. They really don't make sense on their face. For starters - do you really think GT has 3X the expenses that NCSU does ($30 M to $10 M)??? Also, GT has probably the smallest number of overall athletic teams in the ACC (maybe except Wake but I am not sure) yet we are at the top in expenses? Duke and UNC have a vastly larger number of teams yet we spend more than them or FSU? Doesn't make sense. Duke gets a $10 M check from the ACC but only makes $6 M from all FB, BB and Iron Dukes? I know the FB stadium is pretty empty but BB makes more than that alone. Something is rotten in the sourcing of these numbers so I would be careful about using them here.

My bet is that GT just about breaks even on its athletic budget each year - any material deficit would be front page news of the AUC. Braine has been around the block too many years to get his budget out of kilter.

And while the emotion of some is somewhat humerous, it is obvious they have never fired someone with an employment contract. There are no grounds - repeat no grounds - for firing Braine outright. (I am assuming he is staying away from the cheerleaders and Clough's daughters
smile.gif
) It ain't gonna happen. You have laid out a pretty good case yourself that there is no basis for firing.

The only option is for a buy out - and that is only if Clough wants it to happen. And now in my OPINION that is not going to happen short of a financial disaster at Tech - both attendance and big money contributors - but that will take a couple of years to fully happen. Short of that others may have fun venting on the internet and I guess the rest of us have to put up with it but it ain't going anywhere.

Those numbers are BS. There is no way all 9 schools are reporting the same information the same way. Now I'm not saying we had a positive margin or not because I don't know. But to be concerned about comparisons to other ACC schools based on that info is just plain dumb. UNC has something like 26 varsity sports, we have 14. There is no way those expense numbers include scholarship costs. There is also no way NCSU AA budget is only $10M or Maryland exactly equals revenue and expense. IT IS IMPOSSIBLE FOR THOSE NUMBERS TO BE ACCURATE REFLECTIONS ON ACTUAL ACCOUNTING FOR THE ATHELETIC DEPTS AT THOSE 9 SCHOOLS.

YJacket said..
Short of that others may have fun venting on the internet and I guess the rest of us have to put up with it but it ain't going anywhere.[/QB]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Y... Just this past week Mark Bradley commented on the "ranting" on the internet & Coleman Rudolph did the same, specifically mentioning StingTalk & the disenchantment here with Braine, among other things... Evidently the ranting IS going somewhere...

Y Jacket, if you are trying to use speed reading, forget, it didn't work.

Go back and read my post carefully and those previous to it. I will summarize. Someone else posted those figures on this board from, I assume, NCAA statistics.

I reposted them for Romegajacket's convenience.

I have never mentioned malfeasance in that post. I stated the figures only brought a thought to my mind that the bottom line seems out of kilter on the sheets.

I also stated that someone with some factual information might clear up the difference. I also stated I was not looking for guesses (gas), I was wanting some one with actual knowledge, or knew where to find it might post the reasons.

I can come up with a bunch of guesses, but it means little.

I think you assumed way too much out of that post.

Some one had earlier posted the athletic department was $50 million in debt. I have not heard that anywhere else, but if you search you will find that post in the last couple of days.

rolleyes.gif

I would expect the AA to be in debt in regards to financing the stadia expansions (RC and BD). Not many folks can go out and pay cash for a house either.

Please do not take this as gospel, but I believe, from what I read in I believe USA Today, that these figures are required reporting under a federal law associated with Dept. of Ed. I am sure someone knows the proper answer. As regards some of the other ACC schools remember also that little item called Student Athletic Fees. If someone has twice the enrollment we do that would add up quite nicely.

Agree. We would all love to think that there is a powerful little group of Tech bigwhigs somewhere pulling Clough off line for a one on one power play. Truth is, it ain't happening.

This isn't Texas. Oklahoma or even a place like our rival, UGA, where the President cares enough to make a decision, go public and even mention the word football.

Money talking? Yes, but at Tech as we have seen it takes years upon years, not months upon months, before somebody moves.

The cold, hard reality is that the expanded stadium just upped Braine's balance sheet. Those seats will not be empty. He's got Clemson, Georgia, and Auburn coming to town that will take every seat we've got. Money is green to Braine - not gold.

Just like Gailey is not the primary problem, Braine isn't either. Otherwise, he would have been fired long ago. We don't have the power to put on Clough like the necks do on Adams at Ga. And that, my friends, forebodes alot of long, sad afternoons at BDS before this gets better. Just reality.

Hey Ahsoisee;
Thanks for the update on data. I see that it is a USA Today publication, so if there were a problem with the accuracy of it, it's theirs. I appreciate you're being the messenger.

I would say there is definitely something funny looking about NCSU's expenses. They must have some serious offsets to expenses (large contribution by rich Alum?) if they are holding expenses at 1/3 GT rate, but except for them and UNC the rates seem believable. Duke and WFU expenses are low but they don't seem to spend to much to me.

I do not have the numbers in front of me, but the 02 numbers had NCSU with a 20M deficit. We were the only other school in 02 with a deficit. I would love to see the numbers from all the brain years. Sources say we haven't turned a profit since he has been here.

General Wood, you may be right, we may have to look at the bottom line over a period of years. An incomplete picture is painted when NCSU goes from a deficit of $20 million in 02 to a surplus of $8 million in 03.

confused.gif

Back