the negativity on this board

GTTerrific

Dodd-Like
Can't believe you really think this place is negative.
wink.gif
pat.gif

You've made some observations that make a lot of sense to me.

You forgot about the logic of being behind the team, but not the head coach. That's a good one.
pat.gif

Man, I love Georgia Tech.

Go Jackets!!

I am not sure where this post is coming from but are you aware we lost the last two games?

and you know that CG's job is to win the games, right?

L, 51-7
L, 30-21

maybe your goal is .500 in acc and getting smashed by ugag, but others have higher standards.

It is true that some take improper SHOTS at CG, but others make objective posts. Do you think it is a "spin" job to call this past season a bust?

Most are withholding judgement however that does not change the fact that we have had some dismal performances this year. The MD game is the first time in ~4 years we have been blown out by a non-F$U acc team. The Ugag game was the worst in GT history.

We will all know very quickly into next season where we are headed and if you have SO MUCH confidence in CG I am sure the bookies will give you great odds on the BYU, Auburn, and F$U games.

As GTace's earlier posts have indicated there is no logical reason why CG cannot be successful however in FOOTBALL illogical stuff happens every day.

And to tell you the truth I could care less if CG had the best recruiting class in GT history until I see some W's the jury is out.

Maybe you are right and maybe I and others that have questioned Chan's ability are wrong and I have been wrong many times. I wish you would chronicle for us valid reasons to be optimistic about our FB future. I am not being cynical, i am very sincere and I would think that many others who are discouraged by what we have seen would
love to see you outline some facts that would encourage them as well. The thing that bothers me most about message boards are that when there are
disagreements about their assessments of our team they go on the attack mode. This is not my intent,
but I am open to be persuaded if you have some news that I have not seen or if you could advance
some logic that have escaped me. There is nothing as disruptive to a program as changing coaches and
believe me that nothing would please me more than for Chan to prove me and all doubters to be very wrong. I have seriously considered staying away from these boards for awhile because I don't want to come across as a whiner. But I complain because I care so much for Ga. Tech and the main attraction to our message board is to exchange idea's about Tech.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
There is nothing as disruptive to a program as changing coaches...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BB,
That is why it was so hard to take when a fine Seattle Bowl staff was let go for no reason; except, to bring in a figment of a resume.
There has never been more smoke blown about a resume in the history of the world.

Why is it a surprise that when the resume did not pan out, that lifetime TECH fans would not be concerned and express those concerns?

The bottom line is that the people that post on these boards actually watch the games. They see with their own eyes what is happening. That is when the resume smoke begins to dissipate and the harsh reality of what is really going on sets in. A bitter pill to swallow.

one more thing why are you taking a cheap shot at the board?

there are a FEW that post negative but most post positive or do not post at all. I think you should call those people out b/f attacking the whole board.

I see MANY positives posted daily and in fact more positive posts than negative posts.

Maybe you are fixating on the negative.

Law,

No one likes those Ls. Those games you speak of are no fun at all. That's not what any of us want to see.

I don't think ylojk8's post had anything to do with that in all honesty.

You're absolutely right some have made excellent objective posts. Think you and Axe are two of the best in that regard.

I understand people being ticked off.

Find if odd how people grip and moan about things like not hearing from Coach Gailey or Dave Braine. Things of that nature. It's beat'n to death on here. How is it that I've heard from them? I'm stink'n nobody, and I've heard from them. Heard from Coach Gailey Monday after the UGA game.

Took some time to write both of them and the president snail mail letters. Didn't just flip out and send a letter. Took some time to write what I felt needed to be said. I've heard back from all of them. Not just the form letter that's been racked over on here.
wink.gif

The bottom line is we need to hit the ground winning. That's what needs to happen.

There will be some that won't be satisfied with even winning in my opinion. Hope I'm wrong.

I'm not happy with the games you spoke of. No fan is. It is Coach Gailey's job to win those games. We've had one undefeated season in just barely over a decade. That season we even tied a lowly UNC team at the time thanks to Shawn Jones's heroics. That was some run he made. Unbelievable. That and the goal line stand against UVA were the plays of the year that won us a National Champinionship. Honestly, UNC stunk that year.
wink.gif

We've hashed it out about what went wrong last season enough don't you think? Isn't it time we moved on? Coach Gailey is the coach at Georgia Tech. It's it time we show our heart felt support for this program?

I'm living right now and for things to come. I'm not living last year. Oh yeah I remember it, but living now and for the future.

Huge week in recruiting. Today or tomorrow Morgan announces. Phillips announces this week. Taylor tells on Thursday. One, Kenny Scott, makes it known on Sunday.

Go Jackets!!

Why not start some positive threads rather than this one? These types of threads (which you've been involved with before) only lend to make the board more negative. Obviously you believe that there are many positives in our program right now so why not state them rather than just being negative.

Here is some help: Gailey has done an exceptional job of upgrading our WR corp with his recruits that he is trying to bring in. This should really help provide us with a consistent offense that will better handle the heavyweights like UGA and FSU.

Or how about: What type of team do you envision Gailey creating in the coming years? I think it is interesting to look at his recruits and get an insight into what he values in his players.

Or even: Going into spring I think (fill in the blank) is going to have a huge year and provide us with much needed help in his area.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
Maybe you are right and maybe I and others that have questioned Chan's ability are wrong and I have been wrong many times. I wish you would chronicle for us valid reasons to be optimistic about our FB future. I am not being cynical, i am very sincere and I would think that many others who are discouraged by what we have seen would
love to see you outline some facts that would encourage them as well. The thing that bothers me most about message boards are that when there are
disagreements about their assessments of our team they go on the attack mode. This is not my intent,
but I am open to be persuaded if you have some news that I have not seen or if you could advance
some logic that have escaped me. There is nothing as disruptive to a program as changing coaches and
believe me that nothing would please me more than for Chan to prove me and all doubters to be very wrong. I have seriously considered staying away from these boards for awhile because I don't want to come across as a whiner. But I complain because I care so much for Ga. Tech and the main attraction to our message board is to exchange idea's about Tech.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Big Buck,

See, although you and I don't see eye to eye on some things. Do a lot more than you probably know. I have respect for the way you just have come across with this post.

We all want to win I hope. Sometimes I wonder seriously.
wink.gif

We've hashed over last season over and over. Isn't it time we moved on? I don't see what can be said about last year that's going to change anyone's mind at this point on how they feel. Maybe I'm wrong.

I can't say anything that hasn't already been stated numerous times on here.

I see reason for not even being close to throwing in the towel. Time will tell, but in the mean time Coach Gailey and the team have my undivided support.

GO JACKETS!

Originally posted by GTTerrific:
That season we even tied a lowly UNC team at the time thanks to Shawn Jones's heroics.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We ran all over UNC that day....except on the scoreboard. We had well over 400 yards offense while holding UNC to around 100 yards total. The problem was we kept finding a way not to get the ball in the endzone.

And then the critical play of the game was a muffed punt inside our own 5 yard line, by our backup punt returner, that gave UNC a quick and easy (and undeserved) TD.

We then had to quickly drive for a game tieing (and season saving) field goal by Sisson.

The team showed a lot of character on an unusual off day for this fine team, by finding a way not to lose a game that looked lost.

Congrats to the true 1990 National Champs.

This board is negative only because of what has happened this season. You can't expect anyone posting on any type of board like this to banter back and forth in a positive mode if that's not what's happening. Believe me, I would rather spout words of positive optimism all the time!

I am entering my 29th year as a football season tix holder and I have never sat back and made positive observations when things didn't look right. I believe that we all have opinions and we all should be able to state them ... being called out because I may not agree with others is taking 'pot shots', which is mindboggling to me because I do believe everyone here supports Georgia Tech and its teams!

Just because I or someone else wishes we had hired someone else did not mean before a game was played I wouldn't be behind who ever the coach was. But as the process began BECAUSE I HAVE ALWAYS SUPPORTED THIS TEAM THROUGH ALL THE COACHES, I like others found it relavent to state my opinions on what "I" believed I saw as negative situations occuring while games were being played.

Situations that "I" believed I hadn't seen since previous Tech negative years. Isn't that what sports writers do all the time. I believe our own Furman Bisher had a few choice words on the matter.

The fact the "we" the fans are closer to the situation makes us more passionate and concerned then the average person and we will make these observations because of our passion and dedication is to this program. I started my support of GT athletics with Pepper Rodgers, Bill Curry, Bobby Ross, Bill Lewis, George O'Leary and now Chan Gailey and who ever may come thereafter. I had problems with some of the previous coaches at certain times but then did not have a forum for which to discuss my concerns (we talked to each other).

This IS our forum and however we are each perceived ... the ultimate fact is we are all Georgia Tech diehard fans and alumni!
I respect those who disagree with me, what I can't comprehend is taking individual posters to task. I think that's the negative out of all of this.

Originally posted by MsTechAnalysis:
This board is negative only because of what has happened this season. You can't expect anyone posting on any type of board like this to banter back and forth in a positive mode if that's not what's happening. Believe me, I would rather spout words of positive optimism all the time!

I am entering my 29th year as a football season tix holder and I have never sat back and made positive observations when things didn't look right. I believe that we all have opinions and we all should be able to state them ... being called out because I may not agree with others is taking 'pot shots', which is mindboggling to me because I do believe everyone here supports Georgia Tech and its teams!

Just because I or someone else wishes we had hired someone else did not mean before a game was played I wouldn't be behind who ever the coach was. But as the process began BECAUSE I HAVE ALWAYS SUPPORTED THIS TEAM THROUGH ALL THE COACHES, I like others found it relavent to state my opinions on what "I" believed I saw as negative situations occuring while games were being played.

Situations that "I" believed I hadn't seen since previous Tech negative years. Isn't that what sports writers do all the time. I believe our own Furman Bisher had a few choice words on the matter.

The fact the "we" the fans are closer to the situation makes us more passionate and concerned then the average person and we will make these observations because of our passion and dedication is to this program. I started my support of GT athletics with Pepper Rodgers, Bill Curry, Bobby Ross, Bill Lewis, George O'Leary and now Chan Gailey and who ever may come thereafter. I had problems with some of the previous coaches at certain times but then did not have a forum for which to discuss my concerns (we talked to each other).

This IS our forum and however we are each perceived ... the ultimate fact is we are all Georgia Tech diehard fans and alumni!
I respect those who disagree with me, what I can't comprehend is taking individual posters to task. I think that's the negative out of all of this.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">MsTech,
Very well said. I agree with you completely.

GTPilot. You've made some excellent points. Need to work on some of those myself. I'm trying!

Go Jackets!

Originally posted by GTPilot:
Why not start some positive threads rather than this one? These types of threads (which you've been involved with before) only lend to make the board more negative. Obviously you believe that there are many positives in our program right now so why not state them rather than just being negative.

Here is some help: Gailey has done an exceptional job of upgrading our WR corp with his recruits that he is trying to bring in. This should really help provide us with a consistent offense that will better handle the heavyweights like UGA and FSU.

Or how about: What type of team do you envision Gailey creating in the coming years? I think it is interesting to look at his recruits and get an insight into what he values in his players.

Or even: Going into spring I think (fill in the blank) is going to have a huge year and provide us with much needed help in his area.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">You bring up some great points, Pilot. The problem is that even positive threads or information-oriented threads tend to get turned into Chan-referendum threads. Then, people pile on and a thread gets turned into a frickin joke. Or, you could start a positive thread and people ignore it and it gets pushed down to the bottom quickly.

I think it's fine and dandy to discuss CG. The problem is when it starts to dominate the entire board. This board has reached that point, unfortunately. I think that will continue for a while...probably through next season at least.

Also, unlike MsTech, I think it's OK to take another font to task. Just because someone posts an opinion doesn't mean that I have to agree with it.

MsTechanalysis, you stated my feelings very well.We all are Tech FANATICS and I say that as a compliment and the only post that offends me are the attack dogs that seem to think they have an insight that is beyond most of our abilities. I have supported Tech since the early forties, even before coach Dodd was elevated to the head job so
I am somewhat familiar with the history of Tech.
As I posted the other day Chan and I have the same birthday Jan.5 but I have children that are older than him. I hope that Chan can get off to a good start next year but I am not encouraged when I look at our schedule with no proven QB and playing Auburn in the first home game when the Tigers are already being projected to have a top 5 or 10 team nationally. I was being sincere when I invited the original poster to give me some valid reason to be optimistic, lord knows I want to be. Let me stop my rambling.

Bugboy, You don't have to agree with every post, but if I understood MSTechAnalysis she was alluding to people being respectful to one another and that applies to me as well. We can disagree without being disagreeable.

I don't see posters that take either the pro or con side of any issue as being negative. It is the incessant drum beat of the few posters, that constantly complain about others opinions, that tend to beat the negativity drum.
I have never understood anyone being afraid of someone's else's opinion.
A little honest debate is not negative.

Wins and losses are the final grade on the field. 7-6 would probably be a "D-" on a letter grade scale. As mediocre as that is that is not my gripe. My gripe is how we arrived at that "D-". Very poor game preparations, lack of dicipline, and lack of leadership was the biggest letdowns in Chan Gailey's first year. How can I expect better grades from Coach Gailey in these three areas? Or maybe a better question is how much improvement can I expect from Gailey? Regardless of record, enough to give him an "A" or "B-" minus next year? If so then to me that means he did not put his best into his job this year and that is unacceptable. If Coach Gailey did put in total effort this year, then how much improvement could we realistically expect next year and the future after that? Maybe enough to give him a "C" in these areas. Still not good enough. Does this not seem logical? Of course to many it will not, but that is how I see it. I repeat the record is not my concern from a first year coach but the coaches and players performance in achieving this W-L record.

It seems some posters try to teach you (or force you) to think the way they do.
The following is a story about a professor that tried to force his thinking on a student.
Real good food for thought:

A Letter from a College Professor

Some time ago I received a call from a colleague, who asked if I would be the referee on the grading of an examination question. He was about to give a student a zero for his answer to a physics question, while the student claimed he should receive a perfect score and would if the system were not set up against the student.

The instructor and the student agreed to an impartial arbiter, and I was selected.

I went to my colleague's office and read the examination question: "Show how it is possible to determine the height of a tall building with the aid of a barometer."

The student had answered: "Take the barometer to the top of the building, attach a long rope to it, lower it to the street, and then bring it up, measuring the length of the rope. The length of the rope is the height of the building."

I pointed out that the student really had a strong case for full credit since he had really answered the question completely and correctly. On the other hand, if full credit were given, it could well contribute to a high grade in his physics course. A high grade is supposed to certify competence in physics, but the answer did not confirm this.

I suggested that the student have another try at answering the question. I was not surprised that my colleague agreed, but I was surprised when the student did. I gave the student six minutes to answer the question with the warning that the answer should show some knowledge of physics.

At the end of five minutes, he had not written anything. I asked if he wished to give up, but he said no. He had many answers to this problem; he was just thinking of the best one. I excused myself for interrupting him and asked him to please go on.

In the next minute, he dashed off his answer which read: "Take the barometer to the top of the building and lean over the edge of the roof. Drop the barometer, timing its fall with a stopwatch. Then, using the formula x=3D0.5*a*t^2, calculate the height of the building."

At this point, I asked my colleague if he would give up. He conceded, and gave the student almost full credit. In leaving my colleague's office, I recalled that the student had said that he had other answers to the problem, so I asked him what they were.

"Well," said the student. "there are many ways of getting the height of a tall building with the aid of a barometer. For example, you could take the barometer out on a sunny day and measure the height of the barometer, the length of its shadow, and the length of the shadow of the building, and by the use of simple proportion, determine the height of the building." "Fine," I said, "and others?"

"Yes," said the student." There is a very basic measurement method you will like. In this method, you take the barometer and begin to walk up the stairs. As you climb the stairs, you mark off the length of the barometer along the wall. You then count the number of marks, and this will give you the height of the building in barometer units. "A very direct method."

"Of course. If you want a more sophisticated method, you can tie the barometer to the end of a string, swing it as a pendulum, and determine the value of g at the street level and at the top of the building. From the difference between the two values of g, the height of the building, in principle, can be calculated."

"On this same tack, you could take the barometer to the top of the building, attach a long rope to it, lower it to just above the street, and then swing it as a pendulum. You could then calculate the height of the building by the period of the precession".

"Finally," he concluded, "there are many other ways of solving the problem. Probably the best," he said, "is to take the barometer to the basement and knock on the superintendent's door. When the superintendent answers, you speak to him as follows: 'Mr. Superintendent, here is a fine barometer. If you will tell me the height of the building, I will give you this barometer.'"

At this point, I asked the student if he really did know the conventional answer to this question. He admitted that he did, but said that he was fed up with high school and college instructors trying to "teach him to think".

Originally posted by beeware:
Originally posted by GTTerrific:
That season we even tied a lowly UNC team at the time thanks to Shawn Jones's heroics.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">We ran all over UNC that day....except on the scoreboard. We had well over 400 yards offense while holding UNC to around 100 yards total. The problem was we kept finding a way not to get the ball in the endzone.

And then the critical play of the game was a muffed punt inside our own 5 yard line, by our backup punt returner, that gave UNC a quick and easy (and undeserved) TD.

We then had to quickly drive for a game tieing (and season saving) field goal by Sisson.

The team showed a lot of character on an unusual off day for this fine team, by finding a way not to lose a game that looked lost.

Congrats to the true 1990 National Champs.
[/QUOTE______________________

You're exactly right...I was there - and to add to that, UNC didn't have to generate a single first down for any opf their points ! Each was a gift from a turnover. Tech dominated the game.

Back to the original thread...One thing that constantly amazes me - the very second a post gets made that even dares suggest things are not 100% rosey, then along comes the "anti-negative posters" who's sole job in life is to point out or imply that the poster isn't a real fan, or is hurting the team blah blah blah....Nothing could be further from the truth

Back