the negativity on this board

Originally posted by oldfoggy:
...the negatism only hurts the person being negative and not at whom it's aimed.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Suzan,
I am not sure what you are doing with oldfoggy...but keep up the good work. You've got us agreeing again....will wonders never cease?!?!
wink.gif

beeware .. why don't you answer bamawreck's questions? could it be because you're a HYPOCRITE?

Anyone that can watch our last 3 games and not be concerned about our coaching and the state of our program is not being a realist.

While I hope that things will turn around and we will get back on the right track, based on the evidence at hand, it does not look favorable without some significant change. To date I have not seen even a hint of change much less a mention. I will continue to hope for improvement.

You can call that being negative but I see it as being realistic. No one is a bigger Tech fan than me. Of that I am positive. I want what is best for the program. I am not going to ignore what I see and place blind loyalty to this staff. They (in particular Coach Gailey) need to show marked improvement or get the hell out of dodge. The program deserves better than what has been turned in lately. I know we have what we have and we need to make the best of the situation. I am willing to do that but I want to see some marked improvement from those in charge.

Go Jackets!

You didn't see "a hint of a change" when Suggs didn't come out for the second half against Fresno? You didn't see "a hint of a change" when 3 guys played QB against UGA? You didn't see "a hint of a change" when RBs kept going down and we opened up the offense? You didn't see "a hint of a change" in our prospects when the nation's #1 rusher was injured and our best D-lineman had to quit for medical reasons? You don't see "a hint of a change" in what looks like a very good recruiting class?

What do you want? Dave Braine to change into Dawn?

Ylojk8,

Here is a positive comment for you.

I'm positive that Chan is not the man. But hey, just my opinion. Only time will prove me wrong, not your opinion.

I do think there are more than a few Gailey supporters here who cannot separate support from Tech from support for GTAA and its employees. This does surprise me but I coming around to accepting that as just the way it is.

You may find this even more surprising, as a Tech man, I have a stronger, more lasting connection to you and all other Tech grads than I ever will for the hired help.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
What do you want? Dave Braine to change into Dawn?[/qb]
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">bellyseries,

Dawn? Dawn who? Got pics?

Originally posted by 71Bee:
Ylojk8,

I'm positive that Chan is not the man. But hey, just my opinion. Only time will prove me wrong, not your opinion.

I do think there are more than a few Gailey supporters here who cannot separate support from Tech from support for GTAA and its employees. This does surprise me but I coming around to accepting that as just the way it is.

You may find this even more surprising, as a Tech man, I have a stronger, more lasting connection to you and all other Tech grads than I ever will for the hired help.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Okay, 71, let me get this straight: You "are" Ga Tech, but Chan Gailey, hired help, is not?

There is a distinction between "Ga Tech" as it exists at any momemt (in its employees in the GTAA, for instance, and presumably , its faculty) and the "real", Platonic, Ga Tech?

I'm not sure where this leaves Bobby Dodd, for instance, but if it's a way of NOT supporting the program while claiming to be a "real" Tech man, it's pretty spiffy.

Yes 71B I agree 100% CG is hired help as was BD, BF, BC, B(BS)L and many others. As in any good business you either produce or you find someone who can. Is CG the man I don't know and neither does anyone else here on ST. Time and only time will tell. If BD had not been given a chance after the Alabama debacle back in 50/51 then we may have missed (in my opinion) the greatest coach who ever coached the game. I like your remark you are closer to all the Techmen (women) than to the hired help.

Originally posted by 83jacket:
This board is the Tech doomsayer board, led by the prodical doomsayer, Beeware. I would venture to guess if Gailey turns it around next year, Beeware would simply disappear rather than come on the board and take his medicine. The sad thing is that discussion of Gailey constantly on this board has rendered this board void of any useful or interesting information about GT. Virtually any post about football turns into a bash Gailey or Braine post.[/QUOTE___________________________________

Why, Why does commenting on the team being physically and mentally unprepared (obvservations which are pretty easy), horrible losses (like we haven't seen in ~ a decade) etc, and then wondering whats going on with the staff/team etc HAVE to fall into the categoryu of "Gailey bashing" ?? I swear, I don't get it.

Do we all have to have a psychotic/delirious optimistic view to be "acceptable" ?
If the answer is "no" then please let me know the correct "rules" of dicussion, like for instance following the pasting UGAG gave us....I'll need to know for future reference.

Originally posted by 71Bee:
Ylojk8,

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">71Bee, i don't get this either. Joe Heisman was hired help too, he was not a Tech man. Bobby Dodd was a Tennesee Grad, he was not a Tech man either. George O'Leary? Ralph Friedgen? Not Tech men.

you're a Tech grad and so am I. what about statelinejacket? he is not a Tech grad. what are his connections with Tech? he roots for Tech. Gailey COACHES for Tech .. get it?

Statelinejacket, hats off to you and to everyone who roots for Tech but didn't attend Tech. I have the utmost respect and admiration for people like statelinejacket. I agree when people say that everyone on this board roots for Tech and with a passion! statelinejacket roots for Tech with a passion too, his passion for Tech exceeds mine it seems. Hats off to you, this is a sincere comment.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
Joe Heisman was hired help too, he was not a Tech man.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Joe Heisman??
wink.gif

Reminds me of this famous quote:

"The word 'genius' isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
-- Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback and sports analyst

I assume he meant John Heisman, but I will go on record right now as saying they won't name a trophy after Chan!

Thanks TeamBuzz .. i did mean John Heisman, can't believe I did that.

Beeware, since you're so actively scrutinizing this thread, is it possible that you missed the post made by bamawreck addressed to you?

here it is if you did .. you seemed busy pointing out errors in my posts in this thread so you might have overlooked this post

POT CALLING KETTLE...POT CALLING KETTLE

can't debate the message???
for 13 months now, you have avoided the "message"
of
1. why 7-5 in 2001 is so wonderful...and yet 7-5 is in 2002 is a season lost.
2. how our "wonderful seattle bowl staff" was not so wonderful. i.e. danny crossman and peter mccarty being quite possibly the worst position coaches we have had here....david kelley being a huckster... ted in over his head as DC...
3. without ralph, george is just 2 games over .500 like....7-5....with ALL THAT TALENT as you say
4. ALL THAT TALENT...o'leary did not leave the cupboard full like you claim....just ask the NFL..
5. mcwhorter joining the "YOU DON'T HIRE AN ASSISTANT FROM THE CURRENT STAFF CLUB". joining the likes of torbusch, dubose, goff, west, bobby williams...mac could have been on the list with solich (neb) this year..any bets on doba from wash. st. joining the list in a year or two.
( larry coker you say???? well, then we need to define what ALL THAT TALENT really means, because he's got it)

there are are so many more...but let's start with those 5...i'll be waiting....
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">sure enough .. he's waiting

Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by 71Bee:
Ylojk8,

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Okay, 71, let me get this straight: You "are" Ga Tech, but Chan Gailey, hired help, is not?

There is a distinction between "Ga Tech" as it exists at any momemt (in its employees in the GTAA, for instance, and presumably , its faculty) and the "real", Platonic, Ga Tech?

I'm not sure where this leaves Bobby Dodd, for instance, but if it's a way of NOT supporting the program while claiming to be a "real" Tech man, it's pretty spiffy.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Bellyseries and ylojk8,

My first impulse was a quick quip, but thought the better of it and decided to try to put my thoughts together in a manner most would understand.

Georgia Tech is not brick buildings, football and baseball fields, stadiums, or songs. These are all the outward vestiges of something far more lasting; a school spirit which I believe is as real as anything attached to the institute. The core of this spirit is every Tech man and woman, bound forever by a bond formed by four and plus years of a common trial completed with our graduation. Once completed, never to be broken or dissolved by time or events.

As one of many, in this respect I am Georgia Tech.

Yes we also have many fans devoted and avid followers of our sports teams. Some are also avid followers and supporters of our institute beyond our sports teams. They have a special place in all our hearts.

There are also a long line of loyal and dedicated employees of our institution who have served it long and well; academics, administration, and employees of the athletic association. A few of these by the actions and long service deserve honor and recognition as long as there is a Georgia Tech. Bobby Dodd, W.A. Alexander, John Heisman, Dean Griffin are just a few of those worthy to be so honored.

Perhaps someday, Chan Gailey will be worthy of such an honor.

ylojk8: Just read your comments about me and I appreciate your candor. I went to Dalton College in my hometown after serving in the Navy. However I have been a Tech fan since I knew what college football was all about. Around 7 to 8 years old I guess. I'm 38 yrs. old so I have went up and down with the Jackets for about 30 years now. And that is the reason I don't see us getting anywhere with Coach Gailey. Because I have seen some awful teams Tech has put on the field but this is the first time I have lost complete confidence in the coaching staff. I think Coach Gailey may put together a average to good recruiting class, but then what? Being a salesman is not going to improve his gameplans or his ability to place the right players where they need to be, not to mention his apparent lack of ability to motivate or dicipline his players. The off the field comments about the Quarterback job being closed during Spring drills and not speaking to the booster clubs this offseason with 55,000 seats that need to have Tech fans in them just topped off the whole mess. As I said before, I appreciate your comments and I believe them to be sincere and I can see your obvious passion for your school and I respect that. But we are still on opposite sides. I hope we can continue to disagree without using slinging venom toward each other.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
...so I have went up and down with the Jackets for about 30 years now. And that is the reason I don't see us getting anywhere with Coach Gailey. Because I have seen some awful teams Tech has put on the field but this is the first time I have lost complete confidence in the coaching staff.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">stateline,
I just wanted to echo your comments. Although I have been watching TECH for a somewhat longer time than you, I always had confidence that TECH would put up a fight every Saturday.

That is, until Coach Gailey was brought on board. I was one of the few that spoke out, upfront, that his hiring was the worst mistake in the history of TECH football.

It saddens me how right I was....and what an absolute mess it is going to be before the changes are made to get us out of the ditch.

The saddest thing, of course, is that none of this was necessary. But it is important to try to remain positive, if possible. One positive thing is we do have enough talent left this year to win some games in spite of the coaching. Let us hope.

here comes the line "we have the talent to win in spite of coaching"

i have been waiting for this line to come out in this thread .. it took the 76th reply from our local negative thought police to make this comment.

read the first post in this thread that i made and you'll find what i have been talking about.

beeware .. if our coach is SOOOO horrible .. then no amount of talent level should suffice. you are plainly smoking weed. make some coherent arguments.

Back