THE OFFICIAL Firing, House Cleaning, Night of Long Knives, Celebration, Disappointment Thread.

Please do. Feel free to show them this
2011 GT vs UGA game
FB_IMG_1638135186072~2.jpg

2021 GT vs UGA game
IMG_20211127_104230~2.jpg

No color enhancement for either picture
Georgia Tech football is a barren wasteland.

If baffles me that any fan cares how much we pay our coach (except insofar as it prevents us from paying a different coach).
We care because it is an indicator of the Talents of our Coaches relative to others in their industry.

Don't know what your background is, but Tech companies love to hire from a Google or a Microsoft because those companies pay the most for Talent in the Tech Industry, so if you hire from those guys you are increasing the likelihood of hiring a strong candidate (doesn't guarantee it though).

That's why Fans worry about our Pay scale, Agents with talented Coaches on their client roster will direct their Talented Coaching Candidates away from GT due to our cheapskate ways.

So no, you shouldn't be baffled at all.

We care because it is an indicator of the Talents of our Coaches relative to others in their industry.
I guess that explains why we paid CGC so much... to make it clear how talented he was.

I don't think so. The amount a coach gets paid is a measure of supply and demand in the market, that's all. Plenty of good coaches are underpaid, plenty of bad ones are overpaid, depending on the quality of their agents, the circumstances of their hiring, you name it.

Yes. Which is why I keep saying it. Everyone keeps saying öööö that makes zero sense in light of the fact that we are paying in THE BOTTOM QUARTILE OF POWER 5.

Put things in that context, then we can have a rational conversation.

Which we could get away with to a point when our HC doubled as the OC and we had assistants who would otherwise be in FCS or academies. Not so now.

This may have already been addressed, but why would Mullen want to be our OC? Not saying we couldn't offer good money, but I'm skeptical that he's fallen so far that he couldn't land a HC gig somewhere like VT or SMU, or a coordinator job somewhere with a higher profile.

I know there's the Collins connection from MSU, but is there anything more?

Regardless, I'd love the hire. I think he could do wonders with Sims, Gibbs, and Blackburn.

This may have already been addressed, but why would Mullen want to be our OC? Not saying we couldn't offer good money, but I'm skeptical that he's fallen so far that he couldn't land a HC gig somewhere like VT or SMU, or a coordinator job somewhere with a higher profile.

Regardless, I'd love the hire. I think he could do wonders with Sims, Gibbs, and Blackburn.
No idea how realistic it is. But I think he’s much more likely to wind up at UL than SMU or VT, who are both aiming higher at HC. Fuentes’s compensation put CGC’s to shame.

I guess that explains why we paid CGC so much... to make it clear how talented he was.

I don't think so. The amount a coach gets paid is a measure of supply and demand in the market, that's all. Plenty of good coaches are underpaid, plenty of bad ones are overpaid, depending on the quality of their agents, the circumstances of their hiring, you name it.

Except the point is that we aren't actually paying CGC so much.

Yes it is supply and demand, but right now the supply of good coaches is low and the demand is high. It is very much a sellers market right now and we're getting priced out of it.

It is not realistic. I’m not even sure Collins and Mullen like each other but they do have a connection and maybe Mullen is tired of the HC hat or doesn’t find the correct fit as HC but still wants to coach next year.

The story is he doesn’t like to recruit and he doesn’t love dealing with the media.

All of this is a band aid on a bullet wound. We’ll be better next year because statistically it’s darn near impossible not to be. But that doesn’t mean we are on the right path. We simply whiffed with the Collins hire. It happens. The post Johnson decade will be one to forget.
Certainly possible to be worse. Got UCF, Ole Miss, & Ugag for non-conference, plus W. Carolina. Definitely a tougher schedule than this year. I could easily see 2-10, especially if Gibbs & Sims hit the portal.

No idea how realistic it is. But I think he’s much more likely to wind up at UL than SMU or VT, who are both aiming higher at HC. Fuentes’s compensation put CGC’s to shame.

Now this surprises me. SMU lost Dykes to TCU (though there's some rumors he may pull a Manny Diaz and go to OU instead) but they're aiming for more than a coach who took Mississippi State to an Orange Bowl and won the SEC East last year at UF?

And I don't know of anyone who wouldn't take Mullen over Fuente in a heartbeat.

Yes it is supply and demand, but right now the supply of good coaches is low and the demand is high. It is very much a sellers market right now and we're getting priced out of it.
Actually that's my point! And it's always a sellers market, in any field where so much rests on the shoulders of so few.

Right - compared to what Mich. St. Gave their guy (10 years/$95 MM), CGC is getting peanuts. Of course, if you base it on a salary/wins ratio, they’re pretty even.

Very few Coaches are underpaid because their Agents are always in the business of finding them better job openings and frequently restructuring their deals to make sure their clients keep up with Market Wages.

Recent examples:

Brohm at Purdue now makes $6MM per year

Jimbo at Texas A&M was at 10 yrs $75MM, before the season got reupped to 10 years $95MM

Mel Tucker Michigan State reupped for 10 years $95MM

James Franklin Penn State reupped for 10 years $75MM

Billy Napier just went from Louisiana to UF, since this is his first deal at the P5 Level , I expect his Agent to get him about $6MM per year, candidates like Napier no longer consider a GT type of Program with a small budget, they instead wait for Jobs like UF that pays a lot more.

In today's Arms race of CFB spending like it's Monopoly Money very few if any Coaches are underpaid, to summarize the GTAA shopping in the discount bin of Coaches won't be able to find this generation's Boss Ross or GOL.

The Game has evolved, you should too.

Very few Coaches are underpaid because their Agents are always in the business of finding them better job openings and frequently restructuring their deals to make sure their clients keep up with Market Wages.

Recent examples:

Brohm at Purdue now makes $6MM per year

Jimbo at Texas A&M was at 10 yrs $75MM, before the season got reupped to 10 years $95MM

Mel Tucker Michigan State reupped for 10 years $95MM

James Franklin Penn State reupped for 10 years $75MM

Billy Napier just went from Louisiana to UF, since this is his first deal at the P5 Level , I expect his Agent to get him about $6MM per year, candidates like Napier no longer consider a GT type of Program with a small budget, they instead wait for Jobs like UF that pays a lot more.

In today's Arms race of CFB spending like it's Monopoly Money very few if any Coaches are underpaid, to summarize the GTAA shopping in the discount bin of Coaches won't be able to find this generation's Boss Ross or GOL.

The Game has evolved, you should too.
So immediately before Tucker's compensation was increased, he was overpaid? eyesquint.jpg

The fact that coaches are successfully renegotiating for big compensation increases proves that coaches are underpaid. Their employers agreed, and rectified it. Other coaches have "voluntarily" reduced their compensation (Harbaugh, Frost), proving conversely that some coaches are overpaid. (As if GT fans would need proof that some coaches are overpaid!!!)

Anyhow, it's just a market like any other.

Last edited:
I did what now? Think you got the wrong guy. I’m ok with an extra year for CGC, but I’d have been ok with a termination IF we start matching compensation budget and hiring targets with program expectations.

I think it’s ridiculous that our fans want to have bottom quartile P5 coaching compensation but top 20 coaching results.
If $$ is the problem, ask those of us that support the program for $$. They asked for recruiting staff $$ & we gave it to them. They asked for facilities $$ & we gave it to them. Apparently they had buyout $$. If they’d have said, we need $15M to hire a new staff they’d have got it. Stansbury did none of that.

Back