THE OFFICIAL Firing, House Cleaning, Night of Long Knives, Celebration, Disappointment Thread.

CGC should take over DC and use the savings elsewhere. Take what the difference in what Thacker was getting as DC and his reduced roll and add it to the salary for a kickass OC named Briles or Mullen.

I guess I agree with this, because honestly, to get a top notch O coodinator, innovative and smart, to come here knowing it could be a one year gig, it will take a LOT of $$. I am thinking at least 1.5-2.0 million if we truly get someone of proven quality. It would also help if circus leader would accept a short term pay cut, even 250,000 would help.

Does anyone have a high confidence level that Thacker has been demoted for sure? I have seen NOTHING to confirm such a claim.

If all CGC means by "new leadership" is that he is getting rid of the "co-DC's" and replacing it with one DC, Thacker, then God help us.

Does anyone have a high confidence level that Thacker has been demoted for sure? I have seen NOTHING to confirm such a claim.

Nope; but why would anyone on the D staff be safe if you were truly looking around for a DC. Sounds more like Thacker will be retained as DC or the new DC is already in house.

Nope; but why would anyone on the D staff be safe if you were truly looking around for a DC. Sounds more like Thacker will be retained as DC or the new DC is already in house.

If Thacker is retained "as DC", then that is not "new" leadership. And, unless CGC takes it himself, I don't see anyone left that is ready for that job. Again, God help us if a new DC is not brought in.

If Thacker is retained "as DC", then that is not "new" leadership. And, unless CGC takes it himself, I don't see anyone left that is ready for that job. Again, God help us if a new DC is not brought in.
I think I know where we are headed with the idea that you would want your oc and dc to pick their own position coaches. We retained position guys on both sides of the ball while getting “rid” of the dc and canning the oc.

That means people already here are moving around. That I think means key as oc and Geoff as dc. We will hire 1 or 2 position guys to take over where Nate and the Bachelor were coaching.

From the AJC article online

With Collins firing three members of his 10-person coaching staff, it was expected that there were to not be any additional changes. That includes defensive coordinator Andrew Thacker, whose unit ranks 117th in FBS in total defense, remaining in his position.

Y'all been duped again.

I think I know where we are headed with the idea that you would want your oc and dc to pick their own position coaches. We retained position guys on both sides of the ball while getting “rid” of the dc and canning the oc.

That means people already here are moving around. That I think means key as oc and Geoff as dc. We will hire 1 or 2 position guys to take over where Nate and the Bachelor were coaching.

You have depressed me greatly, sir. Key cannot be the OC - I don't see that option as palatable. Just wow.
I guess it is ok for Geoffrey to be DC, if he stays focused on that more than marketing and getting in the way of the other coaches or trying to befriend the players.

You have depressed me greatly, sir. Key cannot be the OC - I don't see that option as palatable. Just wow.
I guess it is ok for Geoffrey to be DC, if he stays focused on that more than marketing and getting in the way of the other coaches or trying to befriend the players.
I forgot that we will need a QB coach since that was something Patenaude was doing.

All the tea leaves suggest is Collins becoming the DC.

My understanding is that the ones announced are all there is *for now*. The intent will be for OC/DC to keep the people being retained, but that's part of the negotiations. As I mentioned in another thread, there's an increased salary pool less than the difference in buyouts from this year and next. My understanding is/was that both coordinators had a year left on their contract, but have seen conflicting notes. Collins didn't want to pay Thacker not to coach and instead use the extra money for the coordinator hire. If I was Stansbury, I wouldn't have given Collins that autonomy, but it's stuff like that that will get Todd fired next year as well.

I thought Collins might take over the defensive coordinator coaching. There are head coaches who call the offensive plays, so I thought this is not a stretch. If that's what he excelled at (MSU and Florida), maybe he wants to do it to save his job, and train the next DC. We will see...

If all CGC means by "new leadership" is that he is getting rid of the "co-DC's" and replacing it with one DC, Thacker, then God help us.
Quinlan put out a tweet regarding his “new role.”

Here it is:

Surely, he’s not taking on more responsibility.

Back