The Paul Johnson Era

But not over the last three years

With a bit more precision, not with his recruits.

He has had one winning season in those three years.

He is now one game over .500 since the beginning of 2010--3 3/4 seasons--against FBS competition. Is that why he is the highest paid coach in the ACC???

For all of you who insulted the original poster--who wants better for this program:

I don't know who or what you are fans of, but it's not GT. You are people who embrace mediocrity, and mediocrity is NOT acceptable to a true Tech man.

Pretty much. They are licking their chops at the next two games too and just wishing we'd lose just so they can say "I told you so". It's sad.

Ugh, I was sitting a couple of rows away from one of these butthurts at the game. Any play that that went for no or small gain he'd say something sarcastic about how good we are often following up with "we're gonna get beat by this crap team". Any big play for Tech he'd just sit there quietly and sulk. He was one of the biggest Tech bitches I've encountered outside of Stingtalk. Then again, it wouldn't surprise me at all if it turned out he posts on here.

There were 3 or 4 games very similar to this in 1990.

And, in 1988-1989, a lot of fans wanted Bobby Ross gone, and the "football program was going nowhere". It's rare when people remember what really happened and how it happened.

He is now one game over .500 since the beginning of 2010--3 3/4 seasons--against FBS competition. Is that why he is the highest paid coach in the ACC???

For all of you who insulted the original poster--who wants better for this program:

I don't know who or what you are fans of, but it's not GT. You are people who embrace mediocrity, and mediocrity is NOT acceptable to a true Tech man.

Last time I checked 2010 had Gailey recruits too. If you want to be 'precise' or honest, your starting point needs to be later.

I just did a quick search and CPJ is around 5th or 6th of the known salaries.

If the trolls actually cared about honest use of data they'd be including staff salary as well since cpj serves as his own oc,

Jacketup, if you're going to be an idiot troll at least show some effort man.

There were 3 or 4 games very similar to this in 1990.

Name them. We had a weak win against VT and a tie vs. UNC. What they didn't have was two weak wins, UVA and Pitt, as well as three losses. That's my era, don't try to rewrite history on it.

But not over the last three years

Ok, I can pick a couple of three year periods where Dodd's record was mediocre, and he made a mistake taking us out of the SEC which is a big part of why we are who we are today. Heisman was consistently pretty good, but he coached 100 years ago.

My point is that GT is not an easy place to coach, it's not a dream job, and even with all of the limitations we have, CPJ is doing a pretty good job. Good enough that he deserves an opportunity to take us up a notch, and doesn't deserve all the crap that douchebag stingtalk posters spew. The last 6 years have been better than the previous six years. I would like to see where this goes.

If you think firing coaches every few years is the way to build a great program, Tennessee/Arkansas/USCw/etc/etc say hi. Yes there have been success stories, but you are betting on catching lightning in a bottle. Are you willing to throw away what we have for the next Lane Kiffen?

A true Tech man is proud of GT period. A few football losses doesn't change that. An irrational football fan who happened to go to GT is the one who whines about 11 point wins.

Ok, I can pick a couple of three year periods where Dodd's record was mediocre, and he made a mistake taking us out of the SEC ...

Leaving the SEC was NOT a mistake. Dodd cared about academics and believed Universities should be Universities first. He was also frustrated by the corruption and dishonest practices of the rest of the conference and Bryant in particular.
The mistake was not leaving the SEC it was not joining the ACC as soon as we could.

Name them. We had a weak win against VT and a tie vs. UNC. What they didn't have was two weak wins, UVA and Pitt, as well as three losses. That's my era, don't try to rewrite history on it.

The wins against VT and UNC were much worse than the latest "weak" win. It took last minutes heroics by Jones to pull out the NC state game.

Don't want to rewrite history, but whining over a 10 point conference victory is just silly.

Leaving the SEC was NOT a mistake. Dodd cared about academics and believed Universities should be Universities first. He was also frustrated by the corruption and dishonest practices of the rest of the conference and Bryant in particular.
The mistake was not leaving the SEC it was not joining the ACC as soon as we could.

I don't disagree with your points, but since then our football program has not enjoyed the same level of success. (There are likely many reasons for that.) Personally I'm fine with leaving the SEC for the reasons we did. I'm not one of those fans that believes the institute should be changed and molded for the sole purpose of having a better football team. I guess I meant that if you want to have a better and more relevant football program, it would be better to be in the SEC.

I think the changes both in the conference and culturally in college football that brought about the end of GT's era in the SEC would've led us to the bottom of that conference, We would perhaps have a more energized fanbase due to preserving historic rivalries, but I doubt we'd be much better than Vanderbilt right now.

Pretty much. If we had stayed, we would be Vandy or Ole Miss, not Alabama.

At least we've fared better than Tulane!

Don't fire Pawl. Instead, give him a mediocre contract with big incentives for 8+ wins. Say $750k base + $100 k for win #8, $200k for #9, $400k for #10, $800k for #11, $1.6MM for #12 + $2MM for #14.

Fire Mike Sewak if that doesn't work.

Back