The prospect of an awful 2011 season

I'll know more when I see the first real game. Thanks to the practice reports, I feel like I know at least something.
I have a little more hope on the defense right now, compared to last year. On offense, I hope they play inside the offense.
I think 7-5 is the bottom, and 9-3/10-2 would be phenominal.

8-4, 2008-type season. A solid 7 as far as seasons go.

I just hope UGA is one of the 8 and not one of the 4. At this point, I would give up losses to Clemson, VPI and Miami in exchange for a UGA win.

I would agree with that, the value of a win over Ugag regardless of their record or circumstances is huge. If we could somehow beat them this year that would make CPJ's record 2-2 and would very possibly mean a huge shakeup with CMR probably gone.

Remember, pass it to the left and don't forget to inhale.

Seriously, you can't be serious? 32% of our players in 2008 made it to the NFL. 'Nuff said.

I think 32% of our starters in 2011 could make it to the NFL...32% isn't that high considering they left at various times. If it was 32% all right after the 2008 season, that would be ridiculous.

I think 32% of our starters in 2011 will make it to the NFL...32% isn't that high considering they left at various times. If it was 32% all right after the 2008 season, that would be ridiculous.

32% seems very high. I have a hard time imagining 7 of this year's starters getting drafted, which isn't a bad thing, just normal. Maybe 2 or 3?

11 of our 2007 starters (including Durant Brooks) were drafted/signed I believe:

Choice, Cox, Gardner, Richard, Walker, Guyton, Wheeler, Word-Daniels, Lewis, Brooks, and Peek, but W-D and Peek got cut.

6 of our 2009 starters I believe were drafted/play.

Dwyer, Allen, Thomas, Howard, Morgan, Burnett

I don't follow. Maybe that tells even more!

I think realistically and hope optimistically.

Helluva, Helluva, Helluva......

That statement is reduntantly redundant.

Hope is optimism. Nobody hopes pessimistically. That would be an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp or intelligent gagger fan.

I'd say you fit in with the majority of GT online football fans, you hope for the best but expect the worst. Looking at things realistically is almost impossible, anyhow. Its all just some guys opinion of "reality."
You definately lean P. I, on the other hand, lean O.

11 of our 2007 starters (including Durant Brooks) were drafted/signed I believe:

Choice, Cox, Gardner, Richard, Walker, Guyton, Wheeler, Word-Daniels, Lewis, Brooks, and Peek, but W-D and Peek got cut.

6 of our 2009 starters I believe were drafted/play.

Dwyer, Allen, Thomas, Howard, Morgan, Burnett

And we SERIOUSLY under-performed in 2007. That season was a freaking nightmare.

Helluva, Helluva, Helluva......

That statement is reduntantly redundant.

Hope is optimism. Nobody hopes pessimistically. That would be an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp or intelligent gagger fan.

I'd say you fit in with the majority of GT online football fans, you hope for the best but expect the worst. Looking at things realistically is almost impossible, anyhow. Its all just some guys opinion of "reality."
You definately lean P. I, on the other hand, lean O.

Thank you for setting me straight cheese. I was trying to highlight that many confuse hope with opinion/analysis. I HOPE 22 players are good enough to make it to the NFL and we win all our games this year but I don't THINK that is very likely.

It's like people "think" our offense will be much better this year (not that it was terrible last year or anything) but they are most likely confusing think with hope.

I hope you don't think I'm a moron!

5 of those 7 you named were defensive players. Furthermore, do you really consider Dwyer to be "in" the NFL? 6th round as a gamble/project and a couple of preseason carries...

2008: 3552 yards rushing for 32 TD, 1290 passing for 5 TD
2010: 4203 yards rushing for 31 TD, 1091 passing for 9 TD

So we put up 8 more TDs in 2010 than we did in 2008, but we had 3 fewer wins. You don't need 5 NFL players on defense to win with our offense as it is now. You need a mediocre defense, you need fewer ST mistakes, and you need to control the turnovers. FWIW we threw exactly as many INT in 2008 as we did in 2010. Our ST allowed 2 touchdowns (1 punt and 1 KO) in 2010 as opposed to 0 in 2008. Our turnover margin differential between 2008 and 2010 was -0.61 (which is enormous).

If we had our offensive numbers from 2010 with 2008's defense we would absolutely win the ACC and probably go undefeated in the regular season with either season's schedule. We don't need that much in order to get to 9-3 by any stretch.

5 of those 7 you named were defensive players. Furthermore, do you really consider Dwyer to be "in" the NFL? 6th round as a gamble/project and a couple of preseason carries...

2008: 3552 yards rushing for 32 TD, 1290 passing for 5 TD
2010: 4203 yards rushing for 31 TD, 1091 passing for 9 TD

So we put up 8 more TDs in 2010 than we did in 2008, but we had 3 fewer wins. You don't need 5 NFL players on defense to win with our offense as it is now. You need a mediocre defense, you need fewer ST mistakes, and you need to control the turnovers. FWIW we threw exactly as many INT in 2008 as we did in 2010. Our ST allowed 2 touchdowns (1 punt and 1 KO) in 2010 as opposed to 0 in 2008. Our turnover margin differential between 2008 and 2010 was -0.61 (which is enormous).

If we had our offensive numbers from 2010 with 2008's defense we would absolutely win the ACC and probably go undefeated in the regular season with either season's schedule. We don't need that much in order to get to 9-3 by any stretch.

I don't know why I have such a hard time believing 2010 was better than 2008, offensively. I was miserable watching last year's offense yet somehow I remember 2008 as being much more exciting...maybe because it was new? Or I'm probably mixing 2009 memories into 2008. How much better was 09? Hard to believe there were so many more rushing yards, but I bet that is largely due to the ABs finally stepping up.

I don't know why I have such a hard time believing 2010 was better than 2008, offensively. I was miserable watching last year's offense yet somehow I remember 2008 as being much more exciting...maybe because it was new?

I think it's because timing and perception were key in both seasons. Perception in 2008 was that we would suck. We did essentially suck, but our defense was good enough to keep our offense on the field long enough to overcome that. We had some playmakers and some plays that people weren't used to defending and everyone was essentially overlooking us the entire season. The bread landed butter up all over the field and we looked way better than we were. That and we had alot of sudden huge plays that made for a spectacular highlight reel.

Perception in 2010 was that we'd be okay and probably about as good as we were in 2009 with a little drop from losing 4 super talented players at the same time. Everyone expected us to be in the ACC talks until the very end. We did about what we were expected to by the numbers, but we absolutely lost control of alot of games at the critical moments. When we'd usually have a big play to stay in it or win it in 2008/2009, we had an interception, a fumble, or a dropped kick that sealed the deal in the other direction in 2010. We had too many wasted opportunities in every single game by offense and special teams, and we had to put our season on the shoulders of the unit that should have been least prepared to bear that burden: the defense in year 1 of Groh. We got dirt all over our butter last season, even though we had more butter, so it didn't seem nearly as good.

We should see a wild swing in the other direction this season. Our defense is returning guys who played well, and starting guys who have great potential, we're in year 2 with Groh, and almost every one of our major opponents is going to be trying to breaking in new guys at key positions AND playing us at home. Our defense should give our team the break it needs to convert the 5000-6000 total yards and 40+ TDs it will inevitably gain into wins this time.

'least that's the way I see it.

this season will be more like 1989 than 1990. Next season will be more like 1990 than 1991.

I gauge all seasons against these 3 different types.

I do not expect to have a horrible year, i feel we win 7-9 games. I just dont believe CPJ will falter that much. Take away the Nesbitt injury and we would have at least won 8 games last year.

I think it's because timing and perception were key in both seasons. Perception in 2008 was that we would suck. We did essentially suck, but our defense was good enough to keep our offense on the field long enough to overcome that. We had some playmakers and some plays that people weren't used to defending and everyone was essentially overlooking us the entire season. The bread landed butter up all over the field and we looked way better than we were. That and we had alot of sudden huge plays that made for a spectacular highlight reel.

Perception in 2010 was that we'd be okay and probably about as good as we were in 2009 with a little drop from losing 4 super talented players at the same time. Everyone expected us to be in the ACC talks until the very end. We did about what we were expected to by the numbers, but we absolutely lost control of alot of games at the critical moments. When we'd usually have a big play to stay in it or win it in 2008/2009, we had an interception, a fumble, or a dropped kick that sealed the deal in the other direction in 2010. We had too many wasted opportunities in every single game by offense and special teams, and we had to put our season on the shoulders of the unit that should have been least prepared to bear that burden: the defense in year 1 of Groh. We got dirt all over our butter last season, even though we had more butter, so it didn't seem nearly as good.

We should see a wild swing in the other direction this season. Our defense is returning guys who played well, and starting guys who have great potential, we're in year 2 with Groh, and almost every one of our major opponents is going to be trying to breaking in new guys at key positions AND playing us at home. Our defense should give our team the break it needs to convert the 5000-6000 total yards and 40+ TDs it will inevitably gain into wins this time.

'least that's the way I see it.

Dang Cage, good analysis...you almost convinced me to be optimistic...almost, I'm going to have to see it first. I still think 7-5 is a decent 2011 with 8-4 being great but expect much more in 2012.

I don't know why I have such a hard time believing 2010 was better than 2008, offensively. I was miserable watching last year's offense yet somehow I remember 2008 as being much more exciting...maybe because it was new? Or I'm probably mixing 2009 memories into 2008. How much better was 09? Hard to believe there were so many more rushing yards, but I bet that is largely due to the ABs finally stepping up.

2008 was PAINFUL at times - I remember having to take long breaks (thank you DVR!) during the VT, BC, and Clemson games because our offense looked so bad. VT, iirc, was the our offense doesn't work so let's just let Nesbitt run. There were a LOT of growing pains in 2008. Through the Uva game we hadn't really impressed yet against a quality opponent. The only three exciting games were FSU, Miami, and uga (and I don't count MSU bc they were a bottom dweller at the time).

And 2010 is hard to judge because there was a lot of frustration with turnovers and some frustration with defense. Our D in 2008 was the last good (maybe decent) D we've had - an offense is easier to appear exciting when you win 21-17 (Clemson), 19-16 (BC), or 27-0 (Duke) than when you lose by getting outscored by the other team (25-28 (Kansas), 28-45 (NCSt), 21-28 (VT), or 34-42 (uga)).

2008 was PAINFUL at times - The only three exciting games were FSU, Miami, and uga (and I don't count MSU bc they were a bottom dweller at the time).

Yeah, I guess you are right and those 3 exciting games were an excitement overload after the 5 years of Gailey and I think they singed good memories into my head that overtook the bad ones...and Dwyer's bad ass runs helped a lot.

If the defense is better than last year....and I think it will be...8 regular season wins is easily obtainable.

Back