The prospect of an awful 2011 season

Helluva, Helluva, Helluva......

That statement is reduntantly redundant.

Hope is optimism. Nobody hopes pessimistically. That would be an oxymoron like jumbo shrimp or intelligent gagger fan.

I'd say you fit in with the majority of GT online football fans, you hope for the best but expect the worst. Looking at things realistically is almost impossible, anyhow. Its all just some guys opinion of "reality."
You definately lean P. I, on the other hand, lean O.

Who says nobody hopes pessimistically?

I am probably to optimistic and see things through blinded eyes due to my love for Tech football. I think our defense will be a top 25 defense this year. Yes there is alot of youth there, but they were there last year learning. We should be better of front and at linebacker. That being said I will not comment much on the offense. They will sputter early and eventually find some consistancy. The defense will make the offense look better than it is. I think we could win around 9 games. The cupcake start is exactly what we need this year. Kansas isn't that good, but us winning that game is the hinge on good or bad season as it was last year.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

8-4, 2008-type season. A solid 7 as far as seasons go.

I just hope UGA is one of the 8 and not one of the 4. At this point, I would give up losses to Clemson, VPI and Miami in exchange for a UGA win.

Wow, that's a lot. But I agree, at least for this year.

And I would always trade at least one ACC loss for an UGA win until the series is even.

Of course, it is all hypothetical and we never get to make those trades. But I would feel better about an UGA win and three ACC losses than an undefeated ACC season with an UGA loss.

I am probably to optimistic and see things through blinded eyes due to my love for Tech football. I think our defense will be a top 25 defense this year. Yes there is alot of youth there, but they were there last year learning. We should be better of front and at linebacker. That being said I will not comment much on the offense. They will sputter early and eventually find some consistancy. The defense will make the offense look better than it is. I think we could win around 9 games. The cupcake start is exactly what we need this year. Kansas isn't that good, but us winning that game is the hinge on good or bad season as it was last year.

I don't know if we can crack top 25 in defense yet this year, but if we can improve to top 40 and can get our offense to be somewhat consistent and reduce critical turnovers then I could see 8-9 wins. Going into the season with so many critical Offensive slots being uncertain then I think this may be an optimistic but somewhat satisfying record. I also desperately want to see improvement in special teams, and if we can improve there it might be worth one extra win.

I really would like to be able to get at least one win between Ugag and a bowl game but for me then Ugag would be the preferred win if we only get one of those.

Can someone post where we finished on the defensive side in terms of ranking for last year?

A need for improved special teams play seems to be a consistent theme and I most definitely agree. But when was the last time we felt like special teams was a strength? The early Chan years? Ever? Seems like it has always been a problem for a while. Is it lack of depth, poor coaching or what?

Do we even have a ST coach or is CPJ still overseeing it?

That has got to be one of the worst ways to lose a game.

A need for improved special teams play seems to be a consistent theme and I most definitely agree. But when was the last time we felt like special teams was a strength? The early Chan years? Ever? Seems like it has always been a problem for a while. Is it lack of depth, poor coaching or what?

Do we even have a ST coach or is CPJ still overseeing it?

That has got to be one of the worst ways to lose a game.

Only a gimmicky coach like Beamer would consider ST a strength. You don't go into a game going "We'll get a KO RET for TD and a bunch of 50 yard punt returns and that's how we'll win it because our ST is a strength!"

Strong special teams is about NOT screwing up the game. I think our ST was pretty dang good in 2008 fwiw, and we had a couple of epic returns in 2009 but those are mostly an opponent's mistake being punished by a sharp player. It's too rare to create those scenarios on your own and impose them on an opponent.

I think something in the 40's this year would be realistic. Probably too much youth to really hope for top 25...maybe next year though.

I think we'll be inbetween the 40 and 25 range. We'd naturally be about the 40, but our opponents similar inexperience will lend a helping hand to our defensive numbers. It'll also look slightly better on the defensive side if we stop giving away possessions and start winning the TOP battle again.

Only a gimmicky coach like Beamer would consider ST a strength. You don't go into a game going "We'll get a KO RET for TD and a bunch of 50 yard punt returns and that's how we'll win it because our ST is a strength!"

Strong special teams is about NOT screwing up the game. I think our ST was pretty dang good in 2008 fwiw, and we had a couple of epic returns in 2009 but those are mostly an opponent's mistake being punished by a sharp player. It's too rare to create those scenarios on your own and impose them on an opponent.

Good point. You are just full of wisdom today.

This is false. Our special teams struggled in 2008. In fact they just sucked. Very comparable to 2011.

This is false. Our special teams struggled in 2008. In fact they just sucked. Very comparable to 2011.

The highlighted phrase is correct. It is, in fact, what I think. The scales by which you and I judge special teams are a little different, but the important numbers for me (points allowed, turnovers) were 0. Right where they needed to be. We may not have returned it the furthest or kept the other guy inside his 20 on every ST play, but unlike in 2010, we didn't give away any possessions or points. I'd take 2008 special teams over 2010 special teams 8 days a week.

The highlighted phrase is correct. It is, in fact, what I think. The scales by which you and I judge special teams are a little different, but the important numbers for me (points allowed, turnovers) were 0. Right where they needed to be. We may not have returned it the furthest or kept the other guy inside his 20 on every ST play, but unlike in 2010, we didn't give away any possessions or points. I'd take 2008 special teams over 2010 special teams 8 days a week.

Do you remember the Chick-fil-a bowl?

We gave LSU 3 possessions in a row on special teams failures almost as bad as the Independence bowl.

Our returns were terrible, and our kicking game was pretty sorry. Remember when we all wanted Scott Blair to move to Alaska and become an ice fisherman? I remember.

But we did not flat out give the ball away on fumbles. I'll give you that.

We gave LSU 3 possessions in a row on special teams failures almost as bad as the Independence bowl.

Our returns were terrible, and our kicking game was pretty sorry. Remember when we all wanted Scott Blair to move to Alaska and become an ice fisherman? I remember.

Thanks for the reminder of that cluster. One breakthrough that I would like to see for our ST on returns is to actually return a kickoff for a TD for us, not the opponent. Despite the loss of Nesbitt in the VPI game last year we still might have won that if we had not given up the kickoff return for a TD.

I think that we came close with Orwin a couple of years back but I believe that it has been something like 20 years since GT has had a kickoff returned for a TD.

I remember us having an impossible time ctaching punts that year. I think we started with Melton then went to Roddy and then to Andrew Smith at the end? I think Smith had a big muff or 2(?) in the Peach. Somebody fumbled one inside the 20 late against UNC and Melton for the most part didn't even try to catch punts after muffing one of his first few.

ST as a whole have been piss poor under CPJ, that is one area I'd like to see him put a little more emphasis on - like hiring a ST coach.

ST as a whole have been piss poor under CPJ, that is one area I'd like to see him put a little more emphasis on - like hiring a ST coach.

Not having a full slate of scholarship players probably had something to do with that.

We gave LSU hella points off of special teams. When you give the other team the ball deep in your territory and they score with a 20 yard drive, that's giving up points. Otherwise, under your flawed logic, you could give up a 90 yard return to inside your 10 every kickoff and still have your 0 "important" number. Your scale is broke.

Yeah, I guess you are right and those 3 exciting games were an excitement overload after the 5 years of Gailey and I think they singed good memories into my head that overtook the bad ones...and Dwyer's bad ass runs helped a lot.

Tru. Although to be fair, beating FSU and uga and pounding the absolute crap out of Miami same season would excite me regardless of Gailey.

Back