The shuffle pass at the end….

I don’t think I we got much push at all today. In fact we were manhandled quite a bit in my opinion.
Is what it looked like to me as well. It's why I don't think there's much chance of getting a score running it 4 times in the red zone where the defense can bunch up like people have been calling for.

Mullen called a shovel pass at the end of their game with Bama, also.

I would have liked to see maybe Dontae in space on one of the 2 plays before that, or Yates rolling out but I guess he kinda did that on 1st down. But I can't complain too much. It was different, inventive.

Is what it looked like to me as well. It's why I don't think there's much chance of getting a score running it 4 times in the red zone where the defense can bunch up like people have been calling for.

We have to get better up front. OL play in the last 10 to 15 years has turned into a finesse game instead of coming off the ball and knocking someone backwards on their a$$

To me that's why you give Jordan, Gibbs, or mason the shot at making a play rather than deveney

idk, if our best shot is hoping a running back with no blocking makes a play inside the 5 then I don't think we have any hope.

Edit: like to elaborate, that sort of thing can work in the open field where the secondary is far away covering guys, but it just doesn't seem very hopeful within the 5

Mullen called a shovel pass at the end of their game with Bama, also.

I would have liked to see maybe Dontae in space on one of the 2 plays before that, or Yates rolling out but I guess he kinda did that on 1st down. But I can't complain too much. It was different, inventive.
It was there. We just flat out missed the block.

I’m not sure a 4th and goal shovel pass to the TE works for most most teams. I wasn’t big on the play call myself, seems like a high risk play for that situation but I understand why he may have gone with it given the man coverage in the end zone on earlier attempts. I would have pitched it to Smith or Mason over a TE myself

The reason PNode went with that playcall is that it negates Clemson's speed & pursuit advantage, and their pass rushing advantage

In order to get the ball to one of our "better" playmakers, we would have to hold pass blocking vs their DL Speed or make great 1on 1 blocks on the edge to spring them

With that Playcall PNode had a 6-6 320lbs OL with a clean shot at a smaller LB , Ryan Johnson could've leaned on the LB or fell on the LB and sealed him from making that Tackle

All those playcalls you are dreaming about to get the ball to Guys they were keying on anyway would have required us to out Athlete more of their players vs this quick hitting Andy Reid play

We have to learn to get all 11 guys to do their Job

I had no problem with the 4th n goal play call. As has been alluded to, if 70 just gets in front of the LB it’s a TD.
The play call I didn’t like was on 2nd down - the pitch/pass to McGowan. Then is when Mason or Gibbs should have gotten the ball.

The reason PNode went with that playcall is that it negates Clemson's speed & pursuit advantage, and their pass rushing advantage

In order to get the ball to one of our "better" playmakers, we would have to hold pass blocking vs their DL Speed or make great 1on 1 blocks on the edge to spring them

With that Playcall PNode had a 6-6 320lbs OL with a clean shot at a smaller LB , Ryan Johnson could've leaned on the LB or fell on the LB and sealed him from making that Tackle

All those playcalls you are dreaming about to get the ball to Guys they were keying on anyway would have required us to out Athlete more of their players vs this quick hitting Andy Reid play

We have to learn to get all 11 guys to do their Job

What play calls am I dreaming about? I think you may be misreading my post

I wanted Gibbs or Mason that whole stretch but those kind of plays are the ones where you look like a genius if it works and an idiot if it doesn't.

I had no problem with the 4th n goal play call. As has been alluded to, if 70 just gets in front of the LB it’s a TD.
The play call I didn’t like was on 2nd down - the pitch/pass to McGowan. Then is when Mason or Gibbs should have gotten the ball.

Yeah, that seemed like an ill-advised play. I was just glad McGowan managed to get out of bounds and get back to the LOS.

Our coaches completely blew the end of the first half and end of the game play calling. Absolutely horrible. Those were two TD’s for most teams. Clemson played like garbage and still won. I’m glad our players played hard but our coaches let them down. Gibbs was not a happy camper this game especially the last series. As someone else mentioned, year 3 and no jumbo package. We just line up in shotgun and throw passes out of the end zone.

Back