The shuffle pass at the end….

Our coaches completely blew the end of the first half and end of the game play calling. Absolutely horrible. Those were two TD’s for most teams. Clemson played like garbage and still won. I’m glad our players played hard but our coaches let them down. Gibbs was not a happy camper this game especially the last series. As someone else mentioned, year 3 and no jumbo package. We just line up in shotgun and throw passes out of the end zone.

There's always going to be second-guessing when you leave those points on the field, I get it, but it's not like Clemson is some sort of slouch defensively. Their offense is clearly down this year, but their defense is as good as ever.

Which is probably why you let your playmakers make a play rather than your averagish tight end
TE gets shoestring tackled a lot. I would have chosen Mason and told the offensive lineman in front of him: he scores or you lose your starting position
We are very weak on OL

Last edited:
TE get shoestring tackler a lot. I would have chosen Mason and told the offensive lineman in front of him: he scored or you lose your starting position
We are very week on OL
That would carry more threat if we had more people behind them....

That would carry more threat if we had more people behind them....
Yes I suppose you’re right
We do have some on the way
But it may be too late- most if those recruits are 3 years from playing

Just got too much depth while pulling. He was going to a spot, not hitting the first opposing jersey. Frustrating. I still don't hate THAT call. Between that and the missed screen, we had opportunities.

I think Yates could have walked it in on the left side on a few of those goal line plays

I don't have a problem with the playcall on the goal line. The real issue is that the game had come down to a hurried offense, an onside kick recovery, and we also would have needed a 2 point conversion, because we couldn't figure out how to get the ball down the field any faster than we did with 7 minutes left on the clock.

While scoring was imperative, the route we took to get there was a clown fiesta. I wholly believe Clemson was letting it happen to an extent because they figured we would mismanage the whole thing until 0:00. This same issue occurred before the half, and there was multiple times Clemson was able to get the replay booth to look at the film instead of us getting snaps off in time. I don't think that's on the players decision making, I think it's Pnude having his players ready.

We saw how the hurry up could gain us a 1st down or draw a penalty when we were ready to go. No reason not to expect that regularly.

Definitely a whole lot of mismanagement by our coaching staff. The 4th down call was horrible. When you have the stable of RB's we have at our disposal you should never run an end around play or shuffle pass to a so so TE. Our hurry up offense is terrible. It could be pretty good with Yates being such a heady kid but we seem ill prepared on the sidelines to succeed. We seem always confused with the use of our time management. Our punter put our defense in bad position the whole game. I was overall pleased with the effort by our team but Clemson is weaker than it has been in sometime on offense.

I think Yates could have walked it in on the left side on a few of those goal line plays
Well why didn't he?

If he's gonna get lauded for making better reads than our other QB , then he actually has to make them when a scoring chance is in front of him

I was a little upset with how cautious he was on that 7 min final drive, he didn't seem to play with the Tempo and urgency necessary

We got the onside kick, but that doesn't excuse the pedestrian 2-minute drill

There's some things that I see that others aren't seeing, but I'll hold on to those until after the UNC Game

There was no way one of the backs was getting to the EZ on a conventional play with the horrible o line blocking we have. That’s the entire reason for the shovel pass - to move the play in one direction then abruptly attempt to exploit the weak side behind the flow of the play with what was basically a 1 on 1 block. Our guy missed his block and the guy who was catching in small space got hit nearly immediately. That doesn’t make the play call bad.

There was no way one of the backs was getting to the EZ on a conventional play with the horrible o line blocking we have. That’s the entire reason for the shovel pass - to move the play in one direction then abruptly attempt to exploit the weak side behind the flow of the play with what was basically a 1 on 1 block. Our guy missed his block and the guy who was catching in small space got hit nearly immediately. That doesn’t make the play call bad.
Hopefully our Fans (not you the guy you're replying to) will evolve and cease with blaming the QB, blaming the OC, then blaming the HC instead of analyzing why a play fails or refuses to analyzes why a Player failed to make a Play in a certain critical situation

If I'm on the Coaching Staff - #70 Ryan Johnson would never play again, I'd rather go with a Young Player and build for the future, those snaps invested in an upperclassman like Johnson aren't helping us win this year, we might as well use those snaps as an investment in next year's team

Time to develop the younger players

Hopefully our Fans (not you the guy you're replying to) will evolve and cease with blaming the QB, blaming the OC, then blaming the HC instead of analyzing why a play fails or refuses to analyzes why a Player failed to make a Play in a certain critical situation

If I'm on the Coaching Staff - #70 Ryan Johnson would never play again, I'd rather go with a Young Player and build for the future, those snaps invested in an upperclassman like Johnson aren't helping us win this year, we might as well use those snaps as an investment in next year's team

Time to develop the younger players
I’m not sure I’d go that far. One because it’s a single play. Two we don’t really have the depth behind him to do it. But he completely whiffed on that play - you can tell by how he’s standing at the end of the play making “what happened” gestures with his hands. But that’s how our O line play is and why I’m not screaming about Coach P. There are tons of plays where a whiffed block, a dropped pass or a horrible throw have cost us points, big yards, or a crucial first down.

Our OL has been terrible for so long that I have a hard time harshly judging individuals. I really am tired of the spinning around to watch your responsibility make the tackle pirouette move that our guys have perfected. At least go hit someone else if you're going to miss your assignment.

Lol at you morons who think we should have lined up from the 3 yard line and tried to blow the best DL in football off the ball. Did you even watch the game? We were not going to move those hogs back.

the shovel works if we get the block. And it was actually a play we set up earlier in the game when we ran option left.

if Yates is the guy moving forward, i do wonder if we should consider a few goal line sets for Sims. He would be an added physical threat on short yardage

It looked to me that the LB for Clemson made an incredible read. I’m not sure what he saw but he adjusted his path before it was clear to be a shuffle pass. Good defenses are disciplined and that LB was there.

The Falcons used this play quite successfully whenever they were having problems running on the goal line.

It was a good play call.

The only quibble I have with our OC is the lack of communication/getting plays called in a timely fashion.

Back