The Top-40 Players of the Coach Paul Johnson Era -- w/ Highlights, Stats, and Facts

southendzoneBEE

Gailey-Like
#40: Tevin Washington (2008-2012)
After beating USC

What Tevin did best- Score touchdowns

Probably Tevins biggest moment on the flats

Tevin didn't have a strong arm, but was decently accurate as shown on the first play of this game. Also has a 60 yard run in this highlight and probably one of his best offensive games.

Tevin scores the game winning TD at 1:35

Washington amassed over 5500 yards of offense and scored 59 touchdowns in his seasons on the flats. Along with leading the ACC in rushing touchdowns in 2011 and 2012, Tevin is 12th on the all time ACC touchdowns list. This kid really knew how to find the endzone.

updated- Since i've been adding career rankings to the more recent postings, I figured I'd at least go back and give Tevin the cred he deserves for being so high in the record books

Honors
2011 Maxwell Award Watch List
2011 Rivals' ACC Player of the Week (Oct. 31)

In The ACC Record Books
1st - career rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (38)
1st - season rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (20 in 2012)
3rd - career rushing yards by an ACC quarterback (2,225)

In The Tech Record Books
1st - career rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (38)
1st - season rushing touchdowns (20 in 2012)
1st - season rushing touchdowns by a quarterback (20 in 2012)
1st - season touchdowns (20 in 2012)
1st - season points scored (120 in 2012)
2nd - career rushing touchdowns (38)
2nd - career touchdowns (38)
2nd - career rushing yards by a quarterback (2,225)
2nd - season rushing yards by a quarterback (986 in 2011)
2nd - season pass efficiency (155.4 in 2011)
2nd - season touchdowns responsible for (28 in 2012)
3rd - career pass efficiency (142.8)
4th - career touchdowns responsible for (59)
6th - career total offense (5,537)
6th - career scoring (228)
8th - career rushing attempts (542)
8th - career passing yards (3,312)
9th - career touchdown passes (21)
11th - career rushing yards (2,225)
12th - career 100-yard rushing games (7)
15th - career pass completions (175)
15th - career pass attempts (345)

Last edited:
#39: Deon Hill (2010-2014)
Probably Deon's biggest play on the flats;

Even though we lost this game:

This is what Deon did best on the flats!

Closeup of Deon scoring on a pitch vs. Elon:

Scoring vs. Western Carolina, showing off his toughness:

Deon played in every Georgia Tech game from 2011-2014, with the exception of four games he missed in 2013 when he had a small bout with Crohns disease. Even though he only ran the ball 54 times for 396 yards in his career, it seemed like he was creating touchdown after touchdown after touchdown with his awesome blocking. I would definitely say Deon has been the best non OL blocker under CPJ. He was in almost every play, and even though he didn't get to put up the flashy numbers, he worked his ass off and contributed more than the average fan would ever know. With that being said, he was still a damn good runner. He averaged 7.3 YPC in his career including averaging over 9 YPC in his Junior year. He became a threat in the passing game in 2014, catching 10 passes for 178 yards, and IIRC most of them were third down conversions and game winners. Hell, 2 of his 18 career receptions gave us the lead with under a minute in the fourth quarter. I do not think it is a coincidence that our blocking was so bad in 2015, and I would venture to say our 3-9 record was partially the result of not having this guy on our team.

#38: Mario Butler (2007-2010)
Interception vs. Boston College

At 1:25 in this video you see a nice open field TFL by Butler. At 2:20 is his 85 yard interception that turned the tide in this otherwise lose-able Duke game. This was the only video I could find of it. They were driving to go up two scores when he made this play

At 1:33 in this video he makes a huge interception on Kyle Parker. It ended up being a huge play in the game:

at 3:40 in this video he makes the game-ending interception in Mississippi St.

Makes a tackle at 1:20 and a huge tackle for loss at 1:43

Mario Butler started every game for Georgia Tech in Paul Johnson's first three seasons, and played in 12 games as a true freshman in 2007 for Coach Gailey. With 136 career tackles, 24 TFL's, and 12 pass breakups Mario Butler paced an otherwise weak defensive backfield for the Jackets. If you go through highlight videos from 2008-2010, I guarantee you will find open field tackles, big interceptions, and a lot of hustle plays. Mario Butler was the beginning of a good string of Cornerbacks for us and a few more will be highlighted later on in this list.

Last edited:
This.

Tevin is second only to JT5 in his execution of this offense. Had he JfN's size and/or the talent around him that JT5 possessed, Tevin would have taken us to a natty. He's easily top 10 and probably top 5, IMO.

Agree, there's no way Tevin should be #40 on this list.

Agree, there's no way Tevin should be #40 on this list.

Looking at my list, There is no way Tevin cracks the top 30. Think long and hard about the players since 2008 and truly consider if Tevin is one of the 10 or even 20 best. Spoiler- he isn't. I actually didn't even have him in my top 40 originally.

#37: Robbie Godhigh (2009-2013)
2013 highlights

2012 highlights

Clemson 2013 highlights

ACC MustC highlight of his catch vs. UNC

Nice catch vs. VT

Robbie Godhigh is the epitome of hard work and determination. He climbed from being a walk-on true freshman to finishing inside the three deep all-ACC team as a Senior. Godhigh's senior year was probably one of the best dual threat stat book you will ever see: 79 carries for 744 yards, averaging a whopping 9.4 yards a carry and 7 TDS. Through the air Godhigh was just as dangerous catching 23 passes for 471 yards, average of 20.5. He also added 2 reception touchdowns. He ended his career 35th on GT's all-time rushing charts and top 25 in touchdowns. Godhigh almost finished with 2000 yards from scrimmage, pretty much all compiled in his last two seasons. Had he played more in his first two seasons he would probably be way up this list.

Just now getting off of work, going to try and get them all done later today and through the night. Tevin is not one of the best 10 or even 20 players Paul Johnson has had on his teams. Just because he was the quarterback for three seasons doesn't automatically give him that sanction.

Just now getting off of work, going to try and get them all done later today and through the night. Tevin is not one of the best 10 or even 20 players Paul Johnson has had on his teams. Just because he was the quarterback for three seasons doesn't automatically give him that sanction.
You're wrong. He should be ranked above what you have so far.

SEB is probably right...I'm running through all of the great players we've had over the last 9 years and there's more than you think...I don't know if he's 40 but he's not top 10

SEB is probably right...I'm running through all of the great players we've had over the last 9 years and there's more than you think...I don't know if he's 40 but he's not top 10

He may make a case for 26-28. I probably didn't give him enough credit. he definitely doesn't snif the top 15

This.

Tevin is second only to JT5 in his execution of this offense. Had he JfN's size and/or the talent around him that JT5 possessed, Tevin would have taken us to a natty. He's easily top 10 and probably top 5, IMO.
1) tevin was the same size/weight as jn. Perception is based off how they carried themselves respectively, especially in critical moments. JN just played more tough in those situations.

2) I'm going to give SEB benefit of the doubt that giving tevin #40 was because of his performance that one time he wore it.

Back