The Top-40 Players of the Coach Paul Johnson Era -- w/ Highlights, Stats, and Facts

Tevin should be ranked above Hill and Godhigh.

Regarding the QB position I do think he is third out of the 3 that will be on this list.

I really do not agree that Tevin should be very much higher. Sure, he could be mixed in with some of these guys so far... But while he was a good QB because of his ability to read defenses/run the option, he just didn't have the speed or strength to carry us like JfN or JT5 did (he DID have size, he was only an inch shorter and about 10 pounds lighter than JfN)

He led us to some good wins, probably some wins we shouldn't have pulled out. But he also lost us some games, if you don't remember. And if not blatantly, he lost us other games because he just didn't have the athleticism or arm strength to adapt and do what it took to win. He, at times, was benched for Vad Lee in his senior season, so...

I have a ton of respect for him and he definitely made the most out of his ability, but that's not really what this list is about.

Looking at my list, There is no way Tevin cracks the top 30. Think long and hard about the players since 2008 and truly consider if Tevin is one of the 10 or even 20 best. Spoiler- he isn't. I actually didn't even have him in my top 40 originally.

I appreciate your efforts, and once your list is complete, I'll tell you where you're wrong and where Tevin should be.

Do please continue.

Only #1, JT5, should be without a doubt. Now get on with it

#36: Julian Burnett (2009-2011)
At :36 seconds J.B. completely lights up a Jax St. running back. This was his first career game

At 1:58 Julian Burnett causes a huge fumble vs. Virginia Tech

Burnett stuffs the runner at :30 -- 1:49 Burnett assists on a FF

Burnett forces a fumble at 1:12

J.B. gets jiggy in his 2011 defense intro vid

Julian Burnett was an easy choice for this list, even with only playing three years. A neck injury sustained in the 2011 Sun Bowl cut his career a year short, but his statistics from 2009-2011 certainly make up for the missed season. He led the team in tackles as a Sophomore and Junior with 89 and 120 respectively. He ended his career with 250 tackles and was third in the ACC in 2011 with his 120 tackles. Burnett was Second team All-ACC in 2011 as well. With a whopping 10 games of 10 tackles or more, JB recorded at least 2.0 tackles in every game he appeared except for tw0.

Only #1, JT5, should be without a doubt. Now get on with it
I love JT5 as much as the next guy... but you gonna let QB-centrism take over this entire list? I think it's fair to say that players like Morgan Burnett and Demaryius Thomas were better *at their positions* relative to their peers than JT5.

I'm reminded, for example, that when we went into the VT game last year, I thought we were dead meat because JT5 wasn't playing. Then Matthew played well, and suddenly it didn't seem like that big of a drop off. But imagine if we'd needed a 53 yd FG to tie the game and Butker were injured. The next player in line was 20% as good as Butker (or whatever). The next player behind JT5 was 70% (or whatever) as good.

EDIT: That's not to say that JT5 wasn't the most important or most valuable player of CPJ's tenure, just by virtue of his excellence and his position. But straight out 'best player'? I'm not sure.

Last edited:
#35: Clinton Lynch (2014-Current)

Every big play from Clinton in 2016 is in this vid-

Clinton Lynch is the first active player to make the list. He will certainly move up the ranks, as he is going into his junior year. After redshirting in 2014 Clinton made a huge impression in 2015 with 457 rush yards, 267 receiving yards, and eight total touchdowns. Last season Clinton only got better with 415 rush yards, a whopping 490 receiving yards, and 8 touchdowns again (6 receiving). The averages are where Clinton really impresses, with 10.3 yards per carry and 28.. YES 28 yards per catch. That is with 27 catches. Incredible. Clinton has yet to amass 100 yards rushing or receiving in a single game, but has combined for over 100 yards 6 times. His best game was arguably vs. Vanderbilt last season. 3 rushes for 77 yards and 2 catches for 87 yards. Vs. the Dawgs in his two seasons, he has 12 carries for 137 yards and a TD along with 2 receptions for 31 yards. So basically 12 yards a touch vs. the dawgs.

Last edited:
#36: Julian Burnett (2009-2011)
At :36 seconds J.B. completely lights up a Jax St. running back. This was his first career game

At 1:58 Julian Burnett causes a huge fumble vs. Virginia Tech

Burnett stuffs the runner at :30 -- 1:49 Burnett assists on a FF

Burnett forces a fumble at 1:12

J.B. gets jiggy in his 2011 defense intro vid

Julian Burnett was an easy choice for this list, even with only playing three years. A neck injury sustained in the 2011 Sun Bowl cut his career a year short, but his statistics from 2009-2011 certainly make up for the missed season. He led the team in tackles as a Sophomore and Junior with 89 and 120 respectively. He ended his career with 250 tackles and was third in the ACC in 2011 with his 120 tackles. Burnett was Second team All-ACC in 2011 as well. With a whopping 10 games of 10 tackles or more, JB recorded at least 2.0 tackles in every game he appeared except for tw0.

JB40 was possibly my favorite person in the CPJ era. Kid clearly left it all on the field. The thing we did in 2012 to honor him with the jersey rotation was next-level class.

Side note, made the mistake of watching those 2011 VPI game highlights. Had forgotten how infuriating that evening was. Zero reason for us to lose that game. Combo of Al Groh, Logan Thomas, and a single boneheaded play from Sneezy was enough to undo us.

#34: Synjyn Days (2010-2014)

If you needed a reminder of how awesome of a guy Synjyn Days is-

Synjyn Days as a Quarterback starting at 2:12

An easy pick for this list, Synjyn Days played in 39 games for the Jackests from 2011-2014. As a RS Freshman in 2011, Synjyn was a quarterback. A very accurate quarterback at that, going 8/12 for 198 yards in his limited action. In 2012 and 2013, Days only carried the ball 50 times and was not a huge weapon for the Jackets. But something clicked right before the Pittsburgh game in his Senior year. Just look at the numbers:

Before the 8th game (Pittsburgh) in his senior year, Days had a combined 113 carries for 553 yards in his career. For the last 7 games of his career, Synjyn ran the ball 143 times for 835 yards, propelling him from seldom used back-up bback to 2nd team all-ACC running back. In his career, he ended with 1398 yards and 18 touchdowns. But it was the last 835 that put him on this list.

Back