They scored 38 points before we got the ball

Roof couldn’t succeed at factories. Why do you think he’ll be successful at a place like Tech?

His philosophy doesn't and can’t work at Tech.

Why are you being like this? MNC at Auburn is not succeeding?
Despite the difficult conditions of the program, Roof led the defense to rank second in the Big Ten Conference in scoring defense, led the league in sacks, ranked first in red-zone defense and third in turnover margin. Nationally, Penn State ranked tied for first in red-zone defense, 15th in sacks,[14] 16th in scoring defense,[15] 23rd in rushing defense, 28th in pass efficiency defense and 29th in total defense.

I don't know if he can be successful at Tech. I don't know if CPJ can be successful at Tech either; but I'm not going to argue he can't coach or his philosophy is the problem. I don't know if anyone can be successful at Tech under current conditions.

Cam Newton won that title. He gets and deserves zero credit for having NFL level talent and fielding a mid tier ranked defense.

Come on. We know he can’t be successful at Tech. He’s had two tries at various points in his career. Both have similar terrible, near historic levels of suck.

Cam Newton won that title. He gets and deserves zero credit for having NFL level talent and fielding a mid tier ranked defense.

Come on. We know he can’t be successful at Tech. He’s had two tries at various points in his career. Both have similar terrible, near historic levels of suck.
I do remember thinking: If only Joe had a defense...

He can be successful here. All we need is about 5 Shaq Masons, Joe or Joshua at QB, pick two of: Dwyer, Laskey, Days, Allen, Choice, and others, and a stable of WRs like Megatron, Hill, and Thomas on offense and we are set.

We would certainly win a Natty with that Roof defense.

He can be successful here. All we need is about 5 Shaq Masons, Joe or Joshua at QB, pick two of: Dwyer, Laskey, Days, Allen, Choice, and others, and a stable of WRs like Megatron, Hill, and Thomas on offense and we are set.

We would certainly win a Natty with that Roof defense.

If we had half of that we would probably score more than 7 points in 6 quarters.

Wommack had some pretty good years at Ole Miss after he was canned. Roof did well in his limited time at Penn State.

I won't shed any tears if we fire Roof, but I also recognize that we have problems on defense that have been around for basically CPJ's entire tenure. It's not like things were great and then we lost our DC to a head coaching position or something. We're cycling through DCs who supposedly suck yet manage to do alright at other places.

It’s poking yet another hole in the ludicrous defense of Roof spending another second as Tech’s DC.

That’s the company line when you question him.

“He’s a good (great) recruiter”

Can you really look at our roster and find a playmaker on D? Those two conclusions don’t jive.
Do you live in a parallel universe? He has NO talent to wirk with . How is that all his fault?

Why are you being like this? MNC at Auburn is not succeeding?

Auburn is my #2 team and I watched every Auburn game in 2010. Auburn's defense was really bad that year, and Auburn won a national championship in spite of Roof. The only game they played well defensively was the national championship game against Oregon. Roof deserves credit for that game, but not for Auburn making it there. If we had Cam Newton playing QB we wouldn't be complaining about the defense either.

Arkansas State W 52–26
Mississippi State W 17–14
Clemson* W 27–24 OT
No. 12 South Carolina W 35–27
Louisiana–Monroe* W 52–3
Kentucky W 37–34
No. 12 Arkansas W 65–43
No. 6 LSU W 24–17
Ole Miss W 51–31
(FCS) Chattanooga W 62–24
Georgia W 49–31
No. 9 Alabama W 28–27
No. 18 South Carolina W 56–17
No. 2 Oregon* W 22–19

Compare those numbers to Auburn's current season...

Last edited:
Auburn is my #2 team and I watched every Auburn game in 2010. Auburn's defense was really bad that year, and Auburn won a national championship in spite of Roof. The only game they played well defensively was the national championship game against Oregon. Roof deserves credit for that game, but not for Auburn making it there. If we had Cam Newton playing QB we wouldn't be complaining about the defense either.

How did Auburn do after they fired Roof?

I agree, if we had a good offense we would be getting ready for a bowl game rather than arguing about who should be fired.

Do you live in a parallel universe? He has NO talent to wirk with . How is that all his fault?

We’re officially going in circles here.

He can’t coach (he’s the LB position coach, if you’re not aware) or scheme a Defense well.

He also can’t recruit, even though he’s got that “good recruiter” label thrown on him for some stupid reason. We have such pathetic defensive talent, right?

What the öööö is he still doing as our DC then?

Again I ask, what do people who think the offense and defense are equally to blame want to happen? Paul Johnson is not getting fired this year, it's just not going to happen. So what other than that do you think should happen?

If you want to say the offense didn’t do us any favors this season you’d be right, but I will say this in reply:

Our season got to a point where our pre-game stat shown in the booth was how many leads we blew in the 4th quarter

We’re officially going in circles here.

He can’t coach (he’s the LB position coach, if you’re not aware) or scheme a Defense well.

He also can’t recruit, even though he’s got that “good recruiter” label thrown on him for some stupid reason. We have such pathetic defensive talent, right?

What the öööö is he still doing as our DC then?
Teams like UGA simply overwhelm the 2 star players he has. Do you think that is all on him, or does his HC and his archaic systen bear any responsibility?

Teams like UGA simply overwhelm the 2 star players he has. Do you think that is all on him, or does his HC and his archaic systen bear any responsibility?

You mean the same level of talent the OC has used with sustained success through either scheme or teaching/coaching?

The school is hard as balls to recruit. I know this fact. That should show up against the Clemson and UGA’s of the world. It does; however, our scheme on D is asking 2-star athletes to go toe-to-toe with 4 and 5 star players on a level playing field. That’s insane. We specially do something different on O for that reason.

Now, there are also programs within our zip code of recruiting rankings that still out produce our D’s results. Why? What’s left to blame or understand why we continually struggle? Why is it so ghastly for some of you to just buck up and admit what your eyes are telling you?

He can’t scheme. He can’t teach. He’s not a recruiting commodity.

He’s a Tech man who you guys either grew up cheering for or simply have fond memories of as a player. Either way, that’s garbage, imo.

You mean the same level of talent the OC has used with sustained success through either scheme or teaching/coaching?

The school is hard as balls to recruit. I know this fact. That should show up against the Clemson and UGA’s of the world. It does; however, our scheme on D is asking 2-star athletes to go toe-to-toe with 4 and 5 star players on a level playing field. That’s insane. We specially do something different on O for that reason.

Now, there are also programs within our zip code of recruiting rankings that still out produce our D’s results. Why? What’s left to blame or understand why we continually struggle? Why is it so ghastly for some of you to just buck up and admit what your eyes are telling you?

He’s a Tech man who you guys either grew up cheering for or simply have fond memories of as a player. Either way, that’s garbage, imo.
Sorry,but you want to believe something that just isn't true. You are asking a guy to play with inferior players and out scheme teams with better players. Ain't gonna happen

Sorry,but you want to believe something that just isn't true. You are asking a guy to play with inferior players and out scheme teams with better players. Ain't gonna happen

I know. Ted sucks so it’s not going to happen.

I really don't care one way or the other whether we fire Roof, but we were even worse on defense before he got here. In terms of scheme, talent (minus 2008-2009), and results, our defenses have all looked pretty similar under CPJ. I'd probably feel more strongly about wanting a change at DC if I were sold that things would actually change significantly.

I really don't care one way or the other whether we fire Roof, but we were even worse on defense before he got here. In terms of scheme, talent (minus 2008-2009), and results, our defenses have all looked pretty similar under CPJ. I'd probably feel more strongly about wanting a change at DC if I were sold that things would actually change significantly.

Churning through coordinators isn’t always so terrible.

How many OCs has Saban gone through?
How many DCs did Richt have?
Les Miles had a million of both.
Brian Kelly nearly nuked his entire staff before this year.

4 in 10 years...who cares? Just fix the problem.

Churning through coordinators isn’t always so terrible.

How many OCs has Saban gone through?
How many DCs did Richt have?
Les Miles had a million of both.
Brian Kelly nearly nuked his entire staff before this year.

4 in 10 years...who cares? Just fix the problem.

Saban has lost two of his OCs to head coaching positions, so I don't think that's the same thing. Les Miles typically fielded a lousy offense at LSU, so I'm not sure cycling through OCs ever fixed that problem for them.

Like I said, I'd feel better about a move if I actually thought it was likely to lead to better results and not just a way to make a change for the sake of making a change. Everyone keeps saying we need to hire someone more aggressive, but will the next coach actually be aggressive and take more chances? Is that actually what CPJ wants or just what we assume? If I remember correctly, Dave Wommack's defenses at Ole Miss after we fired him were plenty aggressive.

On a sidenote, in looking up Alabama's OC from 2012-2013, I found this on his Wikipedia page:
In 2015, Nussmeier was diagnosed with incompetitis, a rare disease that makes the host literally allergic to offense. Common side effects include a playbook less than half a page long and the inability to call pass plays further than 3 yards down the field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Nussmeier

Back