They scored 38 points before we got the ball

Saban has lost two of his OCs to head coaching positions, so I don't think that's the same thing. Les Miles typically fielded a lousy offense at LSU, so I'm not sure cycling through OCs ever fixed that problem for them.

Like I said, I'd feel better about a move if I actually thought it was likely to lead to better results and not just a way to make a change for the sake of making a change. Everyone keeps saying we need to hire someone more aggressive, but will the next coach actually be aggressive and take more chances? Is that actually what CPJ wants or just what we assume? If I remember correctly, Dave Wommack's defenses at Ole Miss after we fired him were plenty aggressive.

On a sidenote, in looking up Alabama's OC from 2012-2013, I found this on his Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Nussmeier

That’s fair to a point. Malzahn, too, has gone through DCs in his short tenure, btw.

I’ve listened to enough CPJ radio shows where the subject is brought up that he’s mentioned in more ways than one that his suggestion has always been to encourage a more aggressive style - more slants, stunts, or twists up front. Generally, just bringing pressure.

Take all for what it’s worth because I won’t even pretend to know what he truly wants in a defensive philosophy beyond what amounts to what I’m inferring from a hourly call in show.

Saban has lost two of his OCs to head coaching positions, so I don't think that's the same thing. Les Miles typically fielded a lousy offense at LSU, so I'm not sure cycling through OCs ever fixed that problem for them.

Like I said, I'd feel better about a move if I actually thought it was likely to lead to better results and not just a way to make a change for the sake of making a change. Everyone keeps saying we need to hire someone more aggressive, but will the next coach actually be aggressive and take more chances? Is that actually what CPJ wants or just what we assume? If I remember correctly, Dave Wommack's defenses at Ole Miss after we fired him were plenty aggressive.

On a sidenote, in looking up Alabama's OC from 2012-2013, I found this on his Wikipedia page:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Nussmeier
Wikipedia our authority

Auburn is my #2 team and I watched every Auburn game in 2010. Auburn's defense was really bad that year, and Auburn won a national championship in spite of Roof. The only game they played well defensively was the national championship game against Oregon. Roof deserves credit for that game, but not for Auburn making it there. If we had Cam Newton playing QB we wouldn't be complaining about the defense either.

Arkansas State W 52–26
Mississippi State W 17–14
Clemson* W 27–24 OT
No. 12 South Carolina W 35–27
Louisiana–Monroe* W 52–3
Kentucky W 37–34
No. 12 Arkansas W 65–43
No. 6 LSU W 24–17
Ole Miss W 51–31
(FCS) Chattanooga W 62–24
Georgia W 49–31
No. 9 Alabama W 28–27
No. 18 South Carolina W 56–17
No. 2 Oregon* W 22–19

Compare those numbers to Auburn's current season...

Not really sure how you can complain about the defense in this Auburn season. Oregon averaged almost 50 points a game going into the championship game. Roof's D held them to 19. How is that bad?

I'm done defending Roof though. As I've been saying, next year it is all on him, and these past two games are as close to next year as you can get. He's got his guys, the depth that he should be able to work with, and as everyone has pointed out, he doesn't seem to know how to call plays on defense. Doesn't try to disguise what he is doing prior to the snap, doesn't take enough gambles with blitzes, etc.

But, this thread is actually about the lack of offense so I'll hang up and listen.

Why are you being like this? MNC at Auburn is not succeeding?

I don't know if he can be successful at Tech. I don't know if CPJ can be successful at Tech either; but I'm not going to argue he can't coach or his philosophy is the problem. I don't know if anyone can be successful at Tech under current conditions.
Whether he is a good coach or not, that is up for anyone's own opinion. But here are the facts:

His starting defensive players as recruits were ranked by Rivals as such: And I won't name the kids names

No Rivals rank; #61 player in Ga
No Rivals or State rank
No Rivals or State rank
No Rivals rank; #39 player in Ga.
No Rivals or State rank
No Rivals rank; #23 player in Tenn
No Rivals or State rank
No Rivals rank; #54 player in Ga.
No Rivals rank; #55 player in Ga.
No Rivals rank; #40 player in Ga.
No Rivals rank; #40 player in Fla.

None offered by UGA, and only about 3 had serious offers from P5 schools.

Again, I am not here to defend Roof, but as the old saying goes: It ain't the Xs and Os, but the Jacks and the Joes. These guys seem to play pretty hard, but are just limited and have little quality depth behind them. Whether it's Roof or any other coach, the talent has to improve

Back