Throwbacks for Thursday

Looks good to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

602916_10200627653561274_1606557463_n.jpg

There will never be a better looking uni combo than the one rolled out during Calvin's tenure.

To me, these are just meh. But I'm one of those guys that don't mind the new unis so much.

Bookstore and Tailgater's Alley will be selling replicas of these. Dunno what those look like yet, but may be pretty decent.

Edit: They look like crap. Don't bother.

Last edited:
There will never be a better looking uni combo than the one rolled out during Calvin's tenure.

To me, these are just meh. But I'm one of those guys that don't mind the new unis so much.

These? We should just do a whole season of throwbacks. Imagine that, you could actually read the numbers on the players, and maybe even merchandise could handle the same color of gold for a change.

CalvinJohnson.jpg

These look like they are from the early 2000s

I hope you are under 30.
Those are the away jerseys from the late 80s to about 1997.
Before "Vegas Gold" became a thing,
When the NCAA was mandating home teams wear colors.
I'd even hazard that's the style we wore all the way back to the early 70s, whenever the Mustard home jerseys went away.

I know the Dodd era stripes tended to be black rather than blue.

But that is OUR OLD GOLD. Look at the SI covers from 1990. One with William Bell, the other might be Willie Clay.

I hope you are under 30.
I'd even hazard that's the style we wore all the way back to the early 70s, whenever the Mustard home jerseys went away.

But that is OUR OLD GOLD. Look at the SI covers from 1990. One with William Bell, the other might be Willie Clay.

Awww... Gotcha. And yeah I'm under 30 lol

Looks good to me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I777 using Tapatalk 2

I hope you are under 30.

IIRC, Bud Carson's Old Gold jerseys (both white & black number editions) were the first to use two sleeve stripes instead of the three on Coach Dodd's jerseys. I don't recall what the white jerseys (away) had with Carson.

Edit: my memory corrects - at least on the first edition of the Carson old gold jerseys, we had white numbers with only white & black piping trim at the end on the short sleeves. The stripes on the sleeves were replaced with the (then) new interlocking GT emblem for the first year of the gold jerseys only. I believe, the next year with the change to black numbers outlined in white (Rock Perdoni AA years) and the interlocking GT was only on the helmets.

Bill Fulcher brought back the white home jerseys and they used the two stripe combination on these throwback jerseys.

Each of these years, we also had matching "TV" numbers on the shoulders. It seems like the Fulcher jerseys might have lowered the TV numbers to the top of the sleeves above the two stripes.

If so, these new throwbacks may be from the early Coach Pepper Rogers era.

Last edited:
IIRC, Bud Carson's Old Gold jerseys (both white & black number editions) were the first to use two sleeve stripes instead of the three on Coach Dodd's jerseys. I don't recall what the white jerseys (away) had with Carson.

Bill Fulcher brought back the white home jerseys and they used the two stripe combination on these throwback jerseys.

And here we see that I am under 50. :biggthumpup:

Found this: http://www.krakov.net/si/images/1990/1112_large.jpg

I would love our current jersey in this shade of Old Gold.
put the hexagons around the neck.

I wonder if there will ever be a trend for simplified jerseys in the future.

Uniforms seem to be pleasing the majority of the fan base this year. Something odd is in the air. Even the shade of gold is right. We may go undefeated. When you look good, you play good.

Looks good (although the standard uniforms this year have been pretty sharp too). Still craving that Calvin throwback goodness.

I really have no idea what our uniforms look like this season. I don't know if we have that weird piping thing across the chest still or not. We have just changed them so much and they have been so bad, I have just stopped paying attention.

White throwback. White helmet. White out.

I'm in.

As much as this year's jerseys are an improvement over last year's abortions, these throwbacks are going to make them look like turds.

Embarrassing question but what era are those from?

1972 Bill Fulcher era. He went from Black/Gold/Black sleeve stripes to the 2 stripes. Also, back then is when they started doing away with the longer sleeves. But also, Fulcher had #'s on sleeve and not shoulders.

And after Carson's 1st year, he did away with sleeve stripes. In 1968 I believe GT was 1st team in country to have logo on sleeve, but after that Bud went with solid sleeves.

If memory serves.

Where did the interlocking GT on home plate / diamond (on the neckline) come from?

Back