To Bee Quite Honest & Blunt...

I know this has gotten out of hand when someone says graduation rates are overated!!!
Last time I checked this was a Institute of higher learning where the true goal is graduating...
Any of you that think otherwise are cheering for the wrong level of competition...
Sorry BeeBad but you just lost so much credibility in my eyes... You're obviously just a flamer who has no real idea what the college game is about...
Even Vince Lombardi was concerned about graduation rates when he coached at Army and he was very concerned about at least the appearance of high moral standards...

I don't want a christian family man as head coach... I want a winner who knows how to work the sytem... A guy who knows how to go right up to the fence and lean against it without knocking it over... Moral victories are for Sunday Sermons... This is football, folks.. It ain't the PTL Club...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Beebad - You don't win at anything without solid core beliefs. I only wish I was as strong as Lombardi, Gailey, Richt, Bowden, Gibbs, Osborne, Landry.........

Despite the criticism I stand by my beliefs.. Football is one heckuva competitive game... Last time I looked there's no space on the scoreboard for grad rates or souls saved...

Despite the criticism I stand by my beliefs - want a winner who knows how to work the sytem
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think that is your problem beebad. While you try to WORK the system, the real winners ARE the system. I am afraid I have to agree with YLOJK8.

Dave... if I was agreeing with ylo on anything I'd be afraid too...
shocked.gif

To each his/her own tho...

Beebad while I admire your spin... you're way off.... the point of college athleteics is to play AND to go to school... See that's why its called College Athletics... one of the additional rules is that the players have to be students... I realize that this is a hard concept for you to grasp but it's the truth... if it was ONLY about football then you'd be watching a different level of competition it's called Professional... perhaps you should drink less on Saturdays and get up on Sunday and watch the pros... seems to me those are the ones you're talking about here...
To repeat ... it's about the rules... college vs. pro... in college they go to class to study things that may be valuable in the future, in the pros they go to class to study football that may be valuable next week...
Just like any other sport that has it's own set of rules college football has them as well... change the rules and your playing a different sport... Baseball is played with a baseball, change the size of the ball it's called softball...
For you to insinuate that academics is not or should not be a part of college sports is not ignorant it's just stupid... which is perhaps the problem here entirely... you must be a product of government schools why else would one lack basic analytical thinking skills
rolleyes.gif

If you look at my original post, I am advocating another coach like O'Leary... He knew how to cut corners & win games... Noone will ever confuse George O'Leary with Father Flannigan...What did he graduate, 33%... ? Half the board here still loves him so while you aggressively criticize my thoughts, I realize I'm in good company... Btw, weren't those wins over Georgia sweet?...

In tennis they call it game, set, match.. nothing like the roar of the crowd at centre court...

Only in the sense of the word does it mean that! How many sas do you think meet that criteria? Only football players mind you and that is nation wide.

I understand where BeeBad is coming from when he stated that he didn't want a christian man as a head coach. Most of the fonts on this board know about previous posts of mine where I have stated
very clearly about my involvment in my church. I am an Ordained Baptist Deacon and I have taught a Bible class of more than 150 people and I am also involved with many Benevolent organizations that is designed to help the needy and the down and outer. I spend a great portion of my time in pursuing the things that I feel are an essential part of my calling as a christian.

But after having said that, I have problems with anyone that stiffarms others with their faith. In John 7:18 Jesus said to the skeptics that "He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory".
I believe that if we are truly men and women of faith and are willing to be used of God that he will open doors for us so that we can minister to
others discretely without being abrasive and intrusive. Conversely, I don't think any christian should expect deference from others simply because they are a man or woman of faith.
One of the main reasons that Ken Hatfield ran into so much trouble at Arkansas was that he purportedly would use his TV show and talk about his faith and according to the article I read that focused on this problem, he was confronted by Frank Broyles, the Athletics Director and was told that he could not use that show that was intended to talk about Arkansas football and try to use it for evangelistic purposes. Shortly after this confrontation Hatfield left Arkansas for Clemson.

I think Tech has a fine christian man heading our program and I don't think we will ever be embarrassed by any misbehavior on his part. But that doesn't mean that I feel that he is the best man that Tech could hire to win games and also run a clean program. My Pastor is also a very fine christian man but I wouldn't want him as our coach because he is not qualified.
Some might wonder if our coach spent more time studying film or making plans for our team instead
of using every opportunity to speak at churches if he would be more effective. My point being, that if he has been called to preach the gospel then maybe he should leave the coaching to someone else and then answer God's call on his life. I have serious questions if he can effectively do both justice.

I think CCG can witness by running a clean, rules observing, winning program that graduates its players who in turn become successful, productive members of society. A winning program can be defined as one that no one schedules as a filler and when we are the upcoming game they get ready for a competitive, hard fought game.

GT has failed its moral contract with these 11 young people and needs to get them back in school and help them graduate on a legitimate basis,irre-gardless of whether they play again or not.

If anyone needs a gun for the fete de Stingtalk I have enough in my vault for everyone;if a crowd shows up I guess I will have to start digging in the backyard of the old homeplace! Personally I'm going to bring my Randall Mk 1 and be up close and personal about it!

drinking.gif
blue.gif
drinking.gif

Originally posted by BeeBad:
I don't want a christian family man as head coach... I want a winner who knows how to work the system... A guy who knows how to go right up to the fence and lean against it without knocking it over...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Apparently you ain't met many new fangled preachers Bbad. They sho know how to work the system baby...

Seriously now, there are disproportionately more Christian family type successful coaches than not. They are generallhy noted for being inspirational and great motivators.

Originally posted by Big Buck:
I understand where BeeBad is coming from when he stated that he didn't want a christian man as a head coach. Most of the fonts on this board know about previous posts of mine where I have stated
very clearly about my involvment in my church. I am an Ordained Baptist Deacon and I have taught a Bible class of more than 150 people and I am also involved with many Benevolent organizations that is designed to help the needy and the down and outer. I spend a great portion of my time in pursuing the things that I feel are an essential part of my calling as a christian.

But after having said that, I have problems with anyone that stiffarms others with their faith. In John 7:18 Jesus said to the skeptics that "He that speaketh of himself seeketh his own glory".
I believe that if we are truly men and women of faith and are willing to be used of God that he will open doors for us so that we can minister to
others discretely without being abrasive and intrusive. Conversely, I don't think any christian should expect deference from others simply because they are a man or woman of faith.
One of the main reasons that Ken Hatfield ran into so much trouble at Arkansas was that he purportedly would use his TV show and talk about his faith and according to the article I read that focused on this problem, he was confronted by Frank Broyles, the Athletics Director and was told that he could not use that show that was intended to talk about Arkansas football and try to use it for evangelistic purposes. Shortly after this confrontation Hatfield left Arkansas for Clemson.

I think Tech has a fine christian man heading our program and I don't think we will ever be embarrassed by any misbehavior on his part. But that doesn't mean that I feel that he is the best man that Tech could hire to win games and also run a clean program. My Pastor is also a very fine christian man but I wouldn't want him as our coach because he is not qualified.
Some might wonder if our coach spent more time studying film or making plans for our team instead
of using every opportunity to speak at churches if he would be more effective. My point being, that if he has been called to preach the gospel then maybe he should leave the coaching to someone else and then answer God's call on his life. I have serious questions if he can effectively do both justice.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">BB: Right on target with this very informative post - it really does say it correctly!

So because few if any participating institutions meet the criteria then you advocate a total dismissal of the system???
Very good... well if that's the case then college athletics is already on the outs...
If the fans of college athletics don't hold the sport responsible for following its own rules then who will??? Of course if one follows BeeBads logic ... or lack thereof then if it feels good do it... society be damned....
You people aren't fans... sorry, you just don't appreciate what college athletics is supposed to represent i.e. the institution... and the product it produces...
The way I see it as an employer... if you brag about the success of your college athletic program and it has been successful because of cheating or falsifying grades... you won't work for me.... In my game of life it is reality... if you won't abide by rules in a pastime then you for sure won't abide by them in real life... I don't work for schmucks nor will I hire them....

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Despite the criticism I stand by my beliefs.. Football is one heckuva competitive game... Last time I looked there's no space on the scoreboard for grad rates or souls saved...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Speaking of which you might want to check your soul out.
confused.gif
shocked.gif
rolleyes.gif
frown.gif
tongue.gif
smile.gif
wink.gif

Originally posted by techrod:
GTT, I agree with you on the way it should be, but this is no perfect world we live in. Not everyone you have been cheering for and cheering with are ridind white horses. Things are never like they should be and we have to accept that like it or not with all these people that we are rooting for congregating in Bobby Dodd sta. We need everyones support no matter what color,crede,religion, beliefs, wages,politics, or where any of these people come from. Right side of the tracks or the left side, beneath you or above you, h--l raiser,rebel rouser, sunday school teacher Tech needs e'm all! Just so they DON"T BREAK LAWS of the state!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">OK TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW!( Because it sounds like you know something)

this thread has renewed my confidence in a lot of the fonts on this message board!

it's a warm feeling indeed...

wins and losses are the bottom line but this is not a business. yes, there are aspects about it which are business like, for instance the exhorbitant $$ we pay to coaches and stuff, the price of tix, club seats (cringe), TV revenues and so on.

but i still assert that this is not a business. wins and losses are the bottom line but how we compete is more important to me. the 51-7 fiasco hurts bad because we didn't compete. the loss is the bottomline. i'd take a 21-20 loss and hold my head high because we competed. the 51-7 loss made me hang my head in shame.

so for me at least, it's not the loss that hurt, it's how we lost that did. which is why, even though the loss is the bottom line, how we lost is bigger in the scheme of things.

as far as graduation rates go, it is very sorry to see players flunk out. even one player, leave alone 10 of em. the only feel good reason about a poor graduation rate can be players leaving early for the pros. that was NOT why o'leary had a 33% grad rate now was it?

every student athlete that we give a scholarship to, we have an obligation to help him compete on the field and in school. if he doesn't leave early for the pros, then we need to help him to our utmost ability for him to graduate with a tech degree.

i believe that only 1% of football student athletes get to play in the pros. this means that 99% of em need to find another means of making a living in the real world. if Tech cannot graduate them and give them a degree, then we have failed the 99% of the athletes who couldn't go pro. in fact, we have used those kids for our selfish entertainment.

this may go very well with wannabeebad's attitude that football is a sport and sport is entertainment. but that attitude has no place in college sports.

graduation rates are sacrosant. every student athlete should graduate so that when he does get out of school and if he cannot go pro, he can bank on his degree to make a good life for himself and his family.

sorry for the lengthy lecture. this is how i feel about college athletics. i know it's not a perfect world ...

is it BECAUSE of the existence of wannabeebad's and their like that the world is not perfect .. or is it the other way round .. the existence of wannabeebad's and their like is DUE to the fact that the world is not perfect?? what came first?? chicken or egg?

Back