To Bee Quite Honest & Blunt...

Good Job Casbah62
Sounds like you may have come up in the Bobby Dodd era as I did. I admire and share your convictions, so hang tough with them.

Originally posted by BeeBad:
Football is one heckuva competitive game... Last time I looked there's no space on the scoreboard for grad rates or souls saved...
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I believe thats called the NFL, not college sports.

If graduation rates don't matter, how is college football any different from the NFL?

Nice post Big Buck. I certainly don't think being a Christian is a negative for a head coach, but it also doesn't mean someone is a good coach. If he can win, develop players and help young men prepare themselves for their futures I don't care what he personally believes. It's a non-issue. If he's out of control off the field (as in several recent instances at other schools) that's unacceptable as well. Being a Christian or "preacher" are non issues.

This thread has been interesting to me. We all want to win. Some want to win with the classic Tech approach to things. Some think we need to make changes in academics to allow us to compete. And some don't care what we do to the Institute or our values as long as we win. What I have been happy to see is that there are very, very few in the last camp.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
this thread has renewed my confidence in a lot of the fonts on this message board!

it's a warm feeling indeed...

wins and losses are the bottom line but this is not a business.

as far as graduation rates go, it is very sorry to see players flunk out. even one player, leave alone 10 of em. the only feel good reason about a poor graduation rate can be players leaving early for the pros. that was NOT why o'leary had a 33% grad rate now was it?

every student athlete that we give a scholarship to, we have an obligation to help him compete on the field and in school. if he doesn't leave early for the pros, then we need to help him to our utmost ability for him to graduate with a tech degree.

i believe that only 1% of football student athletes get to play in the pros. this means that 99% of em need to find another means of making a living in the real world. if Tech cannot graduate them and give them a degree, then we have failed the 99% of the athletes who couldn't go pro. in fact, we have used those kids for our selfish entertainment.

this may go very well with wannabeebad's attitude that football is a sport and sport is entertainment. but that attitude has no place in college sports.

graduation rates are sacrosant. every student athlete should graduate so that when he does get out of school and if he cannot go pro, he can bank on his degree to make a good life for himself and his family.

sorry for the lengthy lecture. this is how i feel about college athletics. i know it's not a perfect world ...

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Once again I stand on the side of my kindred spirit, Ylojk8.
wink.gif
Good post buddy.

Perhaps those of us who believe Tech has a made a strong academic commitment to the kids who trade their talent, sweat and tears for a college education have not become extinct; yet.

This also reminds me, the pressure placed on those that are paid to win college sports, does not put them in the best position to monitor how well Tech lives up to its commitments to SA’s.

Good posts, 71 and ylo.

71bee wrote:

"This also reminds me, the pressure placed on those that are paid to win college sports, does not put them in the best position to monitor how well Tech lives up to its commitments to SA?s."

This, apparently, was the very situation and opportunity for misbehavior that GT wanted to address with the new SA tutoring rules, BEFORE we had a ugag/ Harrick situation. To his credit, Chan agreed to this, and did not try to subvert the new process.

We did not execute the new process very well, or we would not have lost so many SA's to academics this spring, obviously. But that we were eager to close the barn door BEFORE the horse got out, is to the credit of everyone involved.

It's pretty clear that we who post here are not all suddenly going to get on the same page on these various issues. That's fine. But meanwhile, I do think that we all need to remember that the real bottom line at Georgia Tech is excellence in education, and the goal of all our SAs should be to get that education. This ought to be the goal everywhere, at every institution that gives athletic scholarships; it makes every SA a potential winner. And winners is what we want them to be.

Remember Bobby Ross? He didn't "work the system." He was religious, I think, but didn't make a big deal of it. He chose his assistants based on their ability, not their religiosity. His primary focus was football. He earned his salary as head coach, every dime of it, every day.

Big Buck, you said it all! If I would take a minute to figure out the quote button, I would certainly use it on your post. Hyever,....

Personally, I am offended when someone gets rightous on me. I believe its inappropriate to play the "C" card when dealing with others. The faith of someone is a personal decision, but thats not even the issue here. To me, when I hear something along the lines of "We are a Christian company" or "He is a good Christian", what is meant is "you can trust me", and I find that insulting to the rest of the world.
Is a morally sound jew any less than a good Christian man?

I am a Christian, baptised at the age of 28 by the way.

Is it wrong to just be happy with a good man that stays out of trouble and can produce 9 wins a year without the "C" word attached to him?

Lucky,

I think that the connotation with "Christian" being "good" as you have raised it is the implication of discipline in lifestyle, integrity in actions (consistently doing what you say), and treating people with spirit of forgiveness and not condemning them without opportunity for corrective action.

You are right that other faiths can be just as upstanding, but I find they are mostly self-serving and believe in promoting the interests of their own (Jews and Moslems good examples) instead of teaching servitude and sacrifice.

Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
instead of teaching servitude and sacrifice.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not to mention humility.

Jeez, ramblinwise1, based on your description I wish we had a few more Christians on this board.

There may be some fans for whom the coach's religion is important. But for the vast majority I feel pretty secure in saying they don't really care. They want someone who does things the right way and wins. If he's a devout Christian, so be it. If not, that's okay too.

Originally posted by bellyseries:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ramblinwise1:
instead of teaching servitude and sacrifice.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Not to mention humility.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I won't take the humility bait, Belly.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Jeez, ramblinwise1, based on your description I wish we had a few more Christians on this board.

There may be some fans for whom the coach's religion is important. But for the vast majority I feel pretty secure in saying they don't really care. They want someone who does things the right way and wins. If he's a devout Christian, so be it. If not, that's okay too.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">ncjacket,
Amen!

Back