Tobias Oliver

Actually, I think this is backwards. TO was really patient and really good at following his blockers.

The real difference is line play – we totally out manned them and out schemed them last night. I think TQM would've had a huge night, too.

A thousand times yes. On TV, the commentators mentioned something about CPJ saying he had a changed up blocking schemes a bit and it was "something they haven't seen before". That's usually an assignment thing - tackle typically takes OLB but we pull a guard out instead, stuff like that. Just like our Orange Bowl year, when plays look like 2-3 yard gains and we ended up getting 6-7 yards, you know we're playing well.

Another comment on the TV was from Parker Braun; commentator summarizing and interview where he said they decided to stop making stupid mistakes that were hurting the offense. When I combine that with CPJ's comments about the line making checks they shouldn't make, it sounds like we are finally getting the OL on the same page and executing.

One last observation on the TV guys; after the "changed up the blocking schemes" comment, the color guy then tried to explain/guess what that meant. He had no idea what he was talking about, which was hilarious.

Another comment on the TV was from Parker Braun; commentator summarizing and interview where he said they decided to stop making stupid mistakes that were hurting the offense. When I combine that with CPJ's comments about the line making checks they shouldn't make, it sounds like we are finally getting the OL on the same page and executing.

Thankfully, we are able to figure this out mid-season every year.

A thousand times yes. On TV, the commentators mentioned something about CPJ saying he had a changed up blocking schemes a bit and it was "something they haven't seen before". That's usually an assignment thing - tackle typically takes OLB but we pull a guard out instead, stuff like that. Just like our Orange Bowl year, when plays look like 2-3 yard gains and we ended up getting 6-7 yards, you know we're playing well.

One last observation on the TV guys; after the "changed up the blocking schemes" comment, the color guy then tried to explain/guess what that meant. He had no idea what he was talking about, which was hilarious.

One aspect was immediately obvious. We were running sets with the WRs lined up like TEs.

But the real difference was that TO was willing to run the follow and just ride his AB or BBs back through the LOS. And he would get the extra 1 to 3 yards after contact that TQM can’t get.

I get that you don't like Taquan; but he had over 1100 yards rushing last year and is averaging 4.7 yards per carry this year. Don't go full stupid just because you like one player over the other.

I don’t care for Tobias either. Kid can’t throw. Marshall is soft.

Not bad for a quarterback who can only run 4 different plays and can't throw. Go Big Blue.

PJ calls a game where we win on limited passing attempts and he’s an offensive genius. Oliver executes a limited play selection to a TD rate of 65% and half this board says put the other guy in. Makes sense to me....

TQM is a fine running QB. He gets into trouble when he 1) tries to throw. He’s terrible. TO might be, as well, but he never throws so we have no idea. Or 2) he fumbles. TQM loses the ball too much. We lost the Duke game entirely on turnovers.

TQM is a fine running QB. He gets into trouble when he 1) tries to throw. He’s terrible. TO might be, as well, but he never throws so we have no idea. Or 2) he fumbles. TQM loses the ball too much. We lost the Duke game entirely on turnovers.
To be clear, TQM only lost one fumble against Duke. The others were by Jerry Howard and Juanyeh Thomas.

Don't have fumble stats but I'm confident giving TO the ball moving forward until he proves he can't move the offense. Nothing here suggest he'll be less effective then TM.

upload_2018-10-30_9-48-50.png

Don't have fumble stats but I'm confident giving TO the ball moving forward until he proves he can't move the offense. Nothing here suggest he'll be less effective then TM.

upload_2018-10-30_9-48-50.png
Wow. TO has almost as many carries and more yards than TQM.

What I don't get: TO is so effective because he holds to the ball more resulting in fewer turnovers (partially because he seems more hesitant to pitch and partially because he gets way more QB follow plays) while still getting big yards on QB carries. Why does this work for him and not TQM? Should we just dial up follows for TQM?

I don't see anything different between TO and TQM's running abilities. Maybe TO just has better vision and finds holes?

Wow. TO has almost as many carries and more yards than TQM.

What I don't get: TO is so effective because he holds to the ball more resulting in fewer turnovers (partially because he seems more hesitant to pitch and partially because he gets way more QB follow plays) while still getting big yards on QB carries. Why does this work for him and not TQM? Should we just dial up follows for TQM?

I don't see anything different between TO and TQM's running abilities. Maybe TO just has better vision and finds holes?

He's a stronger runner IMO than Marshall. Both are can make plays with their feet but TO is harder to tackle. Here's what I do know. Marshall has been hesitate is entire career to pitch and holds the ball a lot. He has multiple games this year where he also has well over 20 carries per game. Marshall is very inconsistent throwing the ball. I just don't see anything statistically or results on the field that would lead me to believe TO shouldn't be getting the snaps right now.

The coaches have obviously thought TQM has given the team a better chance to succeed. Given the undeniable fact that TO is succeeding in the game, CPJ could platoon QB like he does AB and just send the play in with the QB. Also could really show something different and play TQM at AB and TO at QB. AB pass option could give TQM more space to throw.

The coaches have obviously thought TQM has given the team a better chance to succeed. Given the undeniable fact that TO is succeeding in the game, CPJ could platoon QB like he does AB and just send the play in with the QB. Also could really show something different and play TQM at AB and TO at QB. AB pass option could give TQM more space to throw.
Coaches aren't always right. Iirc, Dantzler wasn't a starter at Clemson until our game due to an injury to the starter.

Of course, I'm old and could be remembering wrong.

Coaches don't always agree either. It would be interesting to see what each coach personally thought. No way there is enough separation between QBs for everyone to feel the same way.

Back