Tomorrow

pianoman

Varsity Lurker
This is not accurate.

GT has long had a high academic reputation.

But a few decades ago it pissed away its culture to rise in the bogus USNWR rankings.
A few decades ago they (Pettit, Stelson, others) realized the school would struggle without strong graduate programs. Grad students (especially phds) are the work force driving the countless labs fueled by the external funding necessary to have a world class engineering school. GT was initially largely modeled after Worcester Poly. It would be kind of like WPI now if those changes had not happened. The other big milestone was when the regents approved the uga engineering school - Gary May’s comment “we now don’t have to worry about educating Georgia’s engineering students” was noteworthy.
I remember sitting in Stelson’s office about 30 years ago...he had every current PhD dissertation piled on his conference table. The change was a huge deal. We can debate the pros and cons of our engineering school business model, but not adopting it would have meant becoming more like WPI, Rose-Hulman etc.

The Jacket

The Coat
Here's the thing. It's not only our (GT's) brand. This is going to be a full line of clothing, backed by Adidas directed toward the urban Atlanta market. We now have an external revenue stream that has nothing to do with boosters, donors, tickets, etc. We also have a platform now to allow recruits to build their own image, brand, and possibly make money off name/image/likeness agreements. Basically, when all the n/i/l stuff gets settled, we just made it so that we could pay our own players.
Huh.

Last edited:

Architorture23

If ur players know u luv them, then u already won.
I'm skeptical of this and not just because I don't wear hoodies and joggers and t-shirts that go past my butt and don't generally dress like Justin Timberlake. And I don't even know who the cool rappers are anymore.

But I'm skeptical because kids are fickle and clothing trends have a really short lifespan.

JoeCakeEater

Dodd-Like
So this is a brand that will be for sale to the public I assume? Where do the proceeds go?... the GT athletic budget, or just a side hustle for the coaching staff?

andrew

Bobby Bonilla's Financial Planner
So this is a brand that will be for sale to the public I assume? Where do the proceeds go?... the GT athletic budget, or just a side hustle for the coaching staff?
I would guess most of the risk will be borne by adidas, so they will get most of the profits and we will be paid a flat fee. Maybe we will also hold a very minor equity stake, but I don't think GTAA wants to actually get into clothing as a business, because it's so wildly different from the main functions of an athletic department.

This is just 100% speculation on my part though.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
Pretty sure the coaching staff isn't legally able to side hustle gear that was branded as coaches at GT.

gtchief

Not Wrong, Just An A******
My question is can our players make likeness money off this?
Guessing you don't read all new posts. GoGATech seems to think we're set up for it.

Here's the thing. It's not only our (GT's) brand. This is going to be a full line of clothing, backed by Adidas directed toward the urban Atlanta market. We now have an external revenue stream that has nothing to do with boosters, donors, tickets, etc. We also have a platform now to allow recruits to build their own image, brand, and possibly make money off name/image/likeness agreements. Basically, when all the n/i/l stuff gets settled, we just made it so that we could pay our own players.

JJacket

Declared dead for tax purposes.
It's definitely coming.
I don't think it will have anything to do with the clothing apparel. You can sell that stuff anyway if you run a successful program. Putting players in video games and selling jerseys may be the sticking point.