Tonights Scrimmage

statelinejacket

Damn Good Rat
Heading down there this afternoon with a friend on our Harley-Davidson's to see the 5:30 scrimmage! I hope to see what I have been hearing about. See Ya!

Please be sure to post a practice report for us!
smile.gif

i'm glad that you can make it to a practice .. not flaming .. it's good that you're making an effort to see for yourself what's going on.

you're one of the most critical persons on this board regarding the coaching staff.

do share your perceptions with us after watching practice.

so statelinejacket .. did you make it to practice last night? share your perceptions if you did.

Originally posted by ylojk8:
so statelinejacket .. did you make it to practice last night? share your perceptions if you did.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Sure did. I combined two of my greatest passions, Harley Davidsons and Georgia Tech Football to have an enjoyable afternoon. After finally making it to Bobby Dodd after first going to Rose Bowl Field I settled into a seat. My buddy (who is a Dawg fan but was looking to get out of the house and ride) was very impressed with Reggie Ball. General observation on what I saw: I guess it was by design but the snaps was divided evenly by Reggie, Suggs, and Pat Carter. I preferred to the less of #2 and #3 and more of #1. Reggie looked good, not great as I have read but good. I will say very good for a freshman and obviously ahead of Suggs and Carter. A couple of bad decisions and one very poor one that resulted in an interception by throwing into very close double coverage. But extremely nice movement outside the pocket. He will be a handful for a defense chasing him on rollouts. He also threw the deep pass with accuracy, no small detail after last year. Carter has excellent ability but was not very accurate. Suggs: at least two or maybe three interceptions. One straight to Kenny Scott with no reciever within ten yards. Still very harassed when chased out of the pocket. A copy of last year. Speaking of Kenny Scott, one A+ awesome play where he made a play as he broke up a sure six points on a long pass by Reggie. It was a thrill to see. Ace looked good but in my opinion Reshaun Grant looked better. All the recievers need to catch the ball better. All of them, no exceptions. Dropped balls in the endzone should not be tolerated. I would have liked to see some in your face corrective coaching action in that regard. Darryl Smith, during the goal line drills really smacked Ace! Applause all around from an appreciative crowd of about 100 I would say. Ather Brown made a super block of one Reggie throw while chasing him to the sideline. I really like Coach Tenuta and his style. If he did'nt like something he saw he let us all know about. Overall: We will have to catch the ball and score touchdowns because the field goals don't look as if they will be there this year. Kickers did'nt look good. Reggie will have to be more mindful of the game clock. Refs was there and they called I believe three penalties for too much time on the offence with him under center. There was some extremely nice athlectic plays but the dropped passes bother me along with the too much time penalties. We can't afford them no matter how you look at. Both are a matter of concentration. On the touchy subject (at least with me) of Damrius Bilbo. I saw very little of him in the scrimmages. He did make one nice catch of a Reggie Ball throw where stretched out and pulled in a high pass. A nice play but not nothing that should'nt be expected. But the crowd gave him probably one of three loudest applauses of the day. He is obviously a favorite but it is indicative of how the fans feel about how the switch was made. Readers of this post don't have to like that statement but thats what happen. After the catch I only saw Bilbo in for a couple of more plays in the scrimmage. I don't know what happen. Thats about it. I will say I wish I saw more Jon Tenuta style coaching. Coach Gailey and the rest appear passive from a distance. Just as on T.V. last year. But that is my opinion, we soon shall see if he has assumed a more authoritve style on the sideline.

Thanks for the report Stateline!

One quick correction, that was PJ running not ACE. Also, the kickers have had a good camp, just didn't play well last night.

good post statelinejacket.

ace did not scrimmage yesterday. you are probably confusing him with PJ.

bilbo playing and catching in scrimmage .. that was the very first time he has been in a scrimmage since being moved to WR. he's been doing WR drills, then he got dinged up and sat down. yesterday night was the first time he scrimmaged as WR.

i think the crowd was just thrilled to see him on the field and applauding him because it appears that he's made up his mind to switch to WR. your take is different i can see.

yesterday the O was not very good. especially given the fact that the DL was paper thin. that's prolly why gailey was furious with the O yesterday.

StatelineJacket, thanks for the info, I appreciate the post.

My son-in-law has a Harley and he and my daughter occasionally take trips on it with their little group.

My Dad always loved a motorcycle and rode his cycle up until one year before his death at the age of 83.

My brother rode one for years, but now has not rode it in the past 15, but he still has it in his basement.

Hope you enjoyed your ride as well as the practice.

Father Time

Originally posted by ylojk8:
good post statelinejacket.

ace did not scrimmage yesterday. you are probably confusing him with PJ.

bilbo playing and catching in scrimmage .. that was the very first time he has been in a scrimmage since being moved to WR. he's been doing WR drills, then he got dinged up and sat down. yesterday night was the first time he scrimmaged as WR.

i think the crowd was just thrilled to see him on the field and applauding him because it appears that he's made up his mind to switch to WR. your take is different i can see.

yesterday the O was not very good. especially given the fact that the DL was paper thin. that's prolly why gailey was furious with the O yesterday.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Apologies for mixing up Ace for PJ Daniels. Whoever it was he took a terrific shot from Darryl Smith!

stateline and ylojk8, on the Bilbo thing, you're both reading into it what you think the crowd was trying to say with their applause. Whichever it is, I just hope Damarius appreciates that all Tech fans want him to stay and find a spot on the field where he can contribute.

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
Apologies for mixing up Ace for PJ Daniels. Whoever it was he took a terrific shot from Darryl Smith!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">no apologies required. at least you came down to see something first hand.

i'm no expert but here are my "unexpert" opinins anyways. PJ was dinged up early on and since he's come back, he's looked the best at RB. gailey has already stated that he's our starter.

behind PJ, the most consistent RB has been woods, the new #24.

ace continually gets dinged up and it's a darned shame. he can be a good back for us.

reshaun grant could really use a red shirt. but we can't afford to red shirt him with so few bodies at RB. grant has great speed and elusiveness.

our strength is at LB. key fox, daryl smith, ather brown are very good. then we have frosh .. nick moore, philip wheeler and kamichael hall. these frosh are unbelievable keeping in mind that they're frosh. underrated talent. to hell with those recruiting gurus .. these guys will turn heads.

also note that ball yesterday was the worst he has looked since day one fall practice. also note that this was the first time ball and all true freshmen have practiced and taken snaps in a scrimmage at bobby dodd stadium at historic grant field. maybe some jitters? speculation

ylojk8: Chris Woods did look good. Also, you maybe correct about Reshaun Grant could use a redshirt year, he did appear to be the one gamebreaker type we have at runningback. His ability in the open field was stunning. He really showed his stuff on one play around left end and towards the endzone.

Thanks Stateline for a good report, a not overly critical tone, and honest opinions. Sounds like you are an astute observer of the field.

Thank you ylo for your contributions, as always.

If our young guys have "guts", I think we will win more than the "experts" predict. If there is a shred of fear in anyone of them, it will show early on. Fearless football (imo) is all-out, full steam, and playing just as hard after you have taken a whale of a lick.

Very good report, stateline and J-lo.

Stateline, you mentioned that you'd like to see more Tenuta-style coaching. While I agree somewhat, I don't think all coaching should be in-your-face. I think an equal balance of good-guy (teaching), bad-guy (tough love) is the best way to go. Look at any good staff and there is a balance (a la F$U in their heyday, Amato and Richt).

Curious about Grant. Why do you feel he needs a RS year? IMO WR and RB are the two positions that true freshmen can step in and compete right away because they are more about instincts and pure talent. Sure they have to learn the schemes and maybe how to block, but it's not unusual for FR to take over those positions.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Curious about Grant. Why do you feel he needs a RS year? IMO WR and RB are the two positions that true freshmen can step in and compete right away because they are more about instincts and pure talent. Sure they have to learn the schemes and maybe how to block, but it's not unusual for FR to take over those positions.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">well i think grant could use a red shirt cause he could use an extra year to mature physically. but we can't afford to redshirt him and he will be on the field and hopefully he'll be a great player.

Originally posted by ncjacket:
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I guess you meant that question for ylojk8. Personally I want him on the field. If defenses pinch us between the tackles we will need that speed to get outside. Which reminds me that I saw no option yesterday! Now why is that? We appear to have at least two quarterbacks athlectic enough to run the triple option.

Originally posted by ContactBuzz:

Stateline, you mentioned that you'd like to see more Tenuta-style coaching. While I agree somewhat, I don't think all coaching should be in-your-face. I think an equal balance of good-guy (teaching), bad-guy (tough love) is the best way to go. Look at any good staff and there is a balance (a la F$U in their heyday, Amato and Richt).
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thats my judgement also. But the ratio yesterday was about 1 to the rest...what 7 or 8. Even when Suggs tossed that interception to Kenny Scott, or Reggie threw into tight double coverage, or one of numerous dropped passes, to finally the delay of game calls there was not a raised voice among any of the offensive coaches. Making anything of this is an opinion of the fan. But I am glad someone agrees. Note from AJC report that the offensive players ran wind sprints after practice. I wish they was sprints but they was more or less jogging.

Originally posted by ContactBuzz:

<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Thats my judgement also. But the ratio yesterday was about 1 to the rest...what 7 or 8. Even when Suggs tossed that interception to Kenny Scott, or Reggie threw into tight double coverage, or one of numerous dropped passes, to finally the delay of game calls there was not a raised voice among any of the offensive coaches. Making anything of this is an opinion of the fan. But I am glad someone agrees. Note from AJC report that the offensive players ran wind sprints after practice. I wish they was sprints but they was more or less jogging.

It is "old shoe", I know, but I am going to say it anyway.

Some kids respond to a hard kick in the rear end, and others respond to a pat on the back with words of encouragement/wisdom thrown in.

It is up to every wise coach to determine who needs what in order to get them to peak performance. Word to the wise (or unwise as the case may be): focus not only on the H.C.; but all coaches: they carry out the wishes of the H.C.

The superior head coach will not only coach the players, but lead his assistants. Judgement time: "END OF YEAR!!!!!!"

Back