Tonights Scrimmage

Stateline, can't remember where the article was but saw somewhere that they had cut the offense back quite a bit, just the basics, so they could see what the freshmen could handle. They've been adding things back at a steady pace and will continue to, probably all year. Don't know if the option will make an appearance but it may just be too soon.

nCjACKET: Again, in all honesty and sincere admiration of you: must extol your abilities to get to the crux of the matter and "cooly" answer all "semi-illiterates" and others who are just prejudiced to our present coaching staff. Thank you, I admire you greatly and only wish I had your cool/sesible manner of response. It eminates from brains and character!!!!! Again, thank you!!

I have seen a lot of criticism of various coaches' methods of teaching players.

Some coaches yell at players and some are soft spoken, but mean what they say. It really makes no difference what kind of method you use as long as it works, and you are consistent in your methods.

If you yell at someone all the time, you tend to discourage him. Three of the biggest assets in coaching is placing the right players in the right positions, being a good teacher, and instilling confidence in the players.

Personally, I like the method of Landry and Dodd. They loved their players; were soft spoken, but firm; instilled confidence in their players, called them to the side to correct and teach them, and basically had a calm approach to the game.

Of course, these coaches also knew their football. Gailey has proven he knows his football by his success at other stops. We will soon see if his methods of coaching match the demands of Tech athletes.

Father Time

You know, Ahso, I always think of one of the greatest of them all, here: Bud Wilkenson.
Sure, he played mostly against "inferiors", but also look at his bowl games.
Such a gentleman. Such a Winner!!!!!!!!!
smile.gif

Originally posted by techsamillion:
nCjACKET: Again, in all honesty and sincere admiration of you: must extol your abilities to get to the crux of the matter and "cooly" answer all "semi-illiterates" and others who are just prejudiced to our present coaching staff. Thank you, I admire you greatly and only wish I had your cool/sesible manner of response. It eminates from brains and character!!!!! Again, thank you!!
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Techs, I'm sorry if I am that "semi illiterate" with the "prejudiced" view. It was simply a question that occured to me at that moment. N.C. Jacket's answer may or maynot be right. Only the coaches and players know for sure.

Good response Stateline......I am notorious for misunderstanding folk's statements. Sincere regrets and the very best to you, my friend, not meaning offence. (Just jealous mostly, that you can ride and enjoy a motorcycle and I can't ((petrified fear))...!!)

Tech's: No offense taken, also no reason to be scared to ride a Harley unless you have to navigate Atlanta's traffic on a dailey basis! Whew!

Gotcha brother, but a motor scooter (old style) still scares the pejeebies out of me though I rode one effortlessly 52 years ago and panicly 15 yrs ago...anyway; I join with you in the Battle Cry!!!!!!!TECH BROTHERS/SISTERS UNITE!!!!!!!!!!
To the "bad place" with our enemies!!!!!!!
grin.gif

Dang Ahso,
I hate to take up space: but I am sorry I misspelled Bud's last name. That is a "no-no". Thank you for the correction. What a gentleman, what a coach. Everyone always thought he won only because he was in a weak conference, but he mostly proved them wrong (i.e. bowl games). He won because he knew how to handle young men and help them become the best that they could be: I think our man: Coach Chan has something of that ability and I hope it proves to be so.

Forgive me if I'm missing some collossal joke, fellows, but the Oklahoma coach was Bud Wilkinson , I'm pretty sure.

Shucks, belley, I thought it was the "Smirnoff" doing the spelling, so I apologized. Thanks for the reassurance of brain over alcohol and inate, sophisticated, articulated, ipso-facto knowledge of football in the 50s.

techs, thanks for the thought. Don't think stateline was going off on anything, just asking a question in this case. Although sometimes he does push it.
grin.gif

I figure we're all really Tech fans or we wouldn't spend so much time around here. Some people are just way overboard and I'm going to try to ignore them. Others are just passionate and even if I disagree I assume that we're after the same thing. My advice is not to post right away after something sets you off and try to keep things on point rather than getting personal. Can't say I always do it but that's life.

N.C.= Thanks for sage advice. I by admission am a reactionary. Four of my gr.gr. grandfathers sprung out and joined the South's cause in the "War". All returned but one: I fear I am much like them; esp. one(who did not return). More friends such as you could help round out my peronality. God has blessed you with wisdom. My psychoanalist several years ago advised me that I was one of those who, inadely/always, "wanted to take the first bullet" (sorry, V.A. talk); I more and more see that as truth. I spring out on this and other boards foolishly showing my readiness to die (intellectually/logically) or give over my intellect--or lack thereof for "the cause." I need friends such as you to admire and therefor from which to receive correction. Thanks. I receive.

I won't argue with either of you over Bud's name, because I don't know the correct spelling of it.

I could not even remember how it was pronounced. I generally spell by seeing the word in my mind. I have not seen his name lately, and the refresh function in my mind does not work as well as it did at one time.

Father Time

Originally posted by statelinejacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:
Curious about Grant. Why do you feel he needs a RS year? IMO WR and RB are the two positions that true freshmen can step in and compete right away because they are more about instincts and pure talent. Sure they have to learn the schemes and maybe how to block, but it's not unusual for FR to take over those positions.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I guess you meant that question for ylojk8. Personally I want him on the field. If defenses pinch us between the tackles we will need that speed to get outside. Which reminds me that I saw no option yesterday! Now why is that? We appear to have at least two quarterbacks athlectic enough to run the triple option.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Stateline, On 790 yesterday, Gailey was asked if the option would be included, and he said, (Almost verbatim), "Since this is public, I'm not going to comment on it."
Still keeping it close to the chest, but, personally, I think we're going to need some new wrinkles to get our team going, and a good option attack is a way to do just that. As we've seen from alot of team, if you have some athletes, and a good O-Line, the option can really get to an undisplined team. Here's hoping we see some option.

Originally posted by techsamillion:
It is "old shoe", I know, but I am going to say it anyway.

Some kids respond to a hard kick in the rear end, and others respond to a pat on the back with words of encouragement/wisdom thrown in.

It is up to every wise coach to determine who needs what in order to get them to peak performance. Word to the wise (or unwise as the case may be): focus not only on the H.C.; but all coaches: they carry out the wishes of the H.C.

The superior head coach will not only coach the players, but lead his assistants. Judgement time: "END OF YEAR!!!!!!"
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Great coaches, no matter what their manner is, have one thing in common: They have a plan and a means to get their. And its their way or the Highway. No dancing around players' emotions and all that crap. Each coach has a different mode, and yes, not one way is better than the other. But the best coaches treat the players all the same and demand the same from each player.

Originally posted by BeerNutts:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by statelinejacket:
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Originally posted by ncjacket:
Curious about Grant. Why do you feel he needs a RS year? IMO WR and RB are the two positions that true freshmen can step in and compete right away because they are more about instincts and pure talent. Sure they have to learn the schemes and maybe how to block, but it's not unusual for FR to take over those positions.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I guess you meant that question for ylojk8. Personally I want him on the field. If defenses pinch us between the tackles we will need that speed to get outside. Which reminds me that I saw no option yesterday! Now why is that? We appear to have at least two quarterbacks athlectic enough to run the triple option.</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Stateline, On 790 yesterday, Gailey was asked if the option would be included, and he said, (Almost verbatim), "Since this is public, I'm not going to comment on it."
Still keeping it close to the chest, but, personally, I think we're going to need some new wrinkles to get our team going, and a good option attack is a way to do just that. As we've seen from alot of team, if you have some athletes, and a good O-Line, the option can really get to an undisplined team. Here's hoping we see some option.
</font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I think the wrinkles will be added during the closed practices starting next week.

Gnome,
As a former coach, I have to honestly say I have seen both types work. The expectations are the same no matter the form of motivation, whether it differs (the motivation) from player to player or is constant.

It is not about "dancing around players' emotions and all that crap," it is about finding the right angle of motivation. I don't think you have to taylor-make a motivational plan for each player, but it is certainly advantageous to be aware of each player's "buttons."

I see where you are coming from, but I respectfully disagree (and BTW, I'm not against hard-nose grabbing the face mask and yelling and that sort of thing, so don't think I'm a new-age Phil Jackson type motivator--just have to know when and how to use it.)
smile.gif

Back