Tonights Scrimmage

Originally posted by ncjacket:
Gnome, I think you're totally wrong. What the best coaches have in common is a way to get all their players playing at the highest level of performance. They all work hard and expect perfection. That's about all the commonalities in style you'll find. Vince Lombardi didn't treat all his players the same, but he had the same expectations of each. Phil Jackson certainly doesn't treat all players the same, neither does Bill Parcels. I think you're mistaking their expectations and personality for treating everyone the same.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">Good points. But from my perspective right now, I am at a loss of words on Gailey. The press release would read something like this if it was Spurrier, or Friedgen, or the like: "We stunk on offense, couldnt score in the red zone. We stunk on defense, gave up huge plays. When you combine these 2 in a real game you lose. We have a long ways to go but only 2 weeks to be ready. These kids have got to pick it up now because they havent seen anything yet." At this stage, after that scrimmage, no compliments need to be given. Fear is the best motivator overall. I dont want these young kids to think they are even remotely there yet (in the papers). Yes, positive reinforcement is critical in practice. But at this stage, not in the public paers. My God that was ridiculous. This 50-50 stuff about some good some bad, played ok, yaddy yaddy yaddy is comical yet not amusing in the least. I am not bashing Gailey. I am saying I wish he wouldnt do it, but that's his style- I prefer another style that's all. But your points are very good and I agree to some extent.

I guess I just don't really care what the coaches say to the papers. I assume they are sending messages to fans not to players and that they are telling the players in the locker room what they really think. Coming off our season end last year and with all the negative talk already in the papers about us I don't think too much public criticism is a good idea right now. Not that the players would care IMO, but no reason to get the fanbase even more riled up than they are. In fact, there have been posters criticizing him for being too negative! (at least on the Hive) I tend to ignore that stuff.

Gnome, my father-in-law and brother-in-law consistently bash another coach who does that in the papers...Bobby Cox. Yes, different sport and it's pro, not college, but these kids obviously do read the papers because of some of the comments made year-before-last when MacWhorter was getting the team ready for the bowl game.

Remember that one of the obstacles with freshmen is that little bit of self-doubt about what it will be like to play at this level. At this point, they've only played against other Tech players...it'll be different when the lights come on in Utah. You can very rarely go wrong building up a young player's confidenc, IMHO.

Techsamillion, what part of Webster County do you live in? I'm from Buena Vista myself originally.

Originally posted by i_bleed_gold_white:
Gnome, my father-in-law and brother-in-law consistently bash another coach who does that in the papers...Bobby Cox. Yes, different sport and it's pro, not college, but these kids obviously do read the papers because of some of the comments made year-before-last when MacWhorter was getting the team ready for the bowl game.

Remember that one of the obstacles with freshmen is that little bit of self-doubt about what it will be like to play at this level. At this point, they've only played against other Tech players...it'll be different when the lights come on in Utah. You can very rarely go wrong building up a young player's confidenc, IMHO.

Techsamillion, what part of Webster County do you live in? I'm from Buena Vista myself originally.
<font size="2" face="Arial, Verdana, Sans-Serif">I just hope within the confines of their private practice, meetings etc, the message is much stronger than what we continue to see. This, pretty good, okay, some good some bad is hilarious. I wouldnt say a thing if that's what it is going to be. Joe Hamilton was face-masked by Friedgen walking off the field after an interception against I believe Wake Forest in his sophomore year. THat was when he was about to be benched for Brandon Shaw. After that, Joe got it the rest of the way for the next 2 1/2 years. I hope that's a part of the philosophy with these freshman.

Gnome, I think you're totally wrong. What the best coaches have in common is a way to get all their players playing at the highest level of performance. They all work hard and expect perfection. That's about all the commonalities in style you'll find. Vince Lombardi didn't treat all his players the same, but he had the same expectations of each. Phil Jackson certainly doesn't treat all players the same, neither does Bill Parcels. I think you're mistaking their expectations and personality for treating everyone the same.

Back