Top 50 recruits in Georgia

Well, we have common ground here! I agree completely that we have benefitted from special admits, but primarily in the time frame of your data. Not near as much today, but still happens. Since the late 60's we would have the equivalent of RICE's football legacy without exceptions. Exceptions however are self explanatory by definition. Our "exceptions" are the "norm" for a great many teams on our schedule. Prop 48 is minuscule in comparison to other changes since the 80s/90s.

That was a perfect storm recruiting year. That was a year in which the state was especially stacked with talent and a major factor in the successful recruiting of several stars in our 2007 class was the relationship between several of the mothers who went to college together, shared a preference for Tech, and became an active back channel in the recruiting of this class. Ex: Dwyer, Burnett, Nesbitt, D. Morgan, Roddy Jones.
Okay--that makes a lot of sense. I had no idea. I did know Burnett's older brother played at UGA (had to quit because of concussions). But I didn't know about that network of mothers.

I'm not one of the guys who follows recruiting religiously--at least not until January or so--but my belief has been this is far from the best GT can do. There are issues with it being a technology-focused school, sure. Being in Atlanta should actually help, though. We laugh about schools offering eighth graders and such, but the truth is, the best recruiting schools are building those relationships earlier and earlier. They're accepting "silents" and letting the kids go on all the trips to other schools (I don't know if Johnson still has the policy of dropping an offer if kids keep visiting). We tend to think it's this cold-blooded business, but there really is a huge relationship component; I just don't know how well Tech is doing with all this, getting in early and building those bonds. Gonna get killed for this, but watch Kirby Smart as time expires in a game, and half the players on the other team make a beeline to him to give him a hug. You just gotta be that guy to bring in the kind of talent it takes. Johnson and yes, Gailey are brilliant football minds; I'm not sure how they do connecting with the kids. It's best the head coach is that guy, but it can still work if you have some aces on your staff that kids would run through walls for. Maybe Woody can be that?

The fact that our current leadership is not handling things well should not be an indictment of our capabilities and future.

You are aware that entrance requirements have increased significantly since then, right?

There is a reason that your data is 20 years old.

Change leadership, do whatever you want, until the school changes (read: the hill, a prez that gives a crap, etc.) not much will change with respect to recruiting.

That doesn't mean that GT shouldn't be trying to consistently improve (and I think T Stan's efforts in those areas will help), but even with those tweaks, GT won't be pulling classes that you listed from 20+ years ago.

Last edited:
mm, there's are reasons why your data is ancient. They have been accurately noted on here enough times for you to know what they are. I see at least 6 names on your list that wouldn't even be invited for a visit today.
white players?

If you take a look at the 2019 Ga Top 50, you’ll see we have offered 64% of them. I’m sure the number would be even higher if we had an interest in some the tight ends, several of which are white. The link below usually shows which of our assistants is involved with the kid’s recruitment.
We’re offering kids like crazy. We simply can’t be delusional and believe that we can’t offer the best players as an excuse for clinging to the status quo.

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2019/georgia

If you take a look at the 2019 Ga Top 50, you’ll see we have offered 64% of them. I’m sure the number would be even higher if we had an interest in some the tight ends, several of which are white. The link below usually shows which of our assistants is involved with the kid’s recruitment.
We’re offering kids like crazy. We simply can’t be delusional and believe that we can’t offer the best players as an excuse for clinging to the status quo.

We are not going to get those kids when the SEC is paying them and we are not.

white players?
What's your point rw1? If the answer is yes........SO? REALITY is a bitch sometimes. Talk to Calvin Johnson's parents about what attracted them to Tech and then talk to Malcom Mitchell's parents about what attracted them to ugag. What might you guess their respective SAT scores were?(hint:one of them couldn't friggin read beyond an 8th grade level----got it?)

Last edited:
UGA has much better apparel options for women. Not sure how key of a factor that is in these recruit’s decision making process, but their mom’s hate it. If momma ain’t happy, then ain’t nobody happy.

UGA has much better apparel options for women. Not sure how key of a factor that is in these recruit’s decision making process, but their mom’s hate it. If momma ain’t happy, then ain’t nobody happy.
At the adidas launch event, my wife and I talked with the guy who designed the unis and he said that they are putting a heavy focus on getting better female clothing options, including tailored jerseys.

At the adidas launch event, my wife and I talked with the guy who designed the unis and he said that they are putting a heavy focus on getting better female clothing options, including tailored jerseys.

Will they make tailored authentic replica jerseys too? Asking for @gtphd

We can't recruit because of admissions.

We can't recruit because we don't pay.

WE CAN'T RECRUIT BECAUSE WE SUCK

Good info. I was curious about that. My impression is GT is doing better.

I saw a chart about most and least scholarship offers, and least (unsurprisingly) is Stanford, which has a unique situation. But in about fifth place is Mark Richt--same as at UGA. He was constantly getting in on top kids too late (Deshaun Watson, for example). Yeah, yeah, he recruited well, but he was almost fussy about it. Fromm was a five-star and Bama took him when he was a lifelong UGA fan. Then Smart came and offered him instantly.

The Bamas and Clemsons hand offers out like they're the old AOL free trial CDs. But they also get in early. Junior year is too late. And again, the militarization of the process means that to handle that kind of thing you need a small army of "assistants" who sit in a secluded room like an al Quaeda sleeper cell and coordinate all this. It's kind of sick, but Bama did it, then it bleeds down to everybody else.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Alabama has more designated recruiters than we have coaches. Relationships are important, but deep pockets help a lot.

I think Stansbury has us on a good path. Good facility upgrades coming, uniforms, some more ways to get the fans involved, etc. We are still a long way away from deep pockets and consistent competitor territory.

Okay--that makes a lot of sense. I had no idea. I did know Burnett's older brother played at UGA (had to quit because of concussions). But I didn't know about that network of mothers.

I'm not one of the guys who follows recruiting religiously--at least not until January or so--but my belief has been this is far from the best GT can do. There are issues with it being a technology-focused school, sure. Being in Atlanta should actually help, though. We laugh about schools offering eighth graders and such, but the truth is, the best recruiting schools are building those relationships earlier and earlier. They're accepting "silents" and letting the kids go on all the trips to other schools (I don't know if Johnson still has the policy of dropping an offer if kids keep visiting). We tend to think it's this cold-blooded business, but there really is a huge relationship component; I just don't know how well Tech is doing with all this, getting in early and building those bonds. Gonna get killed for this, but watch Kirby Smart as time expires in a game, and half the players on the other team make a beeline to him to give him a hug. You just gotta be that guy to bring in the kind of talent it takes. Johnson and yes, Gailey are brilliant football minds; I'm not sure how they do connecting with the kids. It's best the head coach is that guy, but it can still work if you have some aces on your staff that kids would run through walls for. Maybe Woody can be that?
If the easy “athlete major” at UGA was business, and not whatever cakewalk you currently have, would your recruiting suffer compared to your competition?

If the easy “athlete major” at UGA was business, and not whatever cakewalk you currently have, would your recruiting suffer compared to your competition?
Yeah I’d love to what uga could field if their SAs all had to enroll in Terry.

Yeah I’d love to what uga could field if their SAs all had to enroll in Terry.

I think you're exactly right. No question issues like this are legitimate reasons for our tougher path (vs the bogus "everyone's buying players but us"); just tired of the stale excuses that we can't offer the better players in Georgia when it's clear that we can and are. When you look at that Top 50, you'll see that for some reason we aren't on the offer list of a couple of guys, such as the kid from Marist, Hamilton, that committed to ND while considering Duke and Stanford, along with the top WR in the nation, Haselwood, who we've likely offered but his list is too long. There are a couple of other very good students on there we aren't showing as offered. Add in these and our offer percentage should easily be over 80%. Bottom line is that we appear to be in a position to go after about every one of these kids, which brings us back to the original point, and that's the frustration that so far we're whiffing on them all.
If we want to fix our problems, it's time to look in the mirror instead of casting stones.

Last edited:
I think you're exactly right. No question issues like this are legitimate reasons for our tougher path (vs the bogus "everyone's buying players but us"); just tired of the stale excuses that we can't offer the better players in Georgia when it's clear that we can and are. When you look at that Top 50, you'll see that for some reason we aren't on the offer list of a couple of guys, such as the kid from Marist, Hamilton, that committed to ND while considering Duke and Stanford, along with the top WR in the nation, Haselwood, who we've likely offered but his list is too long. There are a couple of other very good students on there we aren't showing as offered. Add in these and our offer percentage should easily be over 80%. Bottom line is that we appear to be in a position to go after about every one of these kids, which brings us back to the original point, and that's the frustration that so far we're whiffing on them all.
If we want to fix our problems, it's time to look in the mirror instead of casting stones.
I don’t think you can conclude much from individual cases. Plenty of guys don’t want Tech for reasons we can’t change — eg, some guys want to play close to home but plenty of others don’t. And for every long shot the staff spends time pursuing they’re investing less time in other players who are real possibilities.

Personally I think it’s a chicken and egg thing. The best players want to win and have a shot at the NFL. If we can do that more consistently we’ll get more interest from them.

Back